+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Calm birth / Hypno birthing?

Hi everyone! I'm looking for some advice and or stories surrounding calm birthing classes and or hypnobirthing. Hubby and I are not ttc until next year but the idea of a baby coming out of there scares the begeezus out of me!! Hehe, obvs will be our first, any advice? Tia xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    One of the midwives I work with is a calm birth practitioner. I've spoken to her a fair bit (but am definitely no expert) so I could try to answer any questions in relation to classes/philosophy...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ta theone, I don't really know anything about the concepts as yet, they're just terms I've heard. Any info you can provide is appreciated : )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have bought and am reading the book. The courses (around $700 for the day) are a bit pricey for me!
    There's a bit of talk in the book about how it's the fear of birth that causes the pain...this immediately puts me offside. In saying that I'm going to take on board some of the techniques for my next birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    http://www.calmbirth.com.au/

http://www.calmbirthregister.com/Def...PageID=6839807

Basically the philosophy as I understand it is educating women and their partners on the "mechanics" of labour so to speak, and understanding the relationship between what you're feeling and what that means for your body, and how to respond to your body's signs and signals. Women are taught the stages/phases of labour and are shown ways to allow their body to remain relaxed through meditation/breathing/focus. Partners are taught about the physical changes that are happening and ways they can help support their partner during labour - whether the latent phase or active phase. The principles of calm birth aren't only for use with calm birth - they can be adapted and used in every day life.

I would suggest reading up it via the link provided and perhaps contacting your local practitioner to see if they can give you any more information. I don't know full statistics or anything on calm birth vs normal birth, but a friend of mine had 2 babies. Her first was horrible and she ended up with pnd. Her second one was a calm birth and she says it was worlds apart (still ended up with pnd, but not as bad).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    I wouldn't say that the pain is caused by fear, but there is a definite difference between women labouring who are scared and panicky and women who are 'f*** this hurts, but I know its normal and what is supposed to happen".
    Totally agree. When women come in screaming their heads off, you know immediately that they're panicked and frightened by the noises they're making and the look in their eyes. I think people know labour will hurt, but they don't understand how/why it hurts as such. When women have a good understanding of labour and the mechanics, they tend to have much better births. Calm birth isn't as full on as hypno birthing. There's a place for each, but I think to do either properly you need to understand the philosophy/principles fully.

Thanks
    Reviews
    love it

I've had 3 babies now - I did a hypnobirthing course and did prenatal yoga with the same teacher before #1. all my labours were very different but I had the same comments from the midwives - I'm very calm, lol.

my last was a hard labour - over 3 days in hospital labouring, posterior and ended up in an emergency csection. I think having that base of calmness and also doing some reading on the process of birth (natural and otherwise) really helped me through it all

I recommend it for every pregnant woman x

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used hypno birthing and did a lot of practice of all the techniques beforehand. And also really believed in it all and the information behind it. My birth was so quick however that I never had time to get 'in the zone' and ease into it. So I abandoned it all and did everything I knew I shouldn't do! It was such a shock!

I still wholeheartedly believe in hypno birthing. I'd recommend it to people for preparing for a calm birth, but don't feel bad if you don't follow through!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did a calm birth course (around $350 for two Sunday's in a row - there was us and one other couple in the class), and I loved it! The theory of "calmbirth" is that the pain comes from fear as a result of fight or flight mechanisms. Fear causes adrenaline, which causes the body to direct blood flow to the extremities (to prepare for flight or fight). This causes lack of oxygen in the muscles around the uterus and causes pain from those muscles working hard without enough oxygen. By remaining calm, you avoid that response and your uterine muscles get their oxygen and you don't get pain. In the course you learn a lot of practical stuff for both partners as well as ways to remain calm through meditation and nose breathing. I had a drug free birth and really didn't feel pain from contractions, they were a strange feeling from the pressure and contracting muscles, but it didn't hurt. Not that I tell many people that, I usually get laughed at or called names anyway, I highly recommend the course, if I end up with a c sec this time around, I'll definitely be using the relaxation stuff to get me through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used the techniques for both my births.

First birth was very long (posterior labour) and after awhile I feel I lost focus a little bit, but in the end I achieved a drug free home water birth.

Second time I hired my beautiful doula who is also a hypnobirthing practitioner and read the book again etc. and my birth was fantastic! Only a few hours of active labour, I was calm and focused and dd was also born at home in water with her big brother there to see her. It was so special.

I am so happy and proud when I think of both of my births, they were absolutely amazing! Although I definitely had pain, I feel I could manage it well, especially the 2nd time.