+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If it's something bacterial then absolutely antibiotics - DD's had them when she had staph in NICU and again when she had a UTI when she was around 12m.

If it's not certain whether it's viral or bacterial, my doctor usually gives me a script and says "wait 24/48/X hours, if no improvement start the course". This isn't even in response to any reluctance on my part or anything of the sort, it's just his standard thing, but I like it, because I know ABs will do nothing against anything viral and there's no point.

DD's had three colds and had ABs once for one that was not shifting and my GP suspected had become a throat infection.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

harvs  (26-09-2014)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've actually requested antibiotics in the past for myself/children and been refused; which leads me to believe that they are unlikely to be prescribed unless absolutely necessary- I don't think the "kickback" theory really relates to antibiotics.. It's generally Ammoxilin (sp?) anyway, I haven't really had any other brand.
    The reason my requests for antibiotics have been denied is because what I've deemed an infection has actually been diagnosed as viral. So yeah, I find the opposite, in my experience I've never really had a doctor hand them out willy nilly. Apparently antibiotics are so overused anyway that the majority of the population have built up an intolerance.

How is your DS now?

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

harvs  (26-09-2014)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    It's bacterial, so I decided to start the course tonight. It was a really fun battle getting that AND nurofen into him, but after thirty minutes he was up and dancing and now he's fast asleep, so I'm hoping he will just sleep it off. Thanks again y'all - it's so great to have a team of experts on call 24/7 😜

6. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Mokeybear  (26-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fortunately myself and dd have a really good doctor. He knows dd well enough to know how she is and whether she needs them or not.
    I tend not to go to the docs for colds/flu/temp/virus type stuff.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kezanazz For This Useful Post:

harvs  (26-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    I've actually requested antibiotics in the past for myself/children and been refused; which leads me to believe that they are unlikely to be prescribed unless absolutely necessary- I don't think the "kickback" theory really relates to antibiotics.. It's generally Ammoxilin (sp?) anyway, I haven't really had any other brand.
    The reason my requests for antibiotics have been denied is because what I've deemed an infection has actually been diagnosed as viral. So yeah, I find the opposite, in my experience I've never really had a doctor hand them out willy nilly. Apparently antibiotics are so overused anyway that the majority of the population have built up an intolerance.

How is your DS now?

I've been refused antibiotics for DD quite recently when my gut was telling me something was wrong... Turned out she had pneumonia! So it can go the other way too.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

harvs  (26-09-2014),~Marigold~  (26-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter gets recurring ear and throat infections and I actually get a bit frustrated with the under-prescription of antibiotics. The GPs where we go pretty much always say "yes, she does have a throat infection but I don't want to give her yet another course of antibiotics so if she's not better in 2 days, come back". So every single time that has happened, I'm back there with a far more sick little girl, 2 days later. I honestly think they don't even glance at her records to realise that this happens often!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't go necessarily with the doctors recommendations but I'm in the medical field.
    Too many GP's prescribe AB's for viruses.
    That being said I have a GP who is current with his practice and so on the ball that he wouldn't prescribe AB's for a viral infection.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (27-09-2014)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulK View Post
    I've been refused antibiotics for DD quite recently when my gut was telling me something was wrong... Turned out she had pneumonia! So it can go the other way too.
    Crazy. Yeah, they can misdiagnose for sure. It's hard because you want to trust the professional but at the same time trust your gut.

There have been a few times where I've been told that antibiotics weren't needed and I've had to return a few days later when things got worse. It's frustrating.
    I actually think they are kind of hard to get a hold of these days as, like I said, an immunity is building amongst the population and people are requesting them unnecessarily so doctors are becoming stricter.
    So when I'm given them these I happily take them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I have a GP that I trust and one that I feel prescribes AB's appropriately, soi go with his advice and opinion.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    When DS was about 18 months/ 2 years old he had what I thought was a splinter near his fingernail. I couldn't get it out (and DS didn't talk at the time so couldn't communicate with him) so I took him to the doctors thinking that I could hold him whilst the doctor put those magnifying glass thingys on and get the splinter out. It was a different GP to the one I usually saw and it turned out there was no splinter, just a little cut and some swelling. The doctor prescribed ABs, I kid you not. I looked at the scripts and said something like "really, antibiotics?" He said yep, there is most likely an infection in there that will need ABs. I could not believe that I was getting a script for ABs for a hurty finger. I didn't get the script filled and would you believe DS's finger healed just fine.