+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    But taking a positive spin on things, thats great! Youve come a step closer to understanding his unsettledness. In future, just what i would do, is when he has been awake for a while and is getting grizzly, instead of trying to settle him for sleep, always offer a feed first. A bit like feed, play, offer feed, sleep. If a bub is unable to settle, i think offering a feed is always useful - at least if he is not hungry, sometimes a breastfeed can just provide comfort. And i agree with pp about keeping a diary and writing down feed, sleep, grumpy, settling, etc times - it really helps bring clarity to his needs.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

olismumma  (03-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Just now he was getting really grizzly & cranky so I assumed he was tired so I put him in the pram & he started really screaming. Even though I walked with the pram he just screamed the whole time until I picked him up. Then I trisd him in his rocker & he started cracking up again. So then I took him intto the dark study & sat with him on the spinning office chair. He settled a bit but wouldnt sleep. Then he started cracking up agsin & I had no idea what was wrong so I tried him on my boob & he started feeding

So I just spent 45 minutes trying to get him to gl to sleep when he was hungry I wish I could read his cues, I just get so confused about what he wants

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    You've probably heard it before but breastfed babies dont always just feed for fuel they feed for comfort too. Its a tough gig breastfeeding!
    I second the writing your days down so u can physically see where you are at but if all else fails and you dont mind, let him have a small feed. If its all thats soothing him for the moment try and go with it. He might be happier to go in a pram then

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't forget how smart these little cookies are - when you are stressed they feel it too and it upsets them. I know it's easier said than done, but trying a few deep breathes and calming yourself may help him relax. Don't get me wrong, when DD doesn't settle I feel my blood pressure rising too but funnily enough the more stressed I am, the harder she is to settle - this may be why he settles easier for your DP. Your DP is probably more relaxed because he hasn't been doing it all day long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    . And while I demand fed and didn't follow a routine apart from feed play sleep I did use resources to give me a guide as to how long roughly a baby of her age could be awake for. That helped when I just couldn't read her tired (or any signs).
    Agree with this. I found it hard at first to work out when bub was hungry v tired... I had no idea about how long a bub of whatever age should be up for... So I googled.. This was one of the things that led me to SOS.... The routines contained easy to understand guides on ideal awake times etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks ladies!

Yay ive managed to get him down twice today! First time he slept for almost 3 hours & I just put him down again

Hopefully the new stuff I did works next time I try

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to heartstringz For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (03-10-2014),bezzy  (03-10-2014),Busy-Bee  (09-10-2014),HeavenBlue  (09-10-2014),Kellbell85  (03-10-2014),olismumma  (03-10-2014),Tippytoes  (03-10-2014),VicPark  (03-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Thanks ladies!

Yay ive managed to get him down twice today! First time he slept for almost 3 hours & I just put him down again

Hopefully the new stuff I did works next time I try

That's awesome! What did you try?

3 hours is fabulous!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yay! Winning! What did you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Took him into the dark study & sat with him on the spinning office chair for a while but didnt talk to him at all. Then took him into his room, wrapped him & put him in his cot & patted & shushed without making eye contact. He started crying so I picked him up before he got too upset & rocked him in my arms till he was almost asleep then put him back in his cot & patted & shushed.

11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to heartstringz For This Useful Post:

Cue  (03-10-2014),HeavenBlue  (09-10-2014),Kellbell85  (03-10-2014),LaDiDah  (09-10-2014),olismumma  (03-10-2014),peanutmonkey  (03-10-2014),smallpotatoes  (09-10-2014),Tippytoes  (03-10-2014),VicPark  (03-10-2014),wobbleyhorse  (03-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well done!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    But taking a positive spin on things, thats great! Youve come a step closer to understanding his unsettledness. In future, just what i would do, is when he has been awake for a while and is getting grizzly, instead of trying to settle him for sleep, always offer a feed first. A bit like feed, play, offer feed, sleep. If a bub is unable to settle, i think offering a feed is always useful - at least if he is not hungry, sometimes a breastfeed can just provide comfort. And i agree with pp about keeping a diary and writing down feed, sleep, grumpy, settling, etc times - it really helps bring clarity to his needs.
    I recently started doing feed, play, feed, sleep like suggested above with 10wk old DS and this week he has started having one long nap per day that lasts 2-4hrs. He still has maybe 2 short sleeps of 30 or 40mins but that one big sleep makes a huge difference to my day. I hope your DS starts sleeping consistently for you.
    Last edited by Cue; 03-10-2014 at 14:23.