+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default DD spitting water on herself

This is a bit silly but I was hoping someone might have some advice. DD is 20 months and for the last couple of weeks she'll drink water from her cup then spit it out all over herself and the carpet, toys etc.

When she asks for water I'm reluctant to say no because sometimes she really is thirsty and other times she just wants to spit it out, when she spits it out I always tell her no we don't do that and take the cup away but then when she asks for it later I give it back because she might be thirsty.

I also change her clothes because I don't want to leave her in soaking wet clothes as the weather is still a little cold where we are and I don't want her getting sick. It's getting so frustrating having to change her clothes so many times. Should I leave her in her wet top and socks so it feels uncomfortable and hopefully she'll stop doing it or is there something else I can try, or is it a matter of just putting up with it until she decides to stop? TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say it's her latest trick and she will soon become bored. I would change her because leaving her wet is a bit mean. Give her a week she will be on to something else ie chasing the cat, smearing food on the windows, clogging the toilet with paper and your shoes

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a stage and it'll will most likely stop. It's play to her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hahahaha, ur baby is hilarious.

I'm sure it gets lots of mummy's attention too!

My sister used to put the remote in the toilet all the time, even if we were at someone else's house, she would do it on stealth mode. Then she started dropping things off the balcony and loved seeing who would come to the door and return it. Sometimes if she had a snack like chocolate she would lick the windows with it, even if we were in the car.

It drove my parents crazy, but she just kind of grew out of it. She's a lovely little thing today. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my kids have gone through phases of doing this - 17mo Ds2 is going through it right now. I wouldn't leave her wet if it's cold, don't draw too much attention to it and she will get over the novelty.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dd is a similar age and loves the same game. She loves playing with water.
    And spitting it out all down her chin and clothes and on the floor is her favourite part. Drives me nuts. So I only offer water during meal times and intermittently throughout the day. If I leave her drink near her playing and she starts playing with it I take it away.
    It's pretty much a sensory game. . She likes the feel of it.

I sometimes give her water in cups to play with and stuff. I can't wait for summer and she can play with water as much as she wants!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD continued to do this off and on at teeth brushing time until she was 5! Instead of spitting into the sink she'd let it fall out her mouth all over pj's and floor. Grrr!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD did this at the same age. As others have said, it's sensory experimentation. I ended up getting a big dinner tray and letting her play with water in her tea set on that. That was way more fun than spitting and distracted her. We made the rule that water play was for the tray only and she (mostly) stuck to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my 15mo ds was doing this heaps about 2 months ago. now he's just tipping it out (or squeeze it out from his bottle) and spreading it all over the floors so there's random puddles everywhere!! lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Thanks for all the replies! Looks like I'll have to ride it out 😁