+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Love these 2 boys. This was this afternoon.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well, of course I'm going to join this thread! 😊

As a kid growing up on the farm, we had guinea pigs and I absolutely adored them. My very first one was a big fat brown girl and I called her Natalie, I had her for years.

About a year ago we decided to get our DDs a guinea pig each, so off to the pet store we went. The girls chose two piggies, which were pretty much fully grown.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1411991108.484319.jpg

Lily is the white one and Hush is the white and brown one. They were lovely, but not very tame and obviously had not been handled very much coming from a pet store. Hush died in May this year.

So we still have Lily, who is nearly impossible to catch, but who has a great personality and LOVES her food! I am hoping to make her mine and see if with some handling she will eventually become tame enough to enjoy a cuddle.

I had been thinking that I would like to get my DDs some baby piggies so that they could be handled by my girls from a young age and grow up loving their cuddles and being handled... at about the same time @Myztiks#1Fan was posting about her baby piggies, so a quick PM and search on Gumtree connected us.

So the girls and I went for a little look and they chose one baby girl each.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1411991488.022821.jpg

Rainbow Belle and Pinky Rosie (I did not name them, LOL)!

I would absolutely recommend buying any guinea pigs from a private seller and as babies, as the difference we have noticed is amazing from buying in a store to through a private seller.

These are the girls tonight, they were actually both in a feral mood, LOL... but we make sure we cuddle them every day and they have settled in beautifully!

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1411991682.090415.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Its my babies. Nawwwww

Thanks
    Reviews
    I still gotta text you their birth dates. Been kinda hectic. Will do it tomorrow as my phone is on 2 % battery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm joining from the other thread
    I've only had my 2 girls for a week so I might learn some things.
    @Myztiks#1Fan
    How much was the chicken coop?
    I bought a hutch cage from bunnings and I think it's to small, the plan is to move them into a bigger coop and possibly get some more, they have been great fun and so cute

Also, our girls are adults, they get along well together but they are quite timid around us humans still.
    I've been giving them lots of outside play, I let them wonder around the lounge room at night for a few hours and I've been talking to them etc but they tense up when I come near and they just seem to be frozen in fear quite a bit, defiantly not overly playful.
    Any tips on gaining their trust?

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1412006657.247944.jpg
    This is Martha

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1412006682.093755.jpg
    This is Kate

Dd named them all by herself, I have no idea where the name Martha came from lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont handle my piggies as much as i should. Life is busy and i do a fair bit of OT at work but dinner time is when they are extremely interested in me so i will try and pat them while i feed them. When i do usually have them out with me, i use food too(usually kale as they love it) and they eat from my hand. I handle the boys more as they are easier to catch as the girls have such a big home so harder to catch(it can seriously take a good 40mins to catch my 5 girls). The boys(not so much the babies atm but Samson) is more than happy to have a wander around the house. The girls sit there kinda scared. If i handled them more it would be a different story.

My chicken coop was just under $300 i think. I found it online and my dad went to pick it up. Didnt take that long to put together. Its a good size for 4 chickens.

I am planning on buying them a clam shell so they can swim in summer as none of them have experienced summer yet. We are gonna do some modifications on the girls home to extend the inside bit higher for more ventilation so it doesnt get as hot and will put heaps more water in their homes along with ice cubes to keep it cool.

Eventually, when my dad moves out, i would like to get some inside homes for them so they can live upstairs in the house with me. Have had a look online and they are expensive coz i would need a few. Would be a good $800 set up for them to move upstairs so its a dream that will have to wait.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are also about to start some vege patches for them to lower the cost of food. The first things i want to grow is kale, cucumber and strawberries. If i can grow kale, they can have more than what they currently have. We are gonna do one vege garden this week and slowly build up til i have 6 or so huge gardens in my yard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've had a few piggies but the kids aren't interested anymore so we are down to our last one. He gets fresh fruit and vegies daily and loves his lucerne hay (he won't eat g/pig mix!). I only use sawdust as the one and only time I used straw my piggies got mites real bad...puppy/kitten revolution fixed them but I stick to sawdust.

1412028817295.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have been pretty lucky with not getting mites so far. One of my girls had them but other than that, we have been lucky. We have a heap of shredded paper atm so will prolly stick with that over the warmer months.

Thanks
    Reviews