+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post
    I am after a piggy that looks like this. I have fallen in love with the hairless sort

Sent from my GT-I9506 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Shave one? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    We are thinking of getting DD a guinea pig for DD when we move to our new house early next year.

She will be nearly 3 by then.

Can anyone share their experiences of selecting, buying, looking after them? What can we expect?

How much do they cost, how much do they cost to maintain, can they live outside, are any breeds better than others, are girl or boy ones any different, how long do they live?

Sorry for all the questions I have no idea what to look for when buying or what the experience will be like.

Our Family is now complete.
    Welcome DS The 'Easy One' 28.09.2014.
    Feisty and Independent DD 02.03.2012
    DH 36
    L'il ol Me 31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    We are thinking of getting DD a guinea pig for DD when we move to our new house early next year.

She will be nearly 3 by then.

Can anyone share their experiences of selecting, buying, looking after them? What can we expect?

How much do they cost, how much do they cost to maintain, can they live outside, are any breeds better than others, are girl or boy ones any different, how long do they live?

Sorry for all the questions I have no idea what to look for when buying or what the experience will be like.

Our Family is now complete.
    Welcome DS The 'Easy One' 28.09.2014.
    Feisty and Independent DD 02.03.2012
    DH 36
    L'il ol Me 31.
    I will be back tonight with some answers for you as just about to go out for the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Can anyone share their experiences of selecting, buying, looking after them? I bought our 3 sisters from the pet shop originally and our last girl and boy from the markets. I would prefer to adopt now if i get any more.

They usually live for around 7yrs but who knows. They may live longer pending on their lifestyle. My 8 piggies have always loved outside. Originally had a chicken coop and a smaller house but as i bred mine, we built a bigger house so the boys and girls can live seperately. I have 5 girls living together(4 adults and 1 baby as i didnt want to sell her individually so kept her). I have 3 boys(father and 2 brothers from same mother). The boys can get territorial so i keep a good distance between the sexes so they dont fight. Dad gets along with his sons great. I would always recommend to get 2 of the same sexes as they can get depressed.

Not sure of breeds being better than others. I have 3 diff breeds in my lot and they are all very different with personalities but very easy to look after. Cost will depend on housing, what food you feed them(mije are quite spoilt so it costs a fair bit to feed mine every week) and how often you feed them. I give them dry mix twice a day(they are picky with their mix so i buy a special mix for them) and they get their fresh food in the early evening plus fresh water several times a day esp with the weather heating up.

One of the guys who bought one of my boys from me keeps his inside. He has a fabulous house he built for his 3 girls and 1 boy.

They are beautiful animals. I personally didnt like them until we bought them. I am on the hunt for a hairless one currently coz they are cute in their own way.

Have a read through the thread as there are quite a few posts and advice regarding everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I went on a bit of a piggy shop yesterday, and after trying the RSPCA shop a few weeks back and to no avail, I tried another pet shop and have piggy shampoo, a new water bottle, some pellets, and worm medicine. I wanted to get some nail clippers but they were out of those.
    @Myztik#1fan, you might be able to answer this, after buying the worm medicine (liquid) one, my dh asked why I bought it as the piggies have no worms? I bought it as a preventative measure, and now I'm confused, are you only to give them worm meds if they already have worms? Or can you give it as a precaution as I intended?

I also saw Mite spray, is this something piggy owners should buy as well? Sorry for the all the questions!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Uniquey, mine get wormed and mite treated every 6wks weeks when i take them for their baths. If you use straw, the piggies can get mites. Only 1 of my girls have had mites since we got them so now with the weather heating up, i am only using shredded paper as straw/hay has mites in it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks @Myztiks#1Fan, I will go ahead then and worm them. We use straw for their bedding too, so I guess I better keep an eye on mites as well. I take it you would definitely know if they had mites?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] Uniquey View Post
    Thanks @Myztiks#1Fan, I will go ahead then and worm them. We use straw for their bedding too, so I guess I better keep an eye on mites as well. I take it you would definitely know if they had mites?
    Tbh i have no idea what mites even look like. The people who bath mine found them and when they said they live in straw/hay, i stopped using it as a precautionary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can't see mites....but your piggies will be itchy and will eventually scratch themselves soo much they draw blood. Best thing in not to use straw, it's bad. I use sawdust. Puppy/kitten revolution pippets is what I used once a month for 3 months on my piggies to get rid of the mites.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks ladies, I think it's time to ditch the straw then, just in case.