+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Keep bub in a quiet dark room, with minimal stimulation. No TV or radio. For hours or days if needed. Then feed/rock/pat/swaddle/put bub in a vibrating chair..... Do what you have to do. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    I dont drive. Im still getting him used to the carrier, he's only been in it a few times & at this stage will only last 10 minutes before he starts cracking up - he wont sleep in it yet.

He sleeps in his pram but as soon as I open the garage door to come back home he wakes up. Theres nowhere to walk to in order to give him a good hour-two hour sleep.

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    If he sleeps in the pram when you are out walking, what if you had the pram inside and just rock it repeatedly back and forth until he is asleep? I've even seen people find a 'bump' like the edge of carpet, and rock the pram back and forth over the bump so that the baby gets a bit of jiggling.

Another thing that worked with my DD (reflux baby) was me sitting back a bit on the couch, so that I was in quite a reclined position. I'd then cuddle her upright against my chest (her chest to mine), so that her head was just below my chin, and my hands one under her bum and one on her back. I'd sit back with her very quietly and peacefully, and do some really deep, slow breathing, so that she would feel the up/down motion of my deep breaths. I might also gently pat her bum, but the deep breaths were usually very relaxing and peaceful for both of us, and she would usually gently drift off to sleep.

Also, have you tried any wind/ colic medicines like Infants Friend, or Infacol? Or Infant Gaviscon, just to test and see if it is possibly reflux?

Another thing I wonder is if he will settle for your DH but not for you, is there any chance he could want more milk? Sometimes if my babies wanted to suck for comfort or have more milk, they would settle better for DH than me, because they can sense/ smell the milk on you. Have you tried to feed him, have play time, feed him again when he becomes unsettled, and then hopefully he would become drowsy/ sleepy during that feed, and then will sleep? When he gets unsettled after a play time, have you tried feeding again, and how did he respond?

I know it's tough right now, some babies are such a mystery and you are doing such a good job working to hard to figure out his ways! xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was the same...Would not sleep at all through the day. i was at my wits end and he would just be so overtired and cry all day and was so unsettled. Occasionally he would fall asleep with the vaccuum cleaner going and being rocked in my arms. I eventually found out he had reflux though and once on medication was a dream and became such a happy, content baby and started having naps in the day. Not saying that your baby has reflux, but just something to think about if nothing is working to settle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by olismumma View Post
    @heartstringz ive been reading some of your posts and can tell you are really struggling
    Alot of what you are going through sounds exactly what I went through with my dd, from the no sleeping, bubs falling asleep at the breast and just the struggle of feeling alone when your other half is at work... the amount of times I rang my dh absolutely beside myself that he had to leave work happened more than id like to admit. I attended 3 day stays at sleep school, had 1 week in a residential stay and had "sleep consultants" come to us.
    I also felt very isolated even though I could drive I barely left the house for fear of being judged and the stress of having to breastfeed in public. .. so I guess I just want you to know I hear where you are coming from and I really do understand. I haven't responded to any previous threads as you are getting quite alot of good advice and I can see there is alot of support for you.... anyways i dont know if its been mentioned before but I really think it sounds like bubs may have reflux. Just something to consider. My dd wasnt diagnosed until 3 months old and it was only after taking her to emergency dept that I got answers and the pediatrician's listened to me. All the gps and mchn I saw never understood how much I was struggling with her and put it down to my pnd diagnosis. One gp even said to me "babies cry!" Just like it was nothing. So I really do hear you.
    Also as hard as it may be to hear it, bubs will be picking up on your anxiety. Its hard but you need to try and find or make time for yourself. If bub is fed, clean, safe then pop him in a bouncer or swing and make a cuppa. Yes he might have a grizzle but that's ok!
    Even take him outside with you and enjoy some vit d together, it will do you both a world of good! Also I think it was you that mentioned back troubles and struggling with a carrier.. if so a stretchy wrap is a great start and will give you some freedom to get things done and he can fall asleep knowing he's with you. I understand if you feel "touched out" but just see the light at the end of the tunnel, this too shall pass ( I got this tattooed on me before dd turned 1 to remind me it does go quick and we survive)
    And I just want to let you know it does get easier, I promise! And really it goes so quick the time. Its great that you are looking for advice but just find what works for YOU and your BUB.. no-one knows better than you, even if you lack confidence believe this!
    You are doing a great job and you are a great mum. You wanting to find out all the answers to these issues shows this.
    If you ever need to chat pls pm me

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    @heartstrings I could have written the same thing here as olismumma my ds was the same. I insisted he had silent reflux to a doctor (in fact the doctor trusted what I had said) and prescribed losec. He was a different child. I was completely at my wits end, I hated everything. We also saw a chiropractor a few times. I let it go on four months thinking I just had an unhappy baby. It nearly wrecked me.

I recommend seeing a doctor who will listen to your concerns.

Also, if it's hot where you are I wouldn't recommend a beanbag, my eldest nearly cooked in one it got so hot and I'm in victoria!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bellibean For This Useful Post:

Kellbell85  (03-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a side note, what really convinced me in the end that ds had silent reflux was a simple dose of infants friend.

