+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I think it looks like someone has dragged out 10 year old gluggy mascara and applied a dozen coats full of clumps. I don't get it, it looks horrible
    I thought the exact same thing! But have to seem enthused every time I see my friend who is mad about the stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    I don't like party plans and I tend to try and avoid them if I can, but I do sometimes feel that pressure that I should go for my friends sake. I usually never buy anything and wonder everytime why I went!

I do know someone who has signed up to essentially a pyramid scheme but selling products. She tries to sign everyone up so she can advance to whatever the next level "manager" is as well as flogging the products and apparent amazing lifestyle you can have if you join (sure thing!). I think this is worse than party plans!
    I have had so much pressure from my friend to sell the stuff too. She is endlessly posting on her Facebook page about her sales and obsession with younique and close-up selfies - she's early 40's! It's just too much that it has the opposite effect on the products (in that I just want nothing to do with it all as it seems like a religion the way she goes on about it).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Eugh. We have an Avon seller at work, and they're brill. Just leaves the catalogue on the lunch table with a note when orders are due. It's perfect.
    That is the ONLY time I will ever participate in party plan!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    This.
    I'm a little bit saddened by the responses! I mean I know you can get some really pushy people, so that's fair enough to want to avoid them, but all the parties I've been to and hosted, it's all been mainly for the purpose of a get-together! Absolutely no pressure to buy anything. If you want to buy something, great, if not, don't. It's really that simple.
    I have been disappointed in the past when people don't turn up. It's not hard just to come and hang out and sit and listen to the lady, and say "no thanks" when she asks what you're going to order.
    It may not be hard but it's not how I want to spend my limited free time - party plan stuff bores the socks off me so if I want to get together with my friends I would rather do it without having to ensure a sales spiel about things I have no interest in purchasing and being pressured into hosting a party of my own.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rusty22 For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (23-10-2014),TheGooch  (26-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I am not a huge fan of them because I am a scrooge, I dont like spending a fortune on something I can get cheaper elsewhere. I also struggle with pressure, not from the host but the consultant. I am not good at saying no so if there is pressure I do tent to buy stuff which I hate, so sometimes I dont go.

That being said, my best friend used to do Tupperware so I went to and hosted parties for her, she now does scentsy which I actually love so I do basket parties for her.

I also have a friend who does YIAH (Your Inspiration At Home) and I love the stuff but she can be a bit pushy with trying to get people to buy or host.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    This.
    I'm a little bit saddened by the responses! I mean I know you can get some really pushy people, so that's fair enough to want to avoid them, but all the parties I've been to and hosted, it's all been mainly for the purpose of a get-together! Absolutely no pressure to buy anything. If you want to buy something, great, if not, don't. It's really that simple.
    I have been disappointed in the past when people don't turn up. It's not hard just to come and hang out and sit and listen to the lady, and say "no thanks" when she asks what you're going to order.
    I guess I'm pretty fatigued by the whole party plan thing. And where does it end? It seems like different things go through fads and suddenly every friend, colleague, acquaintance and neighbour is hosting basically the same products at the same time. And the products seem to be more expensive each time! First it was Tupperware, then linen, then pans, then candles, and now it's thermomix! There's just no way I'm going to a TMX party as there's no way I'm buying one. The whole "rent a crowd" thing doesn't entice me at all. I spend my whole day working/driving/talking/being talked at then rushing home to spend what little spare time I have with DD and DH, then maybe a little exercise before crashing. Weekends are crazy busy, I want to spend that time with people I love, doing fun things. Fun for me doesn't = getting a sales pitch about products I am not interested in. Maybe a bit harsh but it's the truth.
    Last edited by MsViking; 26-09-2014 at 06:47.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (23-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    And if you're a quiet person who doesnt like to say no to helping people, when the consultant gets pushy and starts bugging people to "help" the host out by buying more or hosting your own party, it can be extremely hard to say no, so for some people it really is easier for them to not go at all.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (26-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    This.
    I think lots of people, and I'm one of them, absolutely hate party plans. I don't want to get dragged along bc the host wants 50 bucks off a quiltor 70% off their next Tupperware purchase. The Host may not be pushy, but often she isn't the one actually running the party, the Consultant is, and they are the ones who are pushy.

I'm just not interested in sitting there for two hours being shown $100 candles and having to say no 20 times so my mate gets a discount off their purchase

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulK View Post
    Fun for me doesn't = getting a sales pitch about products I am not interested in. Maybe a bit harsh but it's the truth.
    Same. It's my idea of hell tbh. I'm not keen on the whole rent a crowd premise. It makes the host sound greedy and demanding

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (23-10-2014),KitiK  (26-09-2014),MsViking  (26-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe I've just been lucky with the parties I've been to- the host is always a close friend (I don't go to randoms' parties) and as such there's never any pressure from them to buy. The consultants, who yes are usually the pushy ones, will come trotting over to me with an order form saying "do you need a hand filling this out, here I'll fill it out for you what do you want to order?" , I just say no I'm not ordering anything thanks, and then they leave me alone. I dunno... I have been told I have a b!tchy face LOL so maybe I unknowingly give them filthies and they get scared.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friends recently went through a big Tupperware phase - admittedly started because I hosted a party to help out a friend of a friend who was just starting out. Because it was the first one that any of them had been to, the demonstrator got HEAPS of sales and party bookings and I got loads of host freebies (which was an added bonus). However, within one group of friends that were there, everyone wanted to host a party to try and get the host freebies and it became a bit of a "I'll come to yours if you come to mine" thing, and by the time we got to the 4th or 5th one, none of us actually needed/wanted to buy anything anymore. I think it can work really well if you are starting out with a product that your group of friends has not been exposed to yet - but it becomes understandable when everyone gets a bit over going to parties.