+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I only take DS to the doctor if I feel medication needs to be prescribed whether it be antibiotics for an infection or pred for croup. He is 3.5 and had ABs twice. Once for tonsillitis and once for a ear infection. He has had bad croup twice and needed pred. If he has what I deem to be a cold (cough, runny nose etc) we don't go. There is nothing that can be given. I have found a Doctor who I trust but it has taken some time. They are not an easy species to find!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Very few people get the actual flu. It's very different from a bad cold, and you would likely need a home visit if you did have the flu as you wouldn't be able to leave the house. Going to the Dr for a cold is a waste of everyone's time.

My son has had recurrent ear infections most of his life. We always try and manage it with pain relief before we get ABs. I dread to think how many courses of ABs he would have had if he got them for every ear infection! Doctors are also very quick to diagnose ear infections and I doubt whether it was an actual infection every time (a screaming child's ears can look red from the screaming alone!).

The times he has had ABs I have known he really needed them and the Dr agreed. He is on them now actually for the first time in 7 months as he was saying his ear hurt for a while and didn't seem to be improving and then he got a bad cough (symptom of nasal drip he gets with ear infections). He responds amazingly to ABs and I'm sure that's because he rarely has them.

I think Drs are right to be cautious when prescribing them. The risks of over prescribing are very real. Many milder infections can be ridden out with pain relief and rest.

He also had Pred for croup a couple of times in his first year which was much needed. Medicine is wonderful and should be taken when it's needed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (27-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I tend to think when people say this, they're using cold and flu as interchangeable conditions and they're not! There are colds and then there are colds and then there are nasty cold viruses and then there's a flu virus.
    No I know that the flu is. It very different to a bad cold.

We don't go for the flu unless I think it become a chest infection that war rent anti B's

Why would I spread flu germs around. We stay home. I keep a very close eye on their chest and dehydration etc. If I am worried I by pass the gp and go to ER.

Edited to add. We had influenza A this year go through myself and some of the kids.
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 27-09-2014 at 08:49.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (27-09-2014)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I love Scrubs. One of my favourites

I give ab's when prescribed, and I give the full dosage to the end. I've always seen an improvement when they've been prescribed though, so I can only assume each time it has been bacterial and never viral.

I never dispute doctors advice for my children. I have gone against one for myself, but he said I had scabies when I knew I didn't, and it would have meant stopping breastfeeding my two month old boys. So ner to that dr.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Very few people get the actual flu. It's very different from a bad cold, and you would likely need a home visit if you did have the flu as you wouldn't be able to leave the house. Going to the Dr for a cold is a waste of everyone's time.
    This.. I had influenza A in my teens - was bed ridden and had a locum come/test/suggest/medicate.
    Influenza and a cold/badcold are worlds apart - but many people think they're the same thing.
    Its like going to the Dr for Gastro. No. Stay home. Don't share it, present to ER if unable to recover.

My GP is pretty good with anti-b's. Knows we're not fans (one of my kids is difficult to medicate anyway) and will only prescribe/suggest for bacterial infections.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I am well aware what the real flu is, the last time I had it I was sick for over 6 weeks thanks to also having Glandular Fever at the moment.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OP I wonder if we saw the same GP? A month or so ago I picked up Dd from daycare at the end of a normal day. When I arrived the carer were taking her temp which was 37.8. I went straight from daycare to the bulk billing medical centre and waited there for an hour. Dd was hot but in her usual happy mood. By the time I saw the doctor her temp had shot up to 40.1. Said doctor ripped into me saying I was putting my dd at risk and he gave her nurofen right then and there. I explained that I had brought her straight in from daycare and had waited an hour AND she was hot but didn't seem THAT hot. The same doctor had a go at me earlier this year as I was caring for a friend's daughter whilst they were away and she had an ear infection. I knew she had no allergies to meds and she had no medical history and I got the mum on the phone explaining they were away and I was caring for her but he didn't want to treat her without a parent being present. The child was 11. Grumpy sh*t. However, I still see him as he is very thorough and I would prefer that than a lax, over prescriber.

FWIW I usually follow the direction of a GP whether or not my children need anti biotics.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Doctors are also very quick to diagnose ear infections and I doubt whether it was an actual infection every time (a screaming child's ears can look red from the screaming alone!).
    My experience has been the opposite (many doctors, across two states) and have been sent away many times with "they look a little sore/have fluid but not an infection". Ditto for viral tonsilitisWhen I lived rural a GP might have given me an AB script if it was Friday with instructions to give if fever is still there on Sunday (when all GPs were closed).

I had a GP recently go into detail about what they could see in the ear. They explained that it was bulging, indicating pressure behind and not red but cloudy looking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What a horrible visit to the doctor for you! Yes, I'm with the others, get a new one.

I trust my regular GP, I know he is a cautious man who weighs up pros and cons and will research something further if unsure. If he were to prescribe AB I know it's for a good reason.

Although the other day I couldn't get in with him and saw a young doctor, who prescribed AB for my DD's suspected ear infection. She said it looked like there may be an infection, handed over the script and swept us out the door. All that happened while DD screamed the house down.
    Last night DD came down with a full blown cold, so maybe that was the reason for her ear drama, I'm not sure. But now I've started her on AB I don't want to stop half way through the course.

Well.. I just rambled on didn't i? Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No I don't always fill a script for ab's. It really depends on so many things though. Last time I refused (drops not oral) was for "conjunctivitis". It wasn't conjunctivitis and I knew it.

And yes AB's are definitely overprescribed. It's why we have such lovely things as MRSA/C.DIFF/VRE/etc.
    Last edited by CMF; 27-09-2014 at 11:09.