+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not trying to be inflammatory or anything but I'm just wondering why people accept a script for antibiotics if they aren't going to take them?

I'm a big believer in informed decision making so I certainly am not advocating blindly following advice you don't trust but I personally would ask questions about why the antibiotics are being prescribed if I had doubts about the necessity of them.

Op, I'd give my Dd antibiotics whenever the doctor prescribed them. But then I see a doctor whom I trust. I may know my Dd better than anyone but the doctor knows medicine better than me! If I've deemed my Dd is sick enough to take to a doctor then I'll follow the recommendations that doctor gives. If for some reason I doubted the doctor's recommendation I'd get a second opinion rather than ignoring medical advice.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    I'm not trying to be inflammatory or anything but I'm just wondering why people accept a script for antibiotics if they aren't going to take them?

I'm a big believer in informed decision making so I certainly am not advocating blindly following advice you don't trust but I personally would ask questions about why the antibiotics are being prescribed if I had doubts about the necessity of them.

Op, I'd give my Dd antibiotics whenever the doctor prescribed them. But then I see a doctor whom I trust. I may know my Dd better than anyone but the doctor knows medicine better than me! If I've deemed my Dd is sick enough to take to a doctor then I'll follow the recommendations that doctor gives. If for some reason I doubted the doctor's recommendation I'd get a second opinion rather than ignoring medical advice.

This for us too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    Because I couldn't be stuffed getting into further disagreement with a doctor that I feel isn't treating me/my child appropriately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Because I couldn't be stuffed getting into further disagreement with a doctor that I feel isn't treating me/my child appropriately.
    Fair enough. I guess that's the type of situation where I personally would take the script but then see another doctor for a second opinion before deciding whether to fill it or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read all the responses, though I'll get to it.

I'd be extremely hesitant to use antibiotics, because the bacteria in our bodies (particularly in out gut) is absolutely crucial to our health. We're only just starting to learn about some of the roles that bacteria play, but we DO know that a course of anti-biotics can permanently alter your bacterial ecosystem.
    It's not the case for everyone, but your bacteria may re-*****ise in such a way that you lose diversity, or alter the balance in a negative way. We know, for a fact, that use of antibiotics in early childhood is associated with an increase in certain long-term health conditions, such as asthma.

In your situation, I'd see another doctor (I know, not easy for you personally). I'd get a second opinion, explain my reservations, and probably play wait-and-see unless it was critical that the antibiotics be used. In the end, if they were needed, then so be it...but they'd have to REALLY be needed.

Edit: Seriously? I can't use the word c o l o n i s e because it contains c o l o n?? What is that even be a banned word?
    Last edited by Renn; 27-09-2014 at 14:05.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    I haven't read all the responses, though I'll get to it.

I'd be extremely hesitant to use antibiotics, because the bacteria in our bodies (particularly in out gut) is absolutely crucial to our health. We're only just starting to learn about some of the roles that bacteria play, but we DO know that a course of anti-biotics can permanently alter your bacterial ecosystem.
    It's not the case for everyone, but your bacteria may re-*****ise in such a way that you lose diversity, or alter the balance in a negative way. We know, for a fact, that use of antibiotics in early childhood is strongly associates with an increase in certain long-term health conditions, such as asthma.

In your situation, I'd see another doctor (I know, not easy for you personally). I'd get a second opinion, explain my reservations, and probably play wait-and-see unless it was critical that the antibiotics be used.

Edit: Seriously? I can't use the word c o l o n i s e because it contains c o l o n?? What is that even be a banned word?
    Well, now I feel like crap :-(

Too late, I started the course last night because I was desperate so now I've got to finish it right? I've been trying to avoid ABs, but DS has literally been sick all year with one thing or another, apart from about 5 days in July and it's breaking my spirit and I worry that it's breaking his. This helps me though, I'll try and just soldier on in the future...

I have no option with doctors. There is literally nothing I can do about it. There are two doctors clinics here, but the other hasn't been taking new patients for the past five years. It's a miracle I could even get him in yesterday. No doctors on the weekend, so I had to weigh up my options and what I thought was best. It's all we can ever do, hey :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aww please don't feel crap due to what I said... it's absolutely about weighing up risks and benefits. If he needs the anti-biotics, then that's what he needs.

I'm particularly hesitant with anti-biotics, as the microbiology of the gut is something we're only starting to understand. I prefer not to mess with it unless necessary. But there are plenty of people who feel the same about not risking using plastics or cleaning products or whatever else because "we just don't know"how it'll affect us... and I think they're a little nuts. So to each their own.

Hope your little one's feeling better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post

Too late, I started the course last night because I was desperate so now I've got to finish it right? I've been trying to avoid ABs, but DS has literally been sick all year with one thing or another, apart from about 5 days in July and it's breaking my spirit and I worry that it's breaking his. This helps me though, I'll try and just soldier on in the future...

I have no option with doctors. There is literally nothing I can do about it. There are two doctors clinics here, but the other hasn't been taking new patients for the past five years. It's a miracle I could even get him in yesterday. No doctors on the weekend, so I had to weigh up my options and what I thought was best. It's all we can ever do, hey :-)
    I think you did the right thing and I would have done the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't feel crap, you did what you thought was best - that counts for everything! I use to be so anti-Dr and antibiotics because of posts like above. I ignored my instinct once and the consequences could have been fatal. Now I just ensure that the kids take a lot of probiotics and a well balanced diet and that's all I can do. I hope illness leaves your home soon.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (27-09-2014)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post

Sorry that you are stuck with a crappy doctor.

I undertand that reluctance to be too quick to jump on abs but I do think that sometimes they are needed, particularly when a little system just doesn't seem to be fighting off an illness.

Do what you need to do for your little man and maybe look at reconising his little gut with some fermented foods etc.