+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do I need a breast pump??

So I'm 39weeks pregnant. Planning on breastfeeding. I've been hand expressing colostrum for about 2 weeks now. I'm getting anywhere between 4 and 9 mls per day. If all goes to plan, I'd like to breastfeed for as long as possible, but will have to go back to work when baby is about 9 months old (unless we win lotto or DH doubles his salary...not likely). I'm just wondering when I should look into getting a breast pump. Will it be easier to pump if I start early or does it not really matter when you start pumping?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Really it didn't matter having one for us. We didn't buy a pump until a month or two after baby and only on a whim because I had a blocked duct that bub just couldn't work out. Had it not been for that I would have never probably bought one as I only started recently using it a month ago (when bub was 8 months old) when my supply dropped due to pregnancy.

I think you can get away with seeing how you go and just go get one if you wish. Good work on the colostrum expressing also

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I take it you want to build up a freezer supply?
    If so, I would leave it until baby arrives and see how you go.
    Establish your supply first and then if all is going well, begin pumping for storage.
    I'm not sure but I wouldn't imagine the milk you'd be producing for a newborn would be suitable for a 9mth old? Some one else might have more info on that though. It's something I've wondered but never looked up.

Just going on my experience, I definitely wouldn't buy one before baby arrives though.
    I hired one a couple of weeks after DS2 was born in the hope of DH sharing the feeds. Lucky I only hired and didn't buy because DS2 refused the bottle full stop! There was no way he was having anything other than fresh from the boob!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are going need one anyway I would buy it before bub comes along. You never know if you might need it in the early days and it is a pain to have to go out and buy one.
    You might not need to express until bub much older but you never know.
    Also would advise introducing the odd bottle before 4 months, both of mine refused bottles for a long time, although at 9 months you might be able to give ebm via a sippy cup.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The advice I was given in hospital was to wait until about 6 weeks so as not to produce an oversupply and risk mastitis. The midwife told me that all the mastitis cases that she sees that require hospitalisation have been due to over eager pumping. I didn't have any issues with latch or undersupply though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would get a pump from the very start and at least pump one of your feeds a week and give bub a bottle, otherwise they might refuse the bottle when you want to use it later. I had a pump from the start with my first bub but I didn't really attempt to pump anything extra than he was drinking, so I didn't have any mastitis - in fact it can be quite useful if you are feeling any pain in one area you can pump a little and aim in the right direction to drain away any pressure.

Although I already had a breast pump ready, I had to use a double hospital pump for the first 2 weeks while I was getting breastfeeding established - he wouldn't latch so I had to try to latch for 5 mins each feed and then give up and feed expressed milk, then rinse and repeat. After a couple of LC appointments we were feeding properly, but I still expressed occasionally to give hubby and family the opportunity to feed him and keep him used to the bottle. That worked out very well and it was a great bonding experience for the fam.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't buy one and then on our first day home I needed one because my milk came in and I was so engorged that ds couldn't latch. I needed to pump some off to soften up the basketballs lol! I'll have one this time ready to go. I'm getting an ameda or spectra this time, similar price to the medela swing, but is a double and a closed system, which is safer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't buy a pump until after my dd was born. I know plenty of people who have bought them & used them everyday from birth. I know plenty of people who bought them & never used them. It just depends on you personally. I preferred to wait & see if I needed one/wanted one when I actually started breast feeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never bought or used one
    I was told by most midwives not to get one because it just produces more milk and risk of mastitis
    I thought maybe if I was going to away from dd for more than 4 hours or so then I may have hired one, but never did.
    Some women need one though if bub doesn't latch or under supply
    Last edited by Kazza78; 01-10-2014 at 17:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't buy one til after but then regretted my purchase as pumping was incredibly tedious and I got very little. I used mine about 4 times then couldn't be bothered using it after. But if I hadn't have bought it and given it a go, I wouldn't have known that pumping didn't work for me. We have EBF for a year now, with pretty much no breast pump use.
    Let me just clarify - I had plenty soreness with breastfeeding for months so if it wasn't incredibly tedious to pump and I got good amounts, I would have liked to pump and give EBM every so often to give me a break. It just didn't work for me. Perhaps rent a hospital pump first to see how you go?
    Good luck in this exciting time.