+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What sort of doctor to see for constantly unwell toddler?

My almost 16 months old DS is sick, again! The past 2 months I think he has been 100% well for a total of about 7 days. He's always caught colds etc, which I put down to being a winter bub and I understand that a toddler will get sick 7-10 times a year, however it is just getting to the point of being ridiculous. It did coincide with him starting daycare, but he's not catching all these things from daycare. He only goes on Tuesdays and Thursdays and seems to often start a new set of symptoms on Mondays or Tuesday morning.

Currently he has very few symptoms but his fever has been spiking up to 40 each evening and needing both panadol and nurofen 4 hourly (under dr's advice) to bring it down. I took him to the GP Wednesday night when it first happened and throat, ears and chest all clear - told it is a virus. I'll be going back tomorrow. Exactly 1 week before that he came down with another virus causing fever (again confirmed by GP as we were flying the next day). 1 week before that it was an ear infection needing antibiotics.... you get the idea. He's had 4 rounds of antibiotics and I'm going through analgesics by the bottle!

DH and I agree that it's time to try and work out if there is an underlying issue.

His big sister started getting recurring tonsilitis and ear infections at around 2 until we had her tonsils removed at 4. DS hasn't had tonsilitis yet, however he does have larger than average tonsils.

So where do we start? Paediatrician? Straight to an ENT? Or try to get the GP to run tests?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd start at the gp
    but I'd say it sounds normal. 2 months of continual illness isn't really that much. In fact considering starting daycare I'd say it's really normal sorry. I guess once you have been unwell your immune system is more susceptible to catching something else and so a bit of run of illness can happen. Hope your little one is better soon

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grumpysmurf For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (27-09-2014),Stretched  (27-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would start with your GP. I would get advice but perhaps a blood test to see if iron is low or something.

In saying that. . My dd... is 21 months. .. She's been sick all winter. She's also got a heart defect/syndrome... And has picked up everything at daycare. Her pediatrician isn't too concerned and her blood tests were normal.
    So it can be just one of those things. Hugely frustrating and upsetting seeing your little one sick all the time.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (27-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, I know it's pretty normal with daycare. I just had a quick look through the diary and he had already been sick 6 times since February, all long before starting daycare. Then another 7 separate things in the past 2 months. We're not even at years end and he's up to 13! Only one of those was gastro, all the rest have been respiratory system related.

Will get the iron checked. He does look pasty - but then so do I!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah iron stores can play a role in immunity.
    I was worried about my dd. .. Being that she's got some other issues (!!) ... She's had several full on respiratory illnesses that often land kids like her in hospital. But she's been lucky. Just keeps getting sick. Her bloods were great. .. so I guess she's just catching everything.
    I feel your pain. She was better for one week after three months of coughing and running noses. ... The bam. .. This week is back! !

I would ask for blood test. I'm also curious if the current runny nose is more like allergies or hay fever. Is that worth considering?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (27-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I think it's those little rays of sunshine when he's 100%, then to see him back to miserable again that makes it all the worse. It's all turned him into a fussy eater as well, which I'm sure doesn't help either!

Allergies had crossed my mind, but he doesn't really have any other symptoms. DH has athsma (has since a child) but DS has only (ONLY, haha) had 2 bouts of croup leading into a lingering cough. I may try an OTC antihistamine anyhow to see if it makes a difference. Pred-mix really helps with his general nasal congestion but I don't want him to keep needing that.

I guess having seen DD go from constantly on ABs to barely catching a cold each winter after having her tonsils out, I can't help but wonder if he's having a similar issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    Yes, I think it's those little rays of sunshine when he's 100%, then to see him back to miserable again that makes it all the worse. It's all turned him into a fussy eater as well, which I'm sure doesn't help either!

Allergies had crossed my mind, but he doesn't really have any other symptoms. DH has athsma (has since a child) but DS has only (ONLY, haha) had 2 bouts of croup leading into a lingering cough. I may try an OTC antihistamine anyhow to see if it makes a difference. Pred-mix really helps with his general nasal congestion but I don't want him to keep needing that.

I guess having seen DD go from constantly on ABs to barely catching a cold each winter after having her tonsils out, I can't help but wonder if he's having a similar issue.
    It doesn't hurt to go to Dr and express your concerns. I certainly do! ! Lol.
    I hope you can sort it out. .. And fingers crossed summer will help us all!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (27-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    It doesn't hurt to go to Dr and express your concerns. I certainly do! ! Lol.
    I hope you can sort it out. .. And fingers crossed summer will help us all!

I hope so! It must be extra stressful for you due to your girl's existing health issues as well.

I'm off to the GP again tomorrow anyhow so will see where we get with it all! Thanks for the advice!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (26-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    After another hell night GP confirmed still just viral and need to ride it out. He didn't like the other DR's advice to give nurofen every 4 hours either. He thinks it's because of daycare and wants to wait 2 months before doing bloods. This warmer weather better hurry up and make a difference. In the meantime I think I'll get our names on the lists for family daycare to see if that's any better for my susceptible little man!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (27-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    After another hell night GP confirmed still just viral and need to ride it out. He didn't like the other DR's advice to give nurofen every 4 hours either. He thinks it's because of daycare and wants to wait 2 months before doing bloods. This warmer weather better hurry up and make a difference. In the meantime I think I'll get our names on the lists for family daycare to see if that's any better for my susceptible little man!
    We swapped to family daycare for our DD for the same reason - she was constantly sick for 12 months. Best move we ever made. She has flourished there and although she still easily picks up viruses she has a slightly better immune system now as she is 4.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (27-09-2014)