+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's great. It's still not a recommendation where I work, regardless of what google says.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (01-10-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (01-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a 5.5 and almost 4 yr old. Their bedtime is 7 pm. Most nights they are asleep within 5 minutes. They love bedtime and are usually tired. Very occasionally we will have one child come out after they've gone to bed because they aren't sleepy but it's not often.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    It really doesnt phase me if bh disapprove of my methods. I parent the way I want, but I will elaborate for those that are freaking out.

First I call them, then turn the lights on, put radio on, take covers off and lastly I use a wet face washer and pop in on their faces to rouse them if they are being silly. I need them up and dressed by 6am everyday winter/summer.

I wake dh up with an ice cube in his pjs and the kids thought that was hilarious so now if their afternoon sleep is going too long I put an ice cube under their chin. If I've had a late one then dh sends the girls into my room with ice cubes to put in my pjs.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.
    The phrase if they are 'being silly' says a lot to me. The wet washer isn't the first choice, it's what you do when they are awake but laying in bed giggling I suspect.

I have no problems with it at all.

Eta: I'd laugh if someone got me out of bed using ice, as would my whole family. Hell, my dad used to poke me out of bed with a broom handle!
    Last edited by amyd; 01-10-2014 at 08:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Yep.

It stuffs the day up when they sleep too late. Plus we leave the house at 6.10am on daycare days and sleeping in on other days screws them and me around.

Ice in their pjs is also useful

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.
    Wow ok. If anyone came near me with a wet washer or ice to wake me up that early, they would not be given a warm reception from me (and that's putting it nicely)! Just because one person is ready and raring to go at 5 in the morning doesn't mean everyone in the house should be - and the fact that a child is so difficult to wake tells me that maybe they are not ready??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I really think it's time to move on people.

Rose&Autelia is one of the most loving and compassionate parents on this forum. Hell sometimes I wish she was my mother.

I think her methods would be extremely gentle (cool face washer on the forehead or a bit of ice under the chin). Sound like her kids love it.

8. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (01-10-2014),babycake  (01-10-2014),HeavenBlue  (01-10-2014),HollyGolightly81  (01-10-2014),kw123  (01-10-2014),Liddybugs  (01-10-2014),littlelove  (01-10-2014),LoveLivesHere  (01-10-2014),misskittyfantastico  (01-10-2014),NancyBlackett  (01-10-2014),peanutmonkey  (01-10-2014),Piyamj  (01-10-2014),Starfish30  (01-10-2014),~ElectricPink~  (01-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I really think it's time to move on people.

Rose&Autelia is one of the most loving and compassionate parents on this forum. Hell sometimes I wish she was my mother.

I think her methods would be extremely gentle (cool face washer on the forehead or a bit of ice under the chin). Sound like her kids love it.
    Totally agree. And isnt it wonderful that the world is filled with so many different people, the world would be boring if we were all the same.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Barnaby  (04-10-2014),LoveLivesHere  (01-10-2014),misskittyfantastico  (01-10-2014),Piyamj  (01-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post

Rose&Autelia is one of the most loving and compassionate parents on this forum.
    Just wanted to say that I agree with this, from what I have read. I am not disputing that R&A isn't a nice person, or is abusing her children or anything like that. I just wanted to make that clear. I have zero plans to continue on discussing it, nor do I have any desire to get in to petty debates about my work practices compared to the work practices elsewhere. I still stand by my thoughts on the act of a cold washer/ice itself, but on the whole I think R&A is a lovely person (from what I have seen on the hub). I tried to explain myself without being b!tchy about it, but it's not always the easiest thing to do on the net so if my posts have read that way I apologise. My posts are from a place of concern, nothing more (and yes, if I knew a friend IRL who woke their kids up this way I would express my concern in the same way I did here...only I'd have the benefit of the spoken word and body language )

FTR - I always bounce off parenting methods to my friends with kids similar ages IRL. Sometimes I learn that there are better ways to deal with situations than what I have been doing and I change my ways. Other times my friends will say 'yeah I'm going to try that, I like that and I think it would work for us too.' It's just the way we work.
    Last edited by Full House; 01-10-2014 at 09:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I have used a damp washer on my kids when i have tried everything else to wske them up and we need them to wake up. Not everyone has the luxury of letting their kids sleep in. That's just part of life and for those kids it is their normal wake up time not early.
    I really can't see why this is a even a issues. It is not cruel.

I have only put ice on a teenager who was awake but refusing to get out of bed. They were warned a few times. Still no biggie.

It is obviously a inside joke in their family. Most family have something that is funny special to them that others don't get. Big whooped do dah.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Jodes35  (01-10-2014),misskittyfantastico  (01-10-2014),peanutmonkey  (01-10-2014),pisang  (01-10-2014),Piyamj  (01-10-2014)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand the wet face washer gently touched against a newborn's face to rouse them; the sensation will wake them up etc, I get that, newborns can't respond to their name being called out, an alarm clock or similar. I understand why some professionals would recommend that practice.
    I think what alarmed some was the ice down the pyjamas tactic for a 2 year old and even older child... to me it came across as almost a punishment type of tactic; as in, if you don't get up you'll get ice down your clothes. Sorry, but that is how it was read. Like a PP said, at that age it would not be a very pleasant way to be woken up of a morning; and why not pick them up and carry them over to the shower if they are such deep sleepers? I think also the description of throwing a wet face washer at their faces wasn't received well and probably taken the wrong way. Sitting beside them, stroking their faces with a cold flannel, well, I have to say I've never heard of it before now but it certainly doesn't sound harsh at all.
    I also respect that there a million and one ways to parent and what works for one family may not necessarily work for another.
    But the thought of using ice, even as a last resort, I don't know, I can't get my head around that one.

Me 32, He 35, DS 14, DD 2

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (01-10-2014),atomicmama  (01-10-2014),Purple Lily  (01-10-2014),Star Light  (01-10-2014)