+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    My daughter gets recurring ear and throat infections and I actually get a bit frustrated with the under-prescription of antibiotics. The GPs where we go pretty much always say "yes, she does have a throat infection but I don't want to give her yet another course of antibiotics so if she's not better in 2 days, come back". So every single time that has happened, I'm back there with a far more sick little girl, 2 days later. I honestly think they don't even glance at her records to realise that this happens often!
    This is exactly what would happen with my DD back in the 'bad old days' before she had her tonsils out. The GPs at the clinic who knew her realised that she never acted sick. She would literally turn cartwheels down the hall despite running a fever and having tonsils covered in pus. If we saw a new GP they would be hesitant because "she doesn't seem very bothered by it".

I thought the issue with tolerance was not due to over-prescribing but down to a) people not completing the course and stopping them as soon as they felt better and b) continual low-dose ABs being used on animals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids have never had AB's, if my regular dr did prescribe them, i would trust her 100%. She is very reluctant to prescribe ab's generally, & she will say something like 'i am quite confident it is viral, if she presents with xyz symptoms, please come back and see me and we will reassess'. If i saw a random dr, i would be more likely to question their judgement and whether they are given unneccesarily. I know my regular dr wouldnt give them unless she felt it was absolutely neccesary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I always go with what my doctor says. He will always tell me if its a virus and if I should just her the kids bodies fight it. So when he does prescribe ABs I trust he knows they need it plus, the few times he has, DD1 has been a mess, lethargic, won't move, ridiculously high temperatures.

I can't believe how rude your doctor was that would put me off so quickly and id search for a new one. My doctor spent a good 20 minutes with DD2 last week because he wanted to get a good look in her ears and throat and she kept screaming and wouldn't let him touch her. He kept playing with her and making her giggle until she was happy enough for him to look.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 4 month old keeps getting sick. One thing after another. Has had terrible cold/flu symptoms for about 3 weeks but very chesty. Took him to dr due to being inconsolable for 3 days. He had red throat and ear. Dr gave me a prescription to fill in a few days if he didnt improve.

I HATE antibiotics and pretty much any medication tbh but I have been so down about him continually being sick I thought stuff this and started him on it that day. 3 days later I have my happy little man back and his health is back to almost great.

Ive had a few different drs misdiagnose my kids over last 2 months even when ive told them theyve been exposed to xyz. I've lost all faith in medical proffession atm so I will be researching and being a million times more forceful from now on.

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    A few PPs have mentioned they wouldn't go to the doctor for flu. Are you kidding me??!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGirl View Post
    A few PPs have mentioned they wouldn't go to the doctor for flu. Are you kidding me??!
    I tend to think when people say this, they're using cold and flu as interchangeable conditions and they're not! There are colds and then there are colds and then there are nasty cold viruses and then there's a flu virus.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (27-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGirl View Post
    Unless they think they're suffering from a secondary infection of some sort, why is it so important to go to the dr when you have the Flu? I personally didnt go to the dr the last time I had the flu. Its a virus, so there really isn't much a dr can do for it?

And yea it was the real flu, not just a cold as DH and DS1 and DS3 all had it confirmed by the dr, so I didnt see the point in going lol.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by peanutmonkey; 26-09-2014 at 22:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I would give my kids anti-biotics if the doctor prescribed them... Unless the doctor was a total numskull and I didn't trust them. I trust my doctors though...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    Unless they think they're suffering from a secondary infection of some sort, why is it so important to go to the dr when you have the Flu? I personally didnt go to the dr the last time I had the flu. Its a virus, so there really isn't much a dr can do for it?

And yea it was the real flu, not just a cold as DH and DS1 and DS3 all had it confirmed by the dr, so I didnt see the point in going lol.

I nearly died last year from what I thought was Flu. Exact same symptoms. I was pregnant (my baby died as a result) but seeing a Dr early is what saved my life. A guy I subsequently came to know lost his wife to the same thing. She stayed in bed for 3 days thinking "it's just flu" until she started coughing up blood. She was dead within 48 hours leaving behind 2 yo and 4 yo DS's.

So yes, I would ALWAYS seek medical advice for a flu.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlover View Post
    I nearly died last year from what I thought was Flu. Exact same symptoms. I was pregnant (my baby died as a result) but seeing a Dr early is what saved my life. A guy I subsequently came to know lost his wife to the same thing. She stayed in bed for 3 days thinking "it's just flu" until she started coughing up blood. She was dead within 48 hours leaving behind 2 yo and 4 yo DS's.

So yes, I would ALWAYS seek medical advice for a flu.
    Im so very sorry for your loss.

The few times I've had the flu the dr has always just told me to rest and keep up fluids, so unless I suspect a secondary infection I usually just try to follow that.