+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Gp yesterday said he was fine. Would he be teething at 11 weeks old??

Ive tried infacts friend & similar, sometimes it helps & sometimes it doesnt.

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with busy bee

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok so this evening, given I cant tell what he wants should I just feed him & then hold him while he sleeps so that he can feed again when he wants? How will I know when he's completely finished so I can put him to bed so I can go to bed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My 9wk old DS isn't too much of a crier but his sleep is a bit all over the place. I struggle too with his cues so I know what you mean. I recently spent a week at Tresillian and they said to look for bub holding their hands in front of their chest and bringing closed fists to their mouth. The mouthing thing can be hard though because at this age they just like sucking on things.

Tired cues are
    - breaking eye contact
    - grimacing/frowning
    - jerky movements
    - whinging or crying
    - yawning

It's hard at the end of the day because they're usually overtired and much harder to settle.

Offer the breast if he won't settle but if he refuses then keep trying to settle as best you can. It's tough and there's no magic solution unfortunately. I am only just surviving too so I feel your pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The general rule I use atm is to start settling baby after 1 hour of awake time. Then I don't miss the cue.
    I sent you a pm a little while ago with the details of a baby whisperer. I am using her atm and her help is invaluable. She can help you in you own home with all of this and her advice is brilliant. I too found the CHN advice not helpful at all and needed someone hands on

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD at that age had a long awake time from about 7.30pm-midnight. It would drive me nuts as she wouldn't settle to sleep at all. I let her cluster feed which would take up half the time. I had sore nipples through the whole feed which was the worst part of this time but I got through it. After some point she would repeatedly latch on and off the boob so I'd pop in a pacifier. As I just had the one baby I didn't worry about dinner, it was either takeaway or tuna for us, and I just fed in bed with the telly on soft/playing on phone during this trying time.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    If it's any consolation, I never once saw a tired sign in either of my babies, especially DS. He was so alert but he also fell into a regular pattern every day from quite early (possibly because he was more FF than BF). The only way I knew he was ready for a sleep was by the clock. I would wrap him and start the patting/rocking process and at some point he would do the eye roll thing which we learnt meant he was tired.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When he does go down he'll sleep through, just getting him to go down is what im struggling with.

He's refusing to sleep in his cot for day sleeps again so he's barely slept today so im already dreading this evening.

Hopefully some of the tips in this thread will work

Ive tried doing it by the clock as well. He just wont go to sleep in his cot. He has to be in his rocker or being held. Everyone told me to just do what worked at first, so I did, but now im stuck with a baby who wont go to sleep by himself & cant settle

SIDS says its not safe to leave a baby asleep in a rocker or similar & I agree with that, so I sit here for his entire sleep watching him.

Last edited by heartstringz; 25-09-2014 at 14:04.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh hun. You are doing amazing. I hope none of us have confused you. I tried so many routines with my boys. very combo of sleep feed play. But bf babies make their own rules in my experience.

For me I found have routine around sleep was the easiest. Like precious poster mentioned I swear by awake for an hr and start to resettle for sleep even if they don't seem tired and regardless of how long they slept the previous sleep.

It eliminated them being tired whih left unhappy baby probably hungry at which point I would pop them on boob. Often I would pop them on just to 'check' if they attach and want a feed I do the whole setup like you mentioned. I used to shove a pad down my other bra in case of leaking until I worked out if they wanted food

Then the other things I always checked
    -tired
    -hibgry
    -wet/dirty
    -hot/cold
    -pain/discomfort/wind
    -environment

Being awake one hr doesn't leave much time to do much playing in my experience and I never worried much about it. It was fitting in the other things. Sleep and feeding. And then just hangin out with bubba.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It's normal for babies not to self settle. Does he like being swaddled?

Also I swear by happiest baby on the block. Best book for the early days.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast