+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 3yo tantrums over getting dressed

My DD is a nightmare at the moment about getting dressed in the morning. She recently got a frozen costume and usually refuses to wear anything but this.
    On childcare days she knows that she can't wear it, but refuses to put on anything else. Have tried giving her the choice of 2 outfits, but chooses none, or starts pulling out other clothes to wear. If she chooses something it is usually totally inappropriate, summer dress when weather is cold, and won't put on a jumper etc.
    Have also tried a reward chart for getting dressed without a fight, but reward charts don't seem to work that well for her yet. Any other suggestions?
    She has become significantly worse since her little brother was born, so maybe the tantrums will resolve with time, but they are doing my head in at the moment!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It costs me 2 mini marshmallows to get DD (3) dressed in the morning. Before that it used to be at least half an hour of screaming! Now she is the one reminding me to get her dressed!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pandamonium For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (01-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a bribery user too it costs me one jelly bean to get him dressed!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FuddyMum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bribery! Why didn't I think of that? I might have to relax my stance on lollies for a while, or maybe I could try bribery with dates or sultanas, she likes those...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have a 3 year old dd who does the exact same thing with her Frozen costume or any other dress/costume she gets fixated on. So many mornings we have had battles because she will want to dress in a leotard to preschool or something else super inappropriate and just refuse anything else.

I now resort to hiding her favourite things in the top of the wardrobe so she forgets about them for a little while (and me too , so many things I've forgotten I have hidden).

As for the mornings, the night before, we go to her bedroom and choose what she is wearing the next day/or I choose it (I give her 2/3 options) and I lay it on the end of her bed and tell her that's what you will be wearing tomorrow.

As soon as she wakes up, the 'first' thing she has to do is get dressed and if she refuses to put on what we already have laid out, I tell her she will be going to Preschool in her pyjamas and she knows I mean business. If it's not a preschool morning and she's not complying, I usually resort to some sort of bribe, either going to the park that day or a treat of something that she likes, not necessarily lollies all the time.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My boy started being a turkey getting dressed at around 2.5 years old. What worked for us is myself repeating steps for him eg "clothes, potty, peppa, shoes, school". I would repeat he steps multiple times and it's like a switch flicked and he realised there is something worth living for after getting dressed.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (01-10-2014)