+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Getting worried about 3yo

DD1 turned 3 a few weeks ago, has been toilet trained for 4 months. A few months back, had a stutter that corrected its self and we had not heard it untill about a week ago.

DD is bilingual and has really been stepping up the English over the last 6 months, she knows how to distinguish the difference between the two with some words ie animal names mummy/daddy etc

This last week her stutter is back and seems worse because when she struggles to get the word out, she shuts her eyes really tight and almost stops breathing!

Then at the same time, has regressed with the toilet, won't use the ones we have up stairs, has a full pull up every morning (used to wake in middle of night if needed to pee) weed bed during arvo nap! So back in pull ups during day sleeps, won't pee anywhere other then home!!

I am really worried, anyone else experience this?

Her personality is also a little introverted but I can be like that too?

TIA

Any help, words of wisdom, much appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    From what I know, a stutter that comes on suddenly at this age usually indicates a new burst of language. Being bilingual means she would be processing a lot more information. I wouldn't be overly concerned at the moment. I would just gently stop her and then let her carry on. If it starts to overtake her progress I would consult a speechy for reassurance.

I also think the regression with the toileting isn't out of the ordinary. It is a very young age to be overnight/sleep toilet trained without regressions or accidents. It can be frustrating but just keep encouraging her. They seem to be very aware of what is going on around them at this age and can be 'scared' of new things.

However, after all that, you know your DD better then anyone. If none of it sits right with you I would ask for a referral to a developmental paed just to set your mind at ease.
    Last edited by Aquillah; 23-09-2014 at 21:37.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aquillah For This Useful Post:

Mama of 1  (23-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquillah View Post
    From what I know, a stutter that comes on suddenly at this age usually indicates a new burst of language. Being bilingual means she would be processing a lot more information. I wouldn't be overly concerned at the moment. I would just gently stop her and then let her carry on. If it starts to overtake her progress I would consult a speechy for reassurance.

I also think the regression with the toileting isn't out of the ordinary. It is a very young age to be overnight/sleep toilet trained without regressions or accidents. It can be frustrating but just keep encouraging her. They seem to be very aware of what is going on around them at this age and can be 'scared' of new things.

However, after all that, you know your DD better then anyone. If none of it sits right with you I would ask for a referral to a developmental paed just to set your mind at ease.

Thank you, with the toilet it does seem as though she is scared to use any other toilet other than our down stairs powder room! I am just not sure what scared her? She won't even use the toilet at childcare, which she would use on her own no assistance. Today had 5 accidents at care? Just seems huge!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    In regards to her stutter, I saw a speechie for my DS who had a similar problem. The speechie told me to say the words for my child- so don't stop her and get her to repeat herself. It's often very frustrating for them and the facial tick/movement is a reflection of that and is an involuntary movement.
    The speechie said don't draw attention to the stutter, rather draw attention to when she is speaking fluently, or as we call it 'smoothly'. Sometimes DS would ask about his 'bumpy' talking and I'd just tell him it was normal and not to worry. He is almost 7 now and his stuttering incidents are few and far between, intact I can't remember his last episode.

Sent from my iPad using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to My Beloved Ones For This Useful Post:

Mama of 1  (23-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by My Beloved Ones View Post
    In regards to her stutter, I saw a speechie for my DS who had a similar problem. The speechie told me to say the words for my child- so don't stop her and get her to repeat herself. It's often very frustrating for them and the facial tick/movement is a reflection of that and is an involuntary movement.
    The speechie said don't draw attention to the stutter, rather draw attention to when she is speaking fluently, or as we call it 'smoothly'. Sometimes DS would ask about his 'bumpy' talking and I'd just tell him it was normal and not to worry. He is almost 7 now and his stuttering incidents are few and far between, intact I can't remember his last episode.

Thank you, do you need a referral for a speechie? I am in Melbourne?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends, some places do and some don't. Maybe just ring a speech therapist place and ask them.

They are pricey though, a few hundred dollars just for an initial consultation/exam.

At your dds age I wouldn't be too worried to be honest, but it may be for your piece of mind more than anything. Maybe start keeping a little diary of when it occurs and how bad it seems on a scale of 1-10, just so the speechie can have a bit of background info.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama of 1 View Post
    Thank you, with the toilet it does seem as though she is scared to use any other toilet other than our down stairs powder room! I am just not sure what scared her? She won't even use the toilet at childcare, which she would use on her own no assistance. Today had 5 accidents at care? Just seems huge!!
    my DD is doing exactly the same thing for us at the moment - we too had 5 accidents at childcare today, and she's doing stuff like standing next to the toilet and wetting the floor. I think it's a phase as I've heard of other little girls doing the same thing at around age 3 or 4. My DD is not turning 3 until november, but she has been ahead of her peers maturity-wise most of her life. I wouldn't worry, and hopefully we all get through the other end of the toileting regression soon!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jussi For This Useful Post:

Mama of 1  (23-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My nephew developed a stutter when we started toilet training him. He had it nailed for a couple of weeks then had an incident with a poo and I think it stressed him out. He stuttered for a week till he did another poo in the potty. I think it was a stress thing. The toilet training had stressed him out and the stress levels lowered once he did a poo on the potty.

We just ignored it, didn't point it out and always gave him the option of a nappy if he wanted it so he didn't feel so stressed about it. He's speaking fine now though is having a stressful week moving and my sister said it crept back a little bit.

My DD1 has toilet training regressions, we just ignore it and keep doing the washing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Mama of 1  (24-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jussi View Post
    my DD is doing exactly the same thing for us at the moment - we too had 5 accidents at childcare today, and she's doing stuff like standing next to the toilet and wetting the floor. I think it's a phase as I've heard of other little girls doing the same thing at around age 3 or 4. My DD is not turning 3 until november, but she has been ahead of her peers maturity-wise most of her life. I wouldn't worry, and hopefully we all get through the other end of the toileting regression soon!

Thanks so much it's so hard sometimes to know what's the norm, I don't have friends that have experienced this as they all have boys either much younger or older!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    My nephew developed a stutter when we started toilet training him. He had it nailed for a couple of weeks then had an incident with a poo and I think it stressed him out. He stuttered for a week till he did another poo in the potty. I think it was a stress thing. The toilet training had stressed him out and the stress levels lowered once he did a poo on the potty.

We just ignored it, didn't point it out and always gave him the option of a nappy if he wanted it so he didn't feel so stressed about it. He's speaking fine now though is having a stressful week moving and my sister said it crept back a little bit.

My DD1 has toilet training regressions, we just ignore it and keep doing the washing.

I think I will be doing lots of washin also :-))