+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 79
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,320
    Thanks
    1,004
    Thanked
    783
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Massive
    I've had depression for 10 years.
    I was on meds up until 6 months ago.
    I've hit rock bottom this past month and I've got a thread I started about how's it been, I just progressively got worse.
    Pretty much suffering the worst anxiety and depression I've ever had in my life. It's been debilitating and I never knew it could make you this physically ill.
    Nightmares, constantly vomiting from anxiety, I've had passing thoughts of ending my life, headaches, panic attacks, body aches, you name it I've had it, it's just been the most hellish experience of my life.
    DH has been off work for a week because I just can't live, I just can't cope.

    I went to the dr on Wednesday, horrible experience.
    I got in contact with my old dr (who is not close any more due to us moving, we live rural now and seeing a different dr wasn't really an option) and she has organized via phone everything the dr I seen on Wednesday should have.
    I started anti-depressants yesterday, I'm having all the effects from when you first start them, but I'm feeling a little better, its mainly just nausea and headaches a bit of tiredness, I had anxiety attacks over starting them as I knew it would be like this. But I need them. I know I will get better, and some of my symptoms of depression and anxiety have subsided, it's such a nice feeling that the side effects are almost welcomed.
    I have a counseling appointment soon that has been set up via a health care plan so the first 12 sessions are free, I still feel like My life is in tatters, but I can see now that things will slowly get better now.
    I just keep telling myself I'm on a journey and this is the unsteady beginning to feeling happy.

    Sorry, I'm most likely not of any help as I'm still sick with all this right now, I know there is light at the end of the tunnel now, but I still don't know when I will get there, but I have some hope today that I didn't have yesterday.

    I just wanted to say, yes, the meds are pretty yuck to get on, but they can be such a great help!
    My life would have ended 10 years ago if I never went on them.
    Also what these past few days have taught me is a good doctor dose the world of good.

    In regards to going off the meds, I've found depression and anxiety a much worse experience that what starting/ending meds is.
    I was on Lovan to start with, I was on that for 6 years, but I wanted to try something different, coming off that was fine, a few headaches but nothing bad, I then went on pristiq which didn't work to well for me, coming off that was a little harder, headaches for about 2-3 days and just feeling a bit blah, it didn't effect my day to day activities though.
    Then I went on Cymbalta which was excellent and I was happy on that, I felt normal and rational.
    Cymbalta is said to be one of the hardest to come off.
    After a few years of being on it I started feeling like I didn't need them any more, so I worked with my dr to come off them.
    They were the hardest to come off, I had flu like symptoms for 3-4 days, but I got there.
    Then I was fine. I was fine for 6 months until a series of stressful events happened and I just couldn't cope and my anxiety and depression came back with a vengeance.
    Which brings me to now.
    So yeah, they can be hard to come off, but it can be done and you will cross that bridge when you come to it.
    You will only come off them when you feel better, so you will have a healthy mind set of "I can do this!" And not plagued by the negative thoughts that come with anxiety and depression.
    You won't feel like you do right now when the time comes to go off meds.

    For me I'm never going off them again.
    I'm just so unstable right now I don't want to ever risk being like this again.

    There is also LOTS of anti-deptessants, so if one doesn't work for you, then it's ok because there is other options.

    Sorry I don't have any advise, I just wanted to let you know your not alone, and perhaps answer some of the questions of going on and off the meds.

    Be kind to yourself
    Last edited by Liddybugs; 17-10-2014 at 13:28.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Liddybugs For This Useful Post:

    Purple Lily  (22-10-2014),zooey  (01-12-2014)

  3. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    806
    Thanks
    444
    Thanked
    218
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @purplelily I'm glad you are getting some help. Hugs. @Liddybugs thank you for sharing and being so candid. @RipperRita I always read your posts and feel inspired to keep going.

    Ladies we are not alone. Thank God for Bubhub and it's wonderful members.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to made2bAmummy For This Useful Post:

    Purple Lily  (22-10-2014)

  5. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,033
    Thanks
    570
    Thanked
    331
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I really applaud you for reaching out. It’s so hard to be open and honest, I wish you much success with your treatment.


