+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default How do you decide when to give your child antibiotics?

So, I ended up at the doctors with DS and a temp of 40.5 degrees this afternoon. After the doctor yelled at DS for touching his stethoscope with his 'sick hands' and hauled me over the coals re his healing eczema, he then gave me a hard time because DS apparently has a terrible throat infection and I should have brought him in sooner. Given that he has been absolutely fine until 3 this afternoon and I had him in at the doctor by 4.30, I don't see how I could have!

Anyway, he prescribed medication, and when I asked if they were antibiotics, he kind of tutted at me and asked if I was one of those mums that refused to give their kids antibiotics. I said if it was recommended and my son was sick then I would trust a doctor's opinion. Seriously, wtf??

So thinking about it now that I'm calm, I'm wondering if the doctor feels frustrated because he sees a lot of parents who automatically refuse antibiotics or something. Which leads me to wonder: when would you and wouldn't you give your child antibiotics? Do you have a rule of thumb that you go by?

I'm not as educated about this stuff as I should be, and it seems that parents that mindlessly use antibiotics are the new scourge of the earth... So, I'd love some education please!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    He sounds like a horrible doctor!

I go by what my GP recommends. I trust their opinion and don't believe they give out antibiotics if they aren't necessary. I think my kids have only had them for ear infections so far.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

harvs  (26-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I give antibiotics to DD when the doctor prescribes them, given DD absolutely refuses to ingest them its a moot point

Sounds to me like you need to find a nice doctor, ask for recommendations from friends, you need a doc with a relaxed manner with children ( and the parent)!

DD assaults her doctor every single time I take her, he just chuckles indulgently, I sweat bullets whenever she needs to go 😐

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

harvs  (26-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Firstly I'd get a new doctor. There is no way I'd let a doctor talk to me like that or treat my daughter like that! So rude.

Secondly. .. If there's a infection present.... That can be treated with antibiotics then yes. .. I'd use them. If it was viral.. Then no. I never use antibiotics just for the sake of it and I definitely refer to my dd's Dr's for the safe use of medications.

I know some friends in my 'heart kid' community who have Dr's who blatantly prescribe antibiotics with no good reason just because they're unsure with dealing with kids with heart defects. I find that ludicrous and wouldn't follow the advice of 'just in case' iykwim.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

harvs  (26-09-2014),mousky  (27-09-2014),smallpotatoes  (27-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That doctor has a horrible bedside manner!

I give my child antibiotics when the doctor deems it necessary. That said I will ask what the condition it is they have e.g ear infection or tonsillitis. If they even hint that it might be viral infection of some sort, I will then ask why they think antibiotics are necessary.

Other than that I go by what DP says as he is a doctor .

So.....now doctors don't scare me and I now question them for their reasons for prescribing antibiotics in a respectful manner. Since I have done this I have not had a doctor get annoyed or short with me at all.

DP gets frustrated when he cleans up messes in the emergency department because parents don't follow the GPs instructions in the first place. He has no qualms in giving a detailed explanation as to why a child needs antibiotics and has a few little diagrams he uses to show ear infections etc.....he does them for my kids when they are sick.

So I can understand why they doctor may get frustrated. He could have said to you in a respectful way "Is there any concerns you have with your child having antibiotics"....or something.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

harvs  (26-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Gosh the doctor sounds like a jerk!!!! We were at the GP today and DS2 was getting into everything and even started playing with the blood pressure machine and my GP just laughed. I would never go back to a doctor that treated myself or my child like that!

I always go with what my GP recommends in terms of antibiotics for the kids. The doctors we see don't like to give them unless absolutely necessary so I trust their professional judgement. DS1 has had them about 3 times for ear infections.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

harvs  (26-09-2014)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Unfortunately I get no choice of doctor out here, unless I want to wait about three weeks for an appointment. I've seen this guy before and thought he was lovely, so maybe he was having a bad day. Dunno...

Thanks for your responses. I think I'm the type of person that would never even think of questioning a doctor since they go through all of that training, but when you read all the theories* about kickbacks from drug companies etc. it really makes you think.

* OK. I confess. It was on Scrubs. But that show is totally realistic.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (27-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I go by my gut. I don't take them to Dr unless I think they may need them. We don't go for cold and flu or temps unless I can see some else wrong.

As a rule of thumb any ear pain we are there for antibiotics. My kids have very narrow ear canels. I have 2 burst eardrums so we are very careful.

Chest and throats I play by ear.

Currently I one child on a six month course for serve acne and one for a bad chest infection.

Your Dr need a good telling off. He is a stupid jerk.
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 27-09-2014 at 09:10.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

harvs  (26-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Unfortunately I get no choice of doctor out here, unless I want to wait about three weeks for an appointment. I've seen this guy before and thought he was lovely, so maybe he was having a bad day. Dunno...

Thanks for your responses. I think I'm the type of person that would never even think of questioning a doctor since they go through all of that training, but when you read all the theories* about kickbacks from drug companies etc. it really makes you think.

* OK. I confess. It was on Scrubs. But that show is totally realistic.
    Scrubs is great....and sooooo realistic!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

harvs  (26-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've been lucky with DS that he's never needed them but my GP would not give them out unless absolutely necessary and I would definitely question if they were needed if it was a random Dr - BUT my poor nephew is not yet 3 and he has been prescribed antibiotics 7 times - mainly for colds/ high temps or what his Drs say us a "virus" which seems to quite common around here especially from medical centre GPs where a lot of people seem to go as they bulk bill. ( this in my circle and clients I know ) so yes I do think antibiotics are over prescribed which is why there is an actual super bug problem now - so id guess that Dr has been questioned over it as everyone else is worried as well

There are plenty of stories, especially on bubhub of GPs misdiagnosing or giving out wrong information ( especially on breastfeeding and nutrition) yes they are Doctors but they are also humans who can make mistakes so I would definitely question a doctor if I was worried

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

harvs  (26-09-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (26-09-2014)