+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    [
    QUOTE=Rose&Aurelia;7950214]It really doesnt phase me if bh disapprove of my methods. I parent the way I want, but I will elaborate for those that are freaking out.

First I call them, then turn the lights on, put radio on, take covers off and lastly I use a wet face washer and pop in on their faces to rouse them if they are being silly. I need them up and dressed by 6am everyday winter/summer.

I wake dh up with an ice cube in his pjs and the kids thought that was hilarious so now if their afternoon sleep is going too long I put an ice cube under their chin. If I've had a late one then dh sends the girls into my room with ice cubes to put in my pjs.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.
    It's nice to know that a cold washer/ ice isn't the first thing you go to, butit's still not okay. My kids would laugh if I put ice in DH's pj's too...he wouldn't though. It's cruel and so unnecessary. I really hope you re-think your methods. If they don't wake up with lights and radio on then start a couple of minutes earlier so they have a bit longer to wake up gently, or put them to bed 30 minutes earlier so they've had adequate sleep and can wake. Sorry but what you're doing isn't okay. It's not about dissaproval from bh land, it's about it not being okay. It worries me that you and your husband see nothing wrong with this...I wonder how it came about that you both decided this was a fine thing to do to your kids and each other.[/QUOTE]

As I said before I'm comfortable with my methods so other peoples opinion is moot. I've used wet face washers to wake them up since babyhood when they were newborns falling asleep mid feed.

My kids are heavy sleepers. The lights go on at 5.15am, radio alarm at 5.30am, then face washer at 5.45am if they are refusing to wake. Quite frankly this works for my brood. I'm not getting late for work cos someone else's sensibilities were ruffled. This morning I was up baking at 5am. I had the mixmaster, food processor and blender going and my kids snore thru that all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    No need for all the swearing. If this was a friend telling me that's how they wake their kids I would say the same to them as I have to R&A. I think it's okay to question someone on a parenting method that doesn't sit well with you. It's often the advice given here for people with concerns about a parenting choice that is questionable...call the parent out on it, and tell them that it's not okay. That's all I'm doing. I'm actually trying to do it in the nicest way possible. Perhaps it's not abuse, but if someone put ice down my pj's to wake me up I'd be beyond mad.
    That's the difference between us then. If someone told me they use cc or cio or any other method I'm not comfy with I just nod and ignore.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (01-10-2014),MsViking  (01-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I nod and ignore for that too. I don't know what else to say...it saddens me that you think a wet washer to the face or ice are the best way to wake your kids. On the cc, cio threads on here you have expressed your views and offered alternate methods for people to think about. I urge you to re-think this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    That's the difference between us then. If someone told me they use cc or cio or any other method I'm not comfy with I just nod and ignore.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (01-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Party of Three I didn't actually mean to swear at you - I was referencing this - http://www.mamamia.com.au/parenting/latest-parenting-trend-calm-down/

Apologies as I would not stoop to swear at someone.

I do think its a bit patronising to say that one of R&As parenting choices saddens you. Can't you just shrug it off and accept she does it but you don't? As you admitted yourself it's not abuse.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

babycake  (01-10-2014),Barnaby  (04-10-2014),peanutmonkey  (01-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Hold on, I was told by medical professionals when my boys were babies to use a wet face washer on them if they kept falling asleep mid feed... how on earth is this any different? Its not like R&A is slapping them in the face with the washer or anything, she's using the sensation to aid in rousing her children as a last resort in a calm manner...

Eta:I've just seen the comment about throwing them on their faces, however I personally took it as a tongue in cheek way of saying she uses a washer.

Hell maybe her girls and her have a good old giggle about it when it happens. Unless you're there witnessing it, its unfair to judge. To use R&A's example, I personally am strongly against CC & CIO but I dont judge the parents who use those methods because I understand I am not privy to the inner workings of their lives and why they feel its necessary.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by peanutmonkey; 01-10-2014 at 07:23.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (01-10-2014),kw123  (01-10-2014),Liddybugs  (01-10-2014),LoveLivesHere  (01-10-2014),MsViking  (01-10-2014),Piyamj  (01-10-2014),Starfish30  (01-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not abuse but I still think it's cruel. And as a medical professional who helps new mums wet washers to the face are certainly not a recommendation where I work.
    If I was the only one who thought this I'd apologise and say no more, but with 13 thanks for my post I believe I'm not the only one who was shocked by it.
    You might think it's okay, I don't. It does sadden me to think of small children being woken up with a wet washer to their face or ice in their pj's. If they're that hard to rouse then I fully believe they need to go to bed earlier so they are ready to wake up at 6am.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

MonsterMummy  (01-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @peanutmonkey I was just going to say the same thing about the washer and breastfeeding a sleepy newborn.

I've read the advice a lot lately while re familiarising myself with breastfeeding.

I don't really see the difference.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (01-10-2014),LoveLivesHere  (01-10-2014),peanutmonkey  (01-10-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (01-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Even Dr Sears recommends a cool washer on the face to rouse a sleepy newborn.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (01-10-2014),peanutmonkey  (01-10-2014),Piyamj  (01-10-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (01-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    A quick Google and I found plenty of pages suggesting a wet washer to keep buh awake.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

17. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (01-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Including kellymom and the la leche league.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (01-10-2014)