After a massive screaming match, a dose of infants friend would stop the crying immediately. I assumed this was because he had a sore throat from the acid in his throat and the iF would sooth it immediately.

Maybe something to try, I think a pp mentioned something similar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @heartstringz how ru going today?
    Ive been racking my brain just thinking of what helped me and my dd. In my post I should've said my dd had silent reflux which was obviously harder to diagnose. When she was diagnosed she was put on zantac for a week which didnt help so I went back to pediatrician and he gave her losec... this saved us all!
    Here are just a few more things that helped us:
    My dd also wouldn't take a dummy until she was 8 weeks old, my boobies were her dummy. She was seriously on me constantly! The first sleep school we took her only let me feed her for 45mins then took her off me and gave her a happy baby cherry dummy in one size bigger than her age. It was the 3-6 month one im pretty sure and to get her to suck they used a little gripe water in a syringe, it worked a treat! I was even telling them "you wont be able to get her to take it"
    And from then on she took her dummy. We didnt even have to use gripe water for long!
    I still fed 3 hrly due to failure to thrive but it meant she fed more efficiently.
    Bouncing on a swissball when bubs is distressed but only until he calms. Try not to use it as a sleep aid (though i did ) as it may become an issue down the track. But if he does fall asleep I think thats great, u just will have to hold him for 20 mins until hes in a deep sleep as I did then put him down. If he wakes try ssshing him while tapping his back, bum or mattress. White noise and lullabies helped us here when we used to have to do this. I know another sleep aid! But who cares, just go with it and get yourself the break!!!
    Swaddling in angel position not with arms straight down as we are taught, also taught at the same sleep school as dummy story. Baby can learn to touch his face to soothe himself, we got told to just buy a long peice of cotton jersey to do this. It helped alot and I wasted so much money on other swaddling products
    Another couple of things that helped us even when dd was diagnosed with silent reflux gaviscon!!!!! Ive forgotten the dosage but pls go to your pharmacist ask and give it a try, even to just rule out and pain.
    Infacol also helped us in the early stages (from about 2 months) to try get some wind up.. though looking back I dont know if it helped, I think me learning to feed better and not stimulating dd so much at a young age helped.
    Please take what you will from this, I really just hope that maybe something resonates with you and maybe it will help

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just now he was getting really grizzly & cranky so I assumed he was tired so I put him in the pram & he started really screaming. Even though I walked with the pram he just screamed the whole time until I picked him up. Then I trisd him in his rocker & he started cracking up again. So then I took him intto the dark study & sat with him on the spinning office chair. He settled a bit but wouldnt sleep. Then he started cracking up agsin & I had no idea what was wrong so I tried him on my boob & he started feeding

So I just spent 45 minutes trying to get him to gl to sleep when he was hungry I wish I could read his cues, I just get so confused about what he wants

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's an app I found called sound sleeper which is a white noise app. It has a lot of different sounds and something they call listen mode where once bub is asleep if he stirs or cries it hears him and starts the sound for a time then turns off again. Ive found it helpful when DS is stirring at night but doesn't actually need anything (feeding etc). There's a free version you can try (all I've used at the moment). He might find one of the sounds soothing.

I also wrap with arms up (the hospital taught me this before we went home), my DS likes to be able to touch his chin and give his hands a suck through the wrap. I tried putting him in one of those zip up wraps last night with arms across his chest and he screamed the house down instantly! If your bub can self soothe a bit easier perhaps it could help? Even if he is used to one style of wrapping he may prefer another more so might be worth a shot.

Singing soothing songs while standing and rocking him also gets my DS off to sleep pretty quickly too (I'm sure you've tried this though).

If he likes his pram pop him in there and just rock him for as long as it takes. My friends bub went through a period of staying awake all night every night, this was the only thing that worked for her.

I've read a lot of your threads too and I know you're finding things pretty difficult, hang in there! Hoping the sleep consultant can help you next week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Have you tried writing it down? With DD1 I was clueless so I wrote down when she woke, when she last fed, when last nappy was etc. And while I demand fed and didn't follow a routine apart from feed play sleep I did use resources to give me a guide as to how long roughly a baby of her age could be awake for. That helped when I just couldn't read her tired (or any signs).

But I've never had a baby sleep through at that age and some friends whose babies did say would often comment that they were shocking day sleepers

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

olismumma  (03-10-2014),Stretched  (03-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with the pp. I tried my DS on a small dose of mylanta (1ml) and it soothed him, that's how I found out it was reflux. Took him to the dr and got losec and he becme a different bub. I didn't want to be 'one of those mums' going to the dr because my baby cried. Was the best thing I ever did. I kept thinking my milk was running low or he was hungry as I would put him on the boob if he wouldn't settle and he would have small feeds constantly. But once diagnosed realised what he was doing was trying to soothe the burning from the reflux with the milk...which soothes it at the time until they reflux again...

Another way he would sleep would be to lay beside him on the couch/bed and breastfeed him to sleep and just lay there while he slept. Not a long term solution, but it got me through some days I just didnt know what to do anymore.

I would recommend a trip to your GP though, it can't hurt.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kellbell85 For This Useful Post:

olismumma  (03-10-2014)