+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Healthy lifestyle - Tips and Ideas

Over the past few months I have been concentrating on living a healthier lifestyle in regards to eating and exercising. I am always looking for new inspiration; whether it be recipe or meal planning ideas or new fitness recommendations. I started this thread as a place to motivate each other or share new ideas. Whether its a weight loss journey or a lifestyle change. This is all relatively new to me so any advice would be greatly appreciated! S x

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarylee For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (28-09-2014)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Hi! I have been off and on with my healthy lifestyle this year, but when I'm on track I feel so amazing! It's totally worth doing, I just can't seem to get myself in the right headset at the moment. So, congratulations to you! It's not an easy thing...

Anyway, I just love meal planning and even do it for a couple of women I work with, and I can thoroughly recommend 'green kitchen stories' and 'my new roots' for recipes. They're mostly clean/veg but have some beautiful sauces and things and it would be very easy to add more protein to their recipes.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing to comment later:-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing
    Due to health issues (Hashimotos), I have stopped eating sugar & gluten. I find this has helped hugely in cutting out the cr@p food from my diet, but it does mean you need to plan food ahead as it isn't so convenient. I also try to use as little nasty chemicals as possible and use natural products instead.

In summer/ warm weather, we have 'earth hour' every night where we all sit out the back for dinner & just relax outside with no phones/tv in the evenings. It's nice to get the fresh air

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Funnily enough, the healthy recipes that I keep going back to are the ones in the CSIRO Diet and Healthy Heart cookbooks. And also the healthier options in Jamie's 15-Minute Meals (although you need to accept straight off the bat that they take way longer than 15 minutes).

DH and I did the CSIRO diet when it first came out and it completely changed the way we ate from then onwards. Since then we've focused our meals on lean protein and lots of veggies + the recommended 2 x fruit a day. My only stumbling block was pregnancy with GD but now bubba is here I'm heading back in that direction.

Also essential for me is to get outside in the sun and move/exercise every day (fresh air + vitamin D = my sanity). At the moment that's a gentle walk with bub as I'm recovering from a c-section but gradually I'll increase the distance and speed, and eventually I'll be able to swim and jog again.

Another thing that made a massive difference to our general health was DH discovering he was gluten intolerant. He needs to be totally off it and I've automatically cut back in having to cater for both of us. Less gluten in the diet has made as both feel so much better.

If you're looking for a good fitness app I can highly recommend Nike Training Club. It's especially for women and great for toning and strengthening. I was addicted to it pre-pregnancy. :-) Looking forward to being able to get back into it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Curby View Post
    In summer/ warm weather, we have 'earth hour' every night where we all sit out the back for dinner & just relax outside with no phones/tv in the evenings. It's nice to get the fresh air
    Love this idea! :-)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

Rice  (28-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all so much for the replies Firstly I just wanted to let you know my enter button won't work when using bub hub for some reason so everything has to be squished together, sorry! @Cat74 Thanks for the app suggestion. I love helpful apps, will certainly check it out. I'll have a look at the CSIRO book too, thanks! @Curby your idea of earth hour is fantastic. We will definitely be using that as a family now, thanks for sharing! @harvs thanks for the recipe suggestions. I'm pretty new to clean and healthy eating so any help is much appreciated. Its more getting to know and understand herbs, spices and dressings to compliment healthy dishes that I struggle with. I'm slowly getting there though. I grew up in a pretty unhealthy family and I certainly don't want to pass that on to my family. I have been feeling so much better within myself (apart from being tired due to late nights up studying for uni). I think the first few weeks to a month can be hard while your body adjusts but physically and mentally I'm now seeing the benefits