+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How far into labour did you go to hospital? *spin off*

For those who have had hospital births...

How long did you labour at home before you went in to hospital?

With my first, I rang the hospital to let them know when I was sure that I was in labour. They advised me to stay comfortable at home until my contractions were 2 mins apart, and lasting one min. each. I was happy to do this, and when I went in to the hospital, I was there for about an hour or less before I gave birth.

Second was an induction, so I was already there!

I know some people rush in at the first sign of labour, only to be told it's false labour, or to be sent home again because it's too early. My Mum always told me it's best to stay at home as long as possible, because it makes the labour feel quicker.

I know some people also have very fast labours (an hour or less all up) - I guess in this situation, you really would need to rush in to hospital ASAP - but usually I would personally feel like it's best to labour at home for a while.

What is your opinion, and what did you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    First baby I did as you did and waited until contractions were 2 mins apart but had been speaking to them all day. Was still there over 12 hours prior to giving birth!!

This time we have moved and it will take at least an hour up to 1 1/2 to get there depending on traffic. They have told me I will need to come in much sooner as they don't want me stuck en route and birthing and also they keep saying it'll be much faster this time.

Not so convinced but I'm due today so I'll tell you in the next week or so if they were right!! Will probably go somewhere between 5-8 min apart.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    with my first i went when contractions were 1-2 minutes apart and when i got there i was 8 cms dialated..........11 hrs later he ws born

my second, my waters broke in hospital at 28 weeks and i was stuck there until birth.

this time i am 1.5 hrs from hospital so i have no idea. :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    First baby I had 3 days of awful prelabour. Once the pain was unbearable I went in and I was 4cm. He was posterior so it was an awfully long process!

Second baby my waters broke at 36+5 but labour didn't start so I went in. I was admitted straight away and was induced 2 days later.

Third baby was a csection so no labour!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    First baby I felt the first contraction at about 10pm on a Tues night but they weren't strong and about 10mins apart. We called the hospital to give them the heads up at 11am on Wednesday with contractions 5min apart but I was happy to stay home as I was managing fine. We went in at 4pm when they suddenly went to 2-3mins apart and very painful but I was barely dilated. Chose to stay and use the gas as contractions were really strong. DD was born at 8:30am on Thursday.

Second baby was induced so I was there from the start.

It's much better starting off at home. There's more to entertain / distract you and it's more comfortable. If I was ever to have another I would stay at home as long as I was managing without pain relief.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS my waters were leaking at 35 weeks, nurses told me I had probably wet my pants but after they realised it was amniotic fluid I was admitted at 11:00am. Waters broke properly at 02:30am, he was induced and born another 19 hours after that. We only lived around the corner.

DD, we lived 1 hour away. We went into early labour about 21:30pm, arrived at hospital at 6cms/06:30am and she was born at 14:30pm at 41+1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Waters broke (flooded!) at 36+6 and then started contractions although a fair bit apart from memory. Hospital wanted me to come in then which was fine with me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    First time laboured at home all day. Had called midwife in the morning to let her know and confirm it was the real thing. She said to call when I was having 3 contractions within 10 mins which was about 5:30pm. I was coping ok so I was told to stay home a bit longer. At 7:30 we called again and half an hour later I decided I wanted to go to hospital. I got there just after 9pm. Waters broke around 9:30pm and baby born at 1am.

Second time contractions were a bit erratic during the night and I wasn't really sure if it was labour or not. I called my midwife around 8am, she said to meet her at the hospital at 9am. I thought I'd be sent home but she did a stretch and sweep around 10am and baby born at 1pm.

Both times I was at the Birth centre for 3-4hrs before the Birth which I think was perfect. I was happy to labour at home up until then.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I got there at 8cm while the MW in charge was telling me over the phone to stay home as my contractions were not even close to painful because I could speak and walk through them...
    Lucky I did not listen to the old cow or I would have home birth (def not something I'd entertain!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    First time I went in when my waters broke and was told to come back in 8 hours. Lasted 4 hours and baby was born 11 hours after going to hospital. I only went in so early because I was at my bil's place with mil watching my every love so couldn't do what I wanted. I ended up with a c section but was fully dilated.

Second and third time I was supposed to go in when contractions were 10 minutes apart. Left home when they were about 7 minutes apart, 45 minutes to hospital and bubs arrived 2 hours later - dr was not happy with me.
    Number three I rang just after midnight with pains every minute lasting 10 seconds. Got told to take 2 panadol and go to bed. 2:30am rang and said I was going in, got told that was ok, they would check me to see if I was in labour. Got to hospy an hour later, baby arrived about an hour later. I made sure I had a contraction in front of the stupid midwife so she could see I was in labour.