+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Garden maintenance included in rent?

Has anyone leased a house that had garden maintenance included in the rent?

Or have you been a landlord and had this included for your tenant?

Just wondering how much maintenance was/is actually carried out.

We have this included in our rent (lawns are our responsibility), but all that happens is someone rocks up very occasionally and briefly to spray a few weeds. Weeds are never pulled out, bushes are not trimmed etc.

I honestly expected that this would mean the gardens would be maintained to a standard in which we would not have to carry out gardening ourselves - am I wrong here?

I'm going to have a discussion with the real estate about it, but I'm just curious to hear others experiences.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    One would think/expect that it would mean gardens are kept in a reasonable state- trimmed, weeded etc regularly (whether once a f/n or once a month). Sounds like you got a dodgy gardener! I would definitely have a chat to the real estate!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would expect everything to be done regularly to ensure the property remains the same as when you moved in. Especially because when gardens are included, you're normally paying for it by paying extra rent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've only had a place with lawns included and that meant we did not need to touch the lawns (mow or edge).

I would expect, as PP said, gardens will be maintained as they were when you moved in. I approach the agent from the perspective that they would want to know that their contractor isn't doing the job he's being paid for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's been ages, but when we had garden maintenance included they came every couple of weeks and mowed/trimmed plants/pulled out weeds etc. We literally didn't have to touch it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    That doesn't sound right to me. Make sure you tell your property manager as they may not be aware that the job is not being done properly, and I'm sure that the landlord would not appreciate paying for something they're not getting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had "garden maintenance" included in our old rent but they told us it just meant lawns. They rarely got done, even after we complained and asked for cheaper rent. I never trimmed any bushes but when we moved out at least they couldn't say anything about the state of the garden. Overall it was pretty frustrating, I wouldn't sign a lease like that again - rather just do it myself and have it done properly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks everyone.

I ended up emailing our property manager yesterday afternoon to query it and I'm waiting to hear back.

The PM did notice the front gardens needed attention last time we had a routine inspection and DH did tell her that the maintenance people don't do much. I'm not sure if she addressed the issue with maintenance at that point or not, but if she did they haven't done anything to rectify it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    At least you have it in writing now, so nobody can turn around and say you didn't notify them.