+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Cubby house or swing / slide set?

We're thinking of getting our 19mo daughter a big outdoor gift for Christmas. She'll be 22 months at the time. We were initially thinking of a cubby house it or I'm thinking she might get more use out of a swing and slide set. She already has a great imagination so I can imagine her playing house or schools in a cubby house but she's also very active and loves outdoor play.
    What do you have and what do your kids prefer?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Get a cubby with a slide! We have a cubby/fort with a slide and DS loves it, my SIL bought her daughter a cubby with slide for her 2nd birthday and she loves it - now at 3 she invites DS up for tea parties!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just to throw a spanner in the works I vote trampoline!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (01-10-2014),Molly19  (01-10-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (01-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Get a cubby with a slide! We have a cubby/fort with a slide and DS loves it, my SIL bought her daughter a cubby with slide for her 2nd birthday and she loves it - now at 3 she invites DS up for tea parties!
    This. I'd love something like that in our yard but it's just not big enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    We have both - the swing set and slide get way more use than our huge cubby.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Personally, I'd avoid a swing set for a young toddler purely out of laziness. Most swing sets are difficult for little ones to get onto/off of themselves. My daughter LOVES swings, and there's no way in hell I'd voluntarily take her on/off/on/off the swings all day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hands down the cubby house! Our cubby house gets a lot of use, the kids absolutely love it. We have set it up with a bell, a slide to race cars down and a bucket that they can pull up with a pulley. There are so many things you can do with them. Our swing set on the other hand barely gets used and when it does it involves me lifting in and out and pushing until they get sick of it (which can seem like forever hahha!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Personally I wish we'd skipped the cubby and just got a fort. We've had a lot of problems with waterproofing our cubby so it gets really wet and then really dirty. It also gets spiders in it which freak the kids. They spend their whole time up the top on it anyway. A fort with a slide would have been fine.

They also love their swings but are old enough to play independently. I would just get a double swing though and forget the rest as they never play on the other parts you usually see on backyard sets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    we have one of those plastic square things with a slide on it (I think little tykes type things) and I put a big sheet over it when she wanted to play cubby houses. She would play far longer when it was a cubby than a slide. She's played in many of those ground level portable type cubbies happily that are close to the house.

Now at 4.5 years we've built a huge wooden cubby with verandah, power, etc in the back yard but DD is hesitant to go out by herself unless we're playing in it with her. She'll still happily play in the smaller cubby if its in near the house.

We've also got a green hills type slide that is NEVER used and a hammock type swing that is used occasionally if DH is in it with her.