+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Looking after my baby is killing my neck

Picking up & carrying round my ds, as well as breastfeeding, is killing my neck

Ive had chronic neck issues for years & now its getting worse again. I dont want it to get any worse than it alreadyis otherwise ill end up with blinding headaches all day every day & no idea how ill look after ds if that happens

Im after ways I could manage this to hopefully avoid making it any worse

I prop my elbow when breastfeeding at home, but out in public I cant really cart my pillow around. Ive tried crossing my legs & using my nappy bag but they dont really cut it

Ds isnt used to the baby carrier yet so I only use it for really short periods

Before anyone suggests it, I wont go to physio, chiro, osteo, massage, accupuncture etc, ive wasted thousands & thousands over the years trying many different practitioners - if im lucky it helps for a day, but no longer. I dont have the money to throw away right now

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    If professionals can't help I guess the only thing you can do is use a heat pack, grin and bear it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bounty For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (29-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My neck and back really play up when my anxiety is in full blown mode. I definitely found it worse when I was struggling with DD2. Have you looked into that maybe?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I know you said you won't try professional help but have you tried Feldenkrais? I won't say anything more in case you have. It changed my life after a car accident and no one could help.

But yes I would also look into the anxiety.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think your DS & my DD are similar age/size. I still prefer to use a pillow when feeding at home but now I kind of sit her up with her butt resting on my leg to BF when we are out - much easier on the arms & neck. Maybe you could try that? If you go along to your local baby wearing meet you could learn how to feed in a carrier - I find it easiest in a ring sling but you can also just loosen the SSC when you're out, might give you some more support? Just some ideas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies

Sonja ive never heard of that, ill definitely look into it

Trying to just suffer through it at the moment

Does any panadol go into breastmilk? So if I take it 3 times a day, every day, I need to check it wont affect ds

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    I've always taken panadol when breastfeeding. I get migraines and have needed pain relief for that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I saw Tanya Saxon in Brisbane. She was amazing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had chronic neck pain related to fairly bad injury to the discs at C4/C5 and C5/C6 from years ago, I used to take valium to stop the spasms and had scripts for a bunch of different meds including tramadol, lyrica, anti-inflamms etc.. I was always in pain and felt like I couldn't do anything.

My GP finally decided it had been long enough without improvement or relief and referred me to have a pain management injection and it was the best thing I ever did. It's an injection performed under CT and I had it just before Xmas so I could have a week or two off work and do as little as possible, and it worked wonders. I still had little flare ups after that but ditched all my medications and fast forward a couple of years was back running etc.

Now, I don't know the cause of your specific neck issue so obviously not sure if the same approach would work, but don't give up on health professionals, go and see a GP and demand some action. Will your DH be taking time off this coming Xmas? It might be a good time to try and tackle the issue if you need to go through a period of doing a minimal amount (obviously easier said than done with a baby, but you have to look after yourself too).

Two of the biggest triggers for my chronic pain was 1) sitting and 2) anxiety/stress. I know that you have a lot of anxiety and that should be something to discuss with a GP also.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ive actually looked at those injections

Gp in the past has refused to refer me cause he said I didnt need it but ive found a better gp now so hopefully ill have more luck there