  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomia For This Useful Post:

    Purple Lily  (22-10-2014)

  7. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,869
    Thanks
    879
    Thanked
    1,201
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Lily View Post
    Just putting a last update up. I had a counsellor, DR and student nurse come and visit me. They were really good and I managed to open up a fair bit. At first I thought there was no way I would go to counselling but my opinion has changed. I think I'm feeling much more comfortable at the thought of talking to somebody. I now have a plan in place and that is I will be referred to a psychologist who does home visits. I get 6 free sessions but in the mean time all I need to do is see a gp and request more. I'm also getting my thyroid and vitamin d levels checked.

    And lastly...I have a script for Zoloft which I will fill today. The Dr was really helpful in explaining the meds and what support she will give during the process of finding what works. I feel a lot more comfortable about taking it especially in regards to my severe anxiety. So in the end I'm glad I sought help when I did and fx the meds help.
    Hi Op! Just wanted to say good on you for getting support. Having worked in mental health for a long while you are certainly not alone in not wanting to take meds. If your current meds don't work out you may like to request a pharmacogenomic test/profile. It helps people and doctors work out which meds are better suited to which people. I have had a few people I know have these tests and it has helped them allay some of their fears about medication.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

    Purple Lily  (22-10-2014)

  9. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    173
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    31
    Reviews
    0
    Just read your post. A big for you as you are receiving support from the mental health team. I can assure you if you are correctly assessed you are on the road to coping with your anxiety. I had PND after my eldest son was born and I was so unwell. But I asked for help and today although I am on meds I am heaps better. So do not worry you will get better since you have decided for therapy.
    Last edited by Rammie; 20-10-2014 at 17:48.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rammie For This Useful Post:

    Purple Lily  (22-10-2014),zooey  (01-12-2014)

  11. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,668
    Thanks
    5,719
    Thanked
    3,068
    Reviews
    25
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post
    Ive just read a couple of your threads and just want to wish you luck with the meds. I recently had a relapse with depression and anxiety and have started on prozac a few weeks ago (just half doses as Im too anxious to take a full dose lol) and feeling a bit of a failure for having such a messed up mind that I need it. The first couple of days I felt really cloudy and numb, which in all honesty I kind of liked as at least It gave me a break from being anxious. It settled down pretty quick and Ive been much more balanced.

    Take care lovely... be kind and understanding to yourself.
    Thanks so much lovely xoxo

    I'm so sorry to hear about the relapse but I do know you are a beautiful and strong woman so you will beat it again and come out even stronger

  12. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,668
    Thanks
    5,719
    Thanked
    3,068
    Reviews
    25
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Liddybugs View Post
    Massive
    I've had depression for 10 years.
    I was on meds up until 6 months ago.
    I've hit rock bottom this past month and I've got a thread I started about how's it been, I just progressively got worse.
    Pretty much suffering the worst anxiety and depression I've ever had in my life. It's been debilitating and I never knew it could make you this physically ill.
    Nightmares, constantly vomiting from anxiety, I've had passing thoughts of ending my life, headaches, panic attacks, body aches, you name it I've had it, it's just been the most hellish experience of my life.
    DH has been off work for a week because I just can't live, I just can't cope.

    I went to the dr on Wednesday, horrible experience.
    I got in contact with my old dr (who is not close any more due to us moving, we live rural now and seeing a different dr wasn't really an option) and she has organized via phone everything the dr I seen on Wednesday should have.
    I started anti-depressants yesterday, I'm having all the effects from when you first start them, but I'm feeling a little better, its mainly just nausea and headaches a bit of tiredness, I had anxiety attacks over starting them as I knew it would be like this. But I need them. I know I will get better, and some of my symptoms of depression and anxiety have subsided, it's such a nice feeling that the side effects are almost welcomed.
    I have a counseling appointment soon that has been set up via a health care plan so the first 12 sessions are free, I still feel like My life is in tatters, but I can see now that things will slowly get better now.
    I just keep telling myself I'm on a journey and this is the unsteady beginning to feeling happy.

    Sorry, I'm most likely not of any help as I'm still sick with all this right now, I know there is light at the end of the tunnel now, but I still don't know when I will get there, but I have some hope today that I didn't have yesterday.

    I just wanted to say, yes, the meds are pretty yuck to get on, but they can be such a great help!
    My life would have ended 10 years ago if I never went on them.
    Also what these past few days have taught me is a good doctor dose the world of good.

