+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG242 View Post
    Attachment 61355
    According the QLD health, formula can be damaged by being heated in a microwave.
    This is why we started heating the water then add the formula afterwards.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

JAG242  (29-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG242 View Post
    Attachment 61355
    According the QLD health, formula can be damaged by being heated in a microwave.
    Interesting! It goes against advice given to me by a pediatrician and MHN. Upon investigation this was the only link I could find that says it damages the formula. Several studies I found said they didn't find a link either way. All links talked about hot pockets and that was it.

Something to investigate further.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    I scoured the shelves of my local woolies but no luck. 😢
    Try Priceline, big w or chemist warehouse. Cheapest used to be Priceline, still expensive compared to the tins though. I always used them when out as the WHO guidelines were to make up formula with 70 degree water and cool quickly to preferred feeding temp, which is impossible when out and about!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    Try Priceline, big w or chemist warehouse. Cheapest used to be Priceline, still expensive compared to the tins though. I always used them when out as the WHO guidelines were to make up formula with 70 degree water and cool quickly to preferred feeding temp, which is impossible when out and about!
    Thanks, I'll try looking there.

The instructions on my formula say that it should be made with freshly boiled water that has cooled for no longer than half an hour, which is why I've been worried about taking water out with me to make formula up with. Apparently it's safe to keep formula cold for up to 4 hours, so I thought I'd try taking it with ice blocks and asking in a cafe for hot water to sit it in to warm it up while I have a coffee!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sorry but that is really weird... How do they know what temp the water would be after 30 mins. What if it was still too hot? Can you upload a pic of the tin? I Don't mean to doubt you its just that I was a FFer and know tons of others and I have never heard of such a thing. Room temp was recommended to me by loads of people including MCHN as it is so so much easier than serving it warm.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (30-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure how to upload a photo- the formula is from the UK - brought it back after a trip there. But actually the WHO guidelines say the same thing... http://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/micro/PIF_Bottle_en.pdf (I hope that's how you do a link, sorry!! It's about the 3rd page)

I just bought a new tub of s26 and it says use cool boiled water - how long do you cool it for??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've never seen anything like that on a tin of formula, we always filled up bottles for the day with boiling water, and only added formula when about to give the bottle. I would have thought this would be far less likely to spoil than transporting and reheating made up formula when out and about. DD would never drink the pre made stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I guess the uk formula manufacturers have to advise according to the WHO guidelines which is to use no less than 70 degree water to kill potential bacteria in the formula as it is not sterile. Once the bottle has been made up you Cool it to the feeding temp by running it under a cold tap or placing in a bowl of ice water. This is what I did and that's why I used the ready made when out, which he drank at room temp.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    I'm not sure how to upload a photo- the formula is from the UK - brought it back after a trip there. But actually the WHO guidelines say the same thing... http://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/micro/PIF_Bottle_en.pdf (I hope that's how you do a link, sorry!! It's about the 3rd page)

I just bought a new tub of s26 and it says use cool boiled water - how long do you cool it for??
    I cooled mine to room temp so it wasn't warm at all (usually overnight)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I have to agree with everyone else, I used to boil a kettle and let it cool then pour into sterilized bottles ready for the day. Before serving I would heat the water in the microwave then add formula and serve. When we would go out if it was somewhere with a parents room or accessible microwave I would take the bottles with cooled water and make up as usual; if there wasn't a microwave I would pour boiling water into bottles and by the time DD was thirsty it was the right temperature.