+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    I completely disagree with this advice. Call an ambulance. Especially if you are bleeding, in pain (not contractions) or have green/brown liquor.

If you're thinking a taxi is appropriate then your probably not in labour and don't need to be going to hospital anyway.

Isn't ambulance cover only $30 or something. Or move to QLD where you don't need ambulance cover and don't get bills.

The ambulance might not take you to your chosen birth hospital (even if it's the closet).
    I remember enquiring about it because Dh would often work far away and I needed to look at other options.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    I completely disagree with this advice. Call an ambulance. Especially if you are bleeding, in pain (not contractions) or have green/brown liquor.

If you're thinking a taxi is appropriate then your probably not in labour and don't need to be going to hospital anyway.

Isn't ambulance cover only $30 or something. Or move to QLD where you don't need ambulance cover and don't get bills.
    Of course you should call an ambulance if you are experiencing an emergency such as bleeding! I think that's pretty obvious. But in my opinion, you do not call an ambulance to transport you to the hospital when you are in the early stages of labour, that's just absurd. The ambulance service is stretched beyond belief, they are not to be used as a taxi service because you don't have a car. If you feel labour is progressing, call a cab. If you feel you're experiencing a medical emergency, call an ambulance. Diverting emergency resources away from the real emergencies is not a good idea IMO. To say "if you're thinking a taxi is appropriate then your probably not in labour and don't need to be going to hospital anyway" is a strange thing to say. I've had two babies now, and both times my husband drove me to the hospital and although I was uncomfortable I managed to make the 45 min drive without the assistance of an ambulance. I was definitely in labour! Should I have called an ambulance then do you think? I think some common sense needs to be applied to the situation. Because you are relying on a cab, you may make the decision to go to hospital a little bit earlier than what you would if you were being driven in by your partner. But of course, if you find yourself in full blown labour or bleeding or leaking meconium then yes call an ambulance.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (01-10-2014),LoveLivesHere  (01-10-2014),Mopoke  (01-10-2014),SHAELEEJANE  (01-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I guess it depends on how early in the labour you plan to go to hospital. I preferred to labour on my own at home until my contractions were 2ish mins apart, and then make the trip in to hospital and give birth within the hour. By this stage, yes, you would probably be bleeding and may have waters leak, etc. Some poeple prefer to rush in to hospital at the first sign of labour. If you (and your hospital) are happy for you to go there very early in the labour, then a taxi would probably suffice. If you wait a little longer and prefer to labour at home, you would need to be calling an ambulance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You can call different taxi companies and find out if they have policies on transporting a woman in labor. That way you will know who to call when the time comes.