+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default If baby falls asleep during feed does that mean he's tired??

If my baby falls asleep during his feed & I have to keep waking him up to finish, does that mean he's tired??

I never see any tired cues except for occasional yawns (& ive looked up cues many times & spent ages watching him) so I thought I might be able to use that as a guide because im struggling with getting him to sleep.

But as soon as I try to put him down for a sleep after he fell asleep on my boob he wakes up & is wide awake & wants to play. So maybe he wasnt tired??? Im so confused....

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Depends on how long he's been awake. I've always fed my babies to sleep so yes in that case I know they're tired.

I recall when dd1 was a baby I'd feed her when she woke and she'd go drousy or to sleep and I'd try and put her down but she'd scream the house down. So it doesn't always. Breast feeding is very soothing for some babies and relaxes them. It gets easier to tell as they get older.
    As for tired signs that was something I got better at with subsequent babies. It's also part of the reason many people like routines as you know when to put the baby to bed without looking for tired signs.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (30-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Sonja!

Im having trouble getting into a routine but ive contacted a sleep consultant so hopefully they can help - if he's awake an hour, an hour & a half or two hours he still wont go to sleep (I tried all the awake times because nothing was working).

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My newborn was doing this every time I fed. A few good sucks and straight to sleep.
    I went to see a LC at the hospital who told me to attach him, let him suck and after about 10-20 seconds of sucking, detach him , sit him up and offer a burp, then back down to feed.
    Repeat over and over.
    Also before swapping to the other breast, get up, check his nappy, chat to him then sit back down and offer the other breast.
    That day, for the first time, my DS fed for an hour without sleeping. He also burped several times in the feed and appeared happier afterwards.
    The LC said when bub stops feeding or starts just lying there with boob is his mouth try sitting up and burping again but you have to decide when he's had enough - aiming for at least 40 mins.
    Just a warning though , better feeding led to a more alert baby all around. So whilst he slept well over night and for the first sleep after his morning feed, he was pretty much awake all day and early evening. I got upset but then rationalised id much prefer him awake in the day than the night!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Breastmilk can make babies 'milk drunk' - they appear to fall asleep or in some sort of dopy, drunk-like state but after a few minutes will come out of it.

So in answer to your question "does it means baby is tired?" I would say, not necessarily.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (30-09-2014),Mod-Uniquey  (30-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was also going to say that a lot of the time when mine fell asleep, it was that they were 'milky drunk' and getting fulfilled on enough of the creamy, rich hind milk, but it didn't necessarily mean they were tired or not tired as such.

I must admit, I was a bit of a sucker for a little milky drunk bub!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mine is the same right now. From the experience with my first and this bub they just freak out when they realise they aren't on mum any more! They either need help to sleep or taught to sleep in my experience. Make sure you write everything down to ask the sleep consultant ☺️

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tippytoes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it means they've had enough (unless they are only a couple of weeks old). When DS falls asleep I take him off. If he's grumpy and looking hungry after a few mins break I offer again. Apparently they get most of the milk in the first 10mins of the feed so keeping them on for long periods of time isn't very productive. If I remember correctly, your bub is gaining plenty of weight?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My bub is only 2 weeks old but from what I've seen not necessarily. Sometimes he falls asleep at the end of the feed and will stay asleep, other times he will wake up after 5 minutes or so and be wide awake/alert for an hour or more.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone!

My baby has just fallen asleep on the breast but he's only had one 20 minute sleep today since 5am. So im guessing he's tired. But as soon as I move to put him in his cot or into the carrier he is wide awake again