    In regards to going off the meds, I've found depression and anxiety a much worse experience that what starting/ending meds is.
    I was on Lovan to start with, I was on that for 6 years, but I wanted to try something different, coming off that was fine, a few headaches but nothing bad, I then went on pristiq which didn't work to well for me, coming off that was a little harder, headaches for about 2-3 days and just feeling a bit blah, it didn't effect my day to day activities though.
    Then I went on Cymbalta which was excellent and I was happy on that, I felt normal and rational.
    Cymbalta is said to be one of the hardest to come off.
    After a few years of being on it I started feeling like I didn't need them any more, so I worked with my dr to come off them.
    They were the hardest to come off, I had flu like symptoms for 3-4 days, but I got there.
    Then I was fine. I was fine for 6 months until a series of stressful events happened and I just couldn't cope and my anxiety and depression came back with a vengeance.
    Which brings me to now.
    So yeah, they can be hard to come off, but it can be done and you will cross that bridge when you come to it.
    You will only come off them when you feel better, so you will have a healthy mind set of "I can do this!" And not plagued by the negative thoughts that come with anxiety and depression.
    You won't feel like you do right now when the time comes to go off meds.

    For me I'm never going off them again.
    I'm just so unstable right now I don't want to ever risk being like this again.

    There is also LOTS of anti-deptessants, so if one doesn't work for you, then it's ok because there is other options.

    Sorry I don't have any advise, I just wanted to let you know your not alone, and perhaps answer some of the questions of going on and off the meds.

    Be kind to yourself
    Thank you so much for sharing your story. It really does help to see what others are going through although I wish none if us had to go through it I'm sorry to hear you have had such a rough time, I do hope you are feeling even just a little bit better xox

  13. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,668
    Thanks
    5,719
    Thanked
    3,068
    Reviews
    25
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by made2bAmummy View Post
    @purplelily I'm glad you are getting some help. Hugs. @Liddybugs thank you for sharing and being so candid. @RipperRita I always read your posts and feel inspired to keep going.

    Ladies we are not alone. Thank God for Bubhub and it's wonderful members.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomia View Post
    I really applaud you for reaching out. It’s so hard to be open and honest, I wish you much success with your treatment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rammie View Post
    Just read your post. A big for you as you are receiving support from the mental health team. I can assure you if you are correctly assessed you are on the road to coping with your anxiety. I had PND after my eldest son was born and I was so unwell. But I asked for help and today although I am on meds I am heaps better. So do not worry you will get better since you have decided for therapy.
    Thank you all for your kind and supportive words. Everybody has been so lovely and supportive I really appreciate it

  14. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,668
    Thanks
    5,719
    Thanked
    3,068
    Reviews
    25
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've been on 50mg of Zoloft for a week now and am feeling pretty crummy but I keep telling myself It's for a good cause. I've lost my appetite and feel sick a lot, I've been really dizzy and quite irritable. I also feel really out of it and my concentration levels have been a bit blah. My anxiety is also at an all time high so hoping that this is just the worst of it.

    I've gone to the gp and gotten a mental health care plan so will be seeing a psychologist some time soon. I scored 19 on the pnd test she gave me which was higher than the one I did at my mchn appointment a few weeks before The perinatal health team have also referred me to two organizations who will work with me in getting out of the house and into playgroups. They will also work with me in terms of life and parenting goals and help me achieve what I want to. I haven't spoken with them yet but they offer a lot of services so hopefully I hear back soon. My mchn also has a back up organization as well. The perinatal mental health team call me every week just for a chat and to see how I'm going which has been nice.

    I'm so glad I've started the ball rolling on getting help. At the moment I'm so overwhelmed by the help I have and will receive Its actually made me a little anxious. I've gone from ignoring my health to having all these people who want to help me which is a good thing but I'm still getting used to the idea of it all and trying to let go of all the pressure I put on myself to do it all.

    I'm sad that I can't just be happy and that I can't just cope but I have to remember I have a 3 year old, a 15 month old and a newborn so of course Its going to be hard to cope and it doesn't make me a failure. Heck I deeply struggled with one so I don't know why I expect so much of myself and why I put so much pressure on myself to do it without any help.

    So basically I feel a little bit worse than I did last week but at least there is light at the end of this dark tunnel.

    Thanks again for all your support and kind words, it really helps me get through xoxo
    Last edited