+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ready made formula/bottle feeding when out-help!

Hi - I'm looking for tips on how to safely prepare a bottle to feed my 4 month old while we're out. Currently I'm scheduling trips around feeds but that's getting a bit annoying!

Can you buy ready made formula? I haven't seen any here but you seem to be able to get it really easily in the UK.

What do you do when you need to feed while you're out? Do you make up milk before you go and pack it in cool bags? Or do you take hot water? The formula tin says you have to use freshly boiled hot water so I'm not sure whether taking a flask of water is ok??

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just take a bottle full of how much boiled water you need and then separately have a container with how much formula you need and then add it when needed. Easy peasy!

There are special containers you can buy that allow you to portion out your formula and they have a little spout to make it easier to add to the bottle.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Toppy  (27-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Just take a bottle full of how much boiled water you need and then separately have a container with how much formula you need and then add it when needed. Easy peasy!

There are special containers you can buy that allow you to portion out your formula and they have a little spout to make it easier to add to the bottle.
    This. I always make up my bottles with water in advance (even when not out and about) and just mix it up when out. I use a parents room to warm the bottle or ask a waiter if I'm at a restaurant. But often I just give it to her at room temperature.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used to fill bottles with boiling water. And go out. Most of the time it was still warm enough when it was bottle time.
    I also used to take a thermos of boiling water and if I needed to I would top up with water.
    Just add the amount of formula and shake up. Easy.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all your replies...
    My understanding was that the water had to be 70 degrees to kill any bacteria in the formula, and that it could only be heated once? I can't remember where I read that now though. I didn't think it was safe to use tepid water, or to reheat it...but obviously that's what everyone does, right? Maybe I'm being an over cautious ftm!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I never thought formula needed to be added to boiling water. I've always added it when cooled, and that's what the directions say on the tin.

When mine were small I invested in a good quality bottle bag (Avent) poured boiling water into a few bottles and packed pre measured scoops of formula in a container. By the time they were hungry the water was warm but not hot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Thanks for all your replies...
    My understanding was that the water had to be 70 degrees to kill any bacteria in the formula, and that it could only be heated once? I can't remember where I read that now though. I didn't think it was safe to use tepid water, or to reheat it...but obviously that's what everyone does, right? Maybe I'm being an over cautious ftm!
    When I hospital with my daughter. . They made up formula using sterile water (or boiled water)... premade the bottles and these were heated in a cup of water. You can keep made up formula in the fridge for 24 hours. They would make me 24 hours of formula in one go.
    At home I used to just boil the kettle in the morning..pre fill all the bottles for the day and stand on the bench until I added formula at a feed time. no issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ive always used cooled boiled water (room temp). It says on the tin to use cooled boiled water. Ive never heated bottles either as I found it to be a pain.
    From about 2-3 months I just use tap water (obviously not recommended though!). I just boil water then tip into a water bottle and sit it on the bench so when I make the bottles I have water ready to go.

When we go out I fill the bottles with water and have a formula dispenser container.

Last edited by SheWarrior; 27-09-2014 at 10:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just use room temp water (boiled & cooled) we didn't heat up bottles for feeding, you really don't need to, DS was happy to have room temp formula, was great in the middle of the night too :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to make up formula bottles in advance and take them in cooler bags with ice packs. I'd then heat them in a microwave or in a cup of hot water. Never had an issue.