+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Does every breastfeeder own a breast pump?

I am trying to decide if ill need to buy a new breast pump as my current one has died.

I had to start off exclusively pumping for DS as he was 8 weeks prem. The pumping caused me t produce 4 times more milk than i needed for DS ... so i don't have any supply issues. I suffered a lot with blocked ducts and a few bouts of mastitis.

Even if i make it to full term with #2, and manage to EBF her from the beginning - is a pump still needed do you think?

Or will my milk supply likely be more normal because i wont be pumping the crap out of my breasts all the time?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I asked the same question when expecting no 2. I had a few bouts mastitis with no1 and it was a god send for that alone, I didn't express feed though. I ended up getting a hand express pump due to the price and being unsure if I'd need it. I've used it once when I was engorged in the early days, its 7 months now, I've not touched it since. Maybe you could have an inexpensive one just in case, or I believe you can hire them ?? I believe your milk supply will be fine without pumping, as long as Lil one is feeding frequently and all is well.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamer1 For This Useful Post:

Serenity Love  (01-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't need a pump till I had to go back to work. Then I had to run out and buy one. I had no supply issues so I was very lucky.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. Maybe i'll just see how it all goes. I keep wondering if it will be the same as it was when i BF DS, but that's not likely unless #2 is prem also ... but i don't think she will be she seems very happy where she is for a while i think! So hard to know what to do. I guess ill just play it by ear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, this one doesn't.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is nearly 4 months old & I'm just about to buy a pump only so I can do a few shifts at work, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I used my pump a fair bit so I could be away from bub. I would express and freeze.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I have fed 6 kids without one. I could always hand express if needed

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I initially had oversupply/engorgment both times so I needed it to express for comfort and to prevent mastitis. #2 refused to drink from a bottle so I had to delay going back to work so I only used it a couple of times when he bit me and it hurt to feed off one side (would've hand expressed if I didn't already have the pump). #1 I used it a few times to leave him while I went out and then expressed at work for a couple of months before he decided to wean.

I would suggest getting one if you see one for a good price. If you can find a closed system one then you could buy second hand and/or sell when you're done with it. Or join the ABA for cheap hire or a lot of pharmacies also hire them. For me it was a God-send to relieve engorgement and also #1 had attachment issues due to the engorgement and a flat nipple so I was able to keep feeding him until I discovered nipple shields. Neither of my babies were prem but I had oversupply both times so maybe you will again??

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Noty For This Useful Post: