+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tattoos and breastfeeding?

My son is now just over 3 weeks old and is currently on breastmilk and formula. I've tried searching online to see if it's safe for me to get a tattoo while I'm breastfeeding, but nothing I've read makes sense and everyone has a different opinion. I understand that regardless of bf'ing you need to go to a clean and sterile tattoo place to avoid getting an infection (I have two tattoos already). I've read that there is a possibility of the ink getting into my blood ****** or my milk, and that some places may not do it. I haven't fully decided anything about the tattoo just that I want his name and maybe birth date. At the moment I'm just pricing it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just ring the tattoo parlour and ask them. One of the artists would know the answer

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

emem93  (25-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's one of those things artists have different opinions on. Some will say it's fine, no risks etc and others won't do it. So it's hard to get a definite answer on if it's safe or not.

FWIW, I have friends who will tattoo a BF Mum, and they work in well respected shops.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

emem93  (25-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think there would be any chance of the ink making it to your milk (purely a non expert opinion lol). I thought the issue was the possibility of infection that made it not ideal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got a tattoo when my daughter was 18 months and still breast feeding. The tattoo place assured me it was safe and after doing research I felt comfortable getting it done.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've gotten nearly all my tattoos while breastfeeding I didn't realise it was something that could be a risk

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's actually mainly due to the fact that it will take longer to heal. Your body is spending loads of energy recovering & even more making milk. The energy required to heal a tattoo along with even just the shock (even if you have lots & lots of tattoos like me it's still a shock) of having it done can effect your supply. A reputable shop (like the one's I've worked in) won't tattoo a breast feeding mum... No so much you @just.ace because you've got a very established routine by that time but 3 weeks is probably a little early.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am currently feeding my 7 mth old dd. I spoke to a tattooist recently and he said that it is safe to do but he has known of women to lose or have a decrease in their supply due to the 'stress' the body goes through during and after. Those women though had huge pieces done. He said he would happily ink something small but would prefer me to wait until I have finished feeding to start my bigger piece. Also, there is no chance of anything crossing over into your milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by squishie View Post
    I don't think there would be any chance of the ink making it to your milk (purely a non expert opinion lol). I thought the issue was the possibility of infection that made it not ideal.
    This is totally right @squishie.
    As a nurse who has worked in 'infectious diseases' for the last 15 yrs, if you were to catch a blood borne pathogen from unsterilized equipment (like HIV or Hep B or C) you are most infectious when you are newly infected and it is possible to transmit these disease through breast milk.
    If you go to a reputable joint, it should be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My tattooist refuses to do so.