+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Friends who sell stuff (Tupperware etc etc)

So just wondering what everyone else does. I'm not a fan of 'selling parties', if I'm invited to them I decline as I don't want to buy anything so why bother going BUT does this make me an unsupportive friend by not even attending? I would love to hear the views of people who host these parties as well as attendees. I think its great that people can make money from home and in their spare time, but I don't want to feel obligated to buy something, that I usually cant afford or really actually need. I don't know......just curious to hear from others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    No I don't think it's unsupportive at all. I admit I despise party plans. Tupperware, Le Reve, Lorraine linen, UnderCover Wear. Hate them all They are insanely over priced and require the seller to hassle family and friends (who often hate them as well). Sellers only make money off them the first couple of parties. Unless you know heaps and heaps of people who are really rich and want 15 bedspreads, you only make money on the first party or two then the sales dry up.

I'm not going to spend $200 on a quilt or $90 on a silicone cake tin when I get get the same thing for 4 bucks at The Reject Shop just to make someone else some short term money.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (26-09-2014),Cue  (26-09-2014),KitiK  (25-09-2014),Serenity Love  (27-09-2014),Starfish30  (27-09-2014),VicPark  (26-09-2014)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No way! I'm with you! I despise those parties more than almost anything. I always feel like I should buy something if I do go. Then I buy stuff I don't want for some insane price!
    Although I did go to a Tupperware party about 12 months ago and it motivated me so I left the party, went to Coles and bought a stack of sistema containers and organised my pantry!
    I think if you're not going to buy, don't feel like you should go. It's not really hospitality like a normal party if the reason to get together is for you to buy stuff!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (26-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't mind going to parties every now and then but I will not host them! I hate asking people who I know probably don't want to come to a party where they feel obligated to buy something.
    I have a close friend who is heavily involved with a newish party plan and has asked a few times if I have a party and I just keep avoiding it, she is doing so well and I'm really proud of her but I just can't bring myself to have a party.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love party plan and hold demos, invite everyone and most people don't come and don't "support" me but it honestly doesn't bother me . If they don't like it that's fine !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I usually say to my friends that I'll come if they want me to but I'm on a tight budget so can't buy anything. So straight away they know I'm not going to buy. 9 times out of 10 they still ask me to come and I have actually had a great time because there's no pressure on me to buy.

I haven't been able to go to any since DS1 was born 2 years ago and I find now my friends don't invite me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like going as, well, it's a good excuse for a social gathering. If I don't want to buy I don't. But I like the format. The host gets free stuff as an incentive for having one. I've just signed up to do Tupperware. Will 'earn' my kit after I've sold so much (will take about 4 parties I think) so I can keep that if I decide to stop. But thought there's no harm giving it a try, good way to meet people. My neighbour says she's addicted to it and loves the parties, so she's coming to mine next week. I don't expect anyone who comes to buy, it's just nice they came along! 😃

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (27-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love Tupperware, i was a demonstrator for a while but the parties dried up and my manager was pushy so i ended it. I would have loved to keep going as i love the product but i wasn't a great seller because i dont like to pressure people. I go to parties for friends because i enjoy catching up and a free feed i dont go to parties for people i barely know though.

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I detest party plans etc. I don't mind going if its hosted by close friends and i know a few people there. But I'm a bit unsociable in that I don't like sitting with a bunch of women I don't really know, and that's usually the case at these parties, and at hen nights, baby showers etc. It's torture to me lol so I avoid them like the plague.

As for ad-hoc stuff like someone trying to seek me Avon in the school yard at 8.50am, well that brings out my unsociable punchy side ha ha. There's a mum at our local school who has tried to sell me some "slimming aids" 4 times this year (I won't name them), and she has approached me a couple of times asking for other mums full names so she can connect with them on Facebook and try to sell them stuff as well.

I'm anti-advertising aka having things shoved in my face at the best of times, if I want something I research it and go buy it. If im friends with the seller and there's no pressure to buy, then fine. Otherwise I run a MILE!
    Last edited by Gothel; 25-09-2014 at 20:54.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (25-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What does everyone think of younique? It's online selling but still selling and I have a friend who's become obsessed with it! It's making me think she's a bit unbalanced right now and I'm trying to support her and even bought some but she has just gone berserk with it on Facebook and even posts selfies. On one hand I think good for her, but on the other, she's changed a lot and seems insecure.