+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Rear facing car seat

Hi everyone
    this is another car seat question!
    my nearly 20 month old is still rear facing. She is turning 2 (yep, terrible 2's) and I'm finding it really hard to keep her rear facing. She it throwing the BIGGEST tantrums when ever we get in the car (we have a holiday house 2.5 hours away.. it makes for a long drive)
    She is also trying to pull out of her seat to turn her head to watch DS's screen.
    i know rear facing longer is better, but I'm also concerned that me trying to console her while driving is more dangerous??
    any advice?
    Should I try and turn her to see how she likes it??
    she is little (like 12 kgs) but her shoulder markers are at the line when the seat is reclined but a bit below when forward facing.
    I just want the safest option for us all!!!
    thanks for your help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would change it around....just below should be fine and I agree you don't need to tantrum.

Is she 12kg now? That's amazing after where she was at ivy is only 13 kg but so tall !

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I turned DD4 around at about 18months when she started turning her head and trying to look at me in the front. She however was a big 18 month old. If her crying and lifting up is causing you stress whilst driving then I would try forward facing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    I understand why some prefer to rear face for as long as possible but I have been in a situation where rear facing forced my dd2 head forward quite hard (luckily avoided whiplash) when I was hit with great force from behind while I was stationery by a driver not paying attention. So I am of the thought that while rf can be beneficial so can be forward facing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A little of topic but wow 12kg is great @adden Myles is only 12-13kg & he started off alot bigger than Ella so big well done :-) I know you've had a lot of stress around her weight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so glad to see you're following the rules and still rear facing. I'm so sick of explaining to my family and friends why DS is still rear facing.

But, it does go by size and it sounds like your child is almost at that height level to change over. Why don't you call the company that made your car seat and see what they recommend? RF is safest but eventually they have to face forward.

Otherwise, ear plugs?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eilonwy For This Useful Post:

adden  (23-09-2014),amyd  (23-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Check the safety standards of your particular car seat but if she's at the markers and it's causing dramas then I would FF her. I know a lot of people don't agree, but to me it's more dangerous to have a child screaming and a stressed out parent than keep them RF if they meet the markers.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

adden  (23-09-2014),Curby  (24-09-2014),snowqu33n  (23-09-2014),Starfish30  (23-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This may be a little out there but does any one know if you can get those mirror things and set it up at an angle so RF kid can see the other child's DVD player?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Missbear View Post
    This may be a little out there but does any one know if you can get those mirror things and set it up at an angle so RF kid can see the other child's DVD player?
    Can't hurt to try.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyEL View Post
    A little of topic but wow 12kg is great @adden Myles is only 12-13kg & he started off alot bigger than Ella so big well done :-) I know you've had a lot of stress around her weight.
    I was thinking the same Amy

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app