+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    I understand the wet face washer gently touched against a newborn's face to rouse them; the sensation will wake them up etc, I get that, newborns can't respond to their name being called out, an alarm clock or similar. I understand why some professionals would recommend that practice.
    I think what alarmed some was the ice down the pyjamas tactic for a 2 year old and even older child... to me it came across as almost a punishment type of tactic; as in, if you don't get up you'll get ice down your clothes. Sorry, but that is how it was read. Like a PP said, at that age it would not be a very pleasant way to be woken up of a morning; and why not pick them up and carry them over to the shower if they are such deep sleepers? I think also the description of throwing a wet face washer at their faces wasn't received well and probably taken the wrong way. Sitting beside them, stroking their faces with a cold flannel, well, I have to say I've never heard of it before now but it certainly doesn't sound harsh at all.
    I also respect that there a million and one ways to parent and what works for one family may not necessarily work for another.
    But the thought of using ice, even as a last resort, I don't know, I can't get my head around that one.

Me 32, He 35, DS 14, DD 2
    So once more I will elaborate. A wet face washer is a last resort in the mornings. No I dont have time or the inclination to carry 20kg + children to the shower to wake them up whilst fully dressed for work with make up at 5.45am.

Yes the ice cube is a 'punishment ' thing as it tickles them. On a 32 degree day like today they are not going to get upset over it. Again it's a last resort.

Thank you @peanutmonkey, @Sonja, @kw123 and @AmyEL for believing that I wouldn't scar my kids. As @anewme said, not all of us have the luxury of getting up when we want. With dh away all the time it's a one parent show here and I do my best. I'm not apologizing for parenting my kids my way.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (01-10-2014),littlelove  (01-10-2014),LoveLivesHere  (01-10-2014),misskittyfantastico  (01-10-2014),peanutmonkey  (01-10-2014),Sonja  (01-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    You don't have to defend your mothering @Rose&Aurelia. No one is living in your world seeing how you parent day to day and when it comes down to it - not my circus, not my monkeys.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (01-10-2014),LoveLivesHere  (01-10-2014),peanutmonkey  (01-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I just find it extraordinary that anyone on here regularly and knows the sort of parent R&A is has questioned this for as much as they have. She has gone out of her way to explain what her methods are. They seem completely non- harmful. You don't like them? Well the point has been made time to move on.

There are so many things parents do on here that I dislike but you what? @misskittyfantastico is completely right.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (01-10-2014),HollyGolightly81  (01-10-2014),kw123  (01-10-2014),LoveLivesHere  (01-10-2014),NancyBlackett  (01-10-2014),peanutmonkey  (01-10-2014),Piyamj  (01-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    C'mon, threads like this always end in questions. Why should people be told to move on because it's a poster everyone likes? Honestly, if it weren't R&A who posted that, the post would have copped a lot more flack. I don't think it's bad people are saying they don't agree with it.... isn't that what BH is all about? Debating things? Well, that's normally what you guys end up saying when it's something you don't agree with.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (01-10-2014),MonsterMummy  (01-10-2014),Purple Lily  (01-10-2014),Star Light  (01-10-2014),VicPark  (01-10-2014),~Marigold~  (01-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    C'mon, threads like this always end in questions. Why should people be told to move on because it's a poster everyone likes? Honestly, if it weren't R&A who posted that, the post would have copped a lot more flack. I don't think it's bad people are saying they don't agree with it.... isn't that what BH is all about? Debating things? Well, that's normally what you guys end up saying when it's something you don't agree with.
    What's the point though of constantly questioning her? Do people want her to say sorry? Or to say yes you're right I'm wrong I'll change my ways. She's explained many times what she does. The posters are referring to her original post which she has clarified. My reason for saying move on is because it's going nowhere. And yes because it is R&A we know (a) she has a wicked sense of humour and (b) she is a very gentle parent.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (01-10-2014)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I came back to explain from my point of view, I think I did so respectfully and upon reading your first post about it @Rose&Aurelia I get why a few readers were taken aback. You have since elaborated and it honestly went from some thinking you put ice down their pyjamas as a regular way to rouse them to once in a blue moon, for fun, on a hot day. Fair enough. Even still, when I read that, I did not think you were being a torturer or smacking your kids upside the head to wake them up, far from it. I will say, I found the method different and yes, surprising.
    Differing opinions are ok. I apologize if my initial reply offended you, admittedly I read it (the face washer/ice thing) and possibly made too much of it.
    You do not need defend your parenting. It's never nice to feel judged etc and frankly, how you wake your kids up in the morning is no one's business. I offered my thoughts, because well, it's forum.
    I agree with the notion that sometimes a discussion in this place can be taken the wrong way and perhaps if we were face to face and you mentioned you did it and I replied "really? Ice down their pyjamas?" and you replied "it's a bit of joke actually, I did it to their father once and they thought it was funny" well that would be that. You know what I mean?
    Sometimes things do go too far on this site and things are taken the wrong way.
    Bowing out now.

Me 32, He 35, DS 14, DD 2
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 01-10-2014 at 12:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    What's the point though of constantly questioning her? Do people want her to say sorry? Or to say yes you're right I'm wrong I'll change my ways. She's explained many times what she does. The posters are referring to her original post which she has clarified. My reason for saying move on is because it's going nowhere. And yes because it is R&A we know (a) she has a wicked sense of humour and (b) she is a very gentle parent.
    As PoT said, her posts came from concern. That's fair enough. When someone is concerned about a kid, I think they're ok to question it or try and gain more information? Especially when it started off as a bit of a hard "I put ice in my kids pants" to "it's a joke".

But hey, I agree with letting it go. I just don't think it's fair to jump on the posters who were showing concern, especially as no one got rude or nasty. As is always thrown out on BH "people are entitled to an opinion".

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (01-10-2014),~Marigold~  (01-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm finding it slightly amusing that people are made to feel like crap if they question things that certain posters do, but it would be perfectly fine if we didn't know what 'sort of parent' someone is

If people agree with the way someone parents, that's fine.
    If people don't agree and ask questions based on information someone has given on a public forum, that's fine too.

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (01-10-2014),Lillynix  (01-10-2014),Purple Lily  (01-10-2014),Smyles  (01-10-2014),Star Light  (01-10-2014),Starfish30  (01-10-2014),VicPark  (02-10-2014),~Marigold~  (01-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I never said that she couldn't be questioned. I don't think that's what I meant at all. But if you read all the posts she responds many times.

Fine ask away. I'm not the boss of the forum anyway just making a point that it's going nowhere. But as you were.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    That's the difference between us then. If someone told me they use cc or cio or any other method I'm not comfy with I just nod and ignore.
    Ahhh... You haven't always...!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (01-10-2014)