+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Would you travel 3hrs to give birth?

I'm not pregnant right now, I had my DD at a local private hospital here.

Unfortunately we may be moving in the near future, and that got me thinking about my next birth.

I do not want to give birth in the town we are moving to. I absolutely cannot stand the one private OB they have there.
    Due to my miscarriage history and some other things I am feeling very loyal to the OB who oversaw DD's arrival. I don't feel comfortable with anyone but him.

So I'm thinking that the week before due date I could travel back to where i used to live, or even when contractions start.
    Am I thinking crazy thoughts? Has anyone done anything similar?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would consider staying there for the week or so before I was due, but I wouldn't want to be in the car for 3 hours when in labour! My car ride was only about 15 minutes and that was more than I could handle.

I guess it's personal preference, some people cope a lot better than others with the early stages of labour!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Curby For This Useful Post:

ourbradybunch  (27-09-2014),Taiyed  (27-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol very true @Curby , I think I've already forgotten how awful labour car rides are!
    A week before would be ideal. DH would probably appreciate a more relaxed me too 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Where I live in the country, you have no choice but to birth a minimum of three hours away. My OB always wanted his rural patients in the city at least two weeks before due date. So that's what we did.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (26-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    That wouldn't have been an option for me as my second was a pretty fast one (3 hours from nothing to baby in arms, pushing stage 6 minutes). Unless you're having a scheduled induction or c-section I personally think 3 hours is too far away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    You need to be realistic. You need to plan to be there at least 4 or 5 weeks. 2 to 3 weeks before and 2 weeks after in case you go overdue. If this is doable than sure go for it.

Give ob a ring a have a chat. You lose nothing by ringing and seeing if they will take you on if you do decide that you want to go that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I wouldn't personally as my labour doesn't go for long and I would hate to be in the car while in labour.

"Insert witty signature here"

Thanks
    Reviews
    A week before may not be long enough, I went into labour at 37 weeks, or you could go over as well.

It also depends on how you go in the car during labour, as another pp said I was also 15 mins from hospital and the car ride was awful! Can't imagine being stuck in a car for 3 hours of that, I needed to get out and move around and sitting there was like torture!

If you could be there in advance for a few weeks at least then it could work though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all.
    I did say earlier that I've ditched the driving last minute idea. A silly one really. But I know people may have missed that since I don't always read an entire thread before commenting.

If we move, we will still have quite a lot to do with our old town. Still have a holiday property here, where we would stay. The duration of the stay isn't an issue either.
    Some might think in being a total diva over this, but everyone has a right to their own healthcare choices. I know the OB in the town we are moving to, I've encountered him before and he was horrible. I left his office in tears several times, he has no compassion.
    If there is a new OB in future, admittedly I will probably give them a go before travelling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by alexis243 View Post
    Thanks all.
    I did say earlier that I've ditched the driving last minute idea. A silly one really. But I know people may have missed that since I don't always read an entire thread before commenting.

If we move, we will still have quite a lot to do with our old town. Still have a holiday property here, where we would stay. The duration of the stay isn't an issue either.
    Some might think in being a total diva over this, but everyone has a right to their own healthcare choices. I know the OB in the town we are moving to, I've encountered him before and he was horrible. I left his office in tears several times, he has no compassion.
    If there is a new OB in future, admittedly I will probably give them a go before travelling.
    No one thinks your a diva. Everyone is trying to help you.
    It's your body and your baby.
    Being as informed as you can be is the very best idea. People are just trying point out things you may not of thought of.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

alexis243  (26-09-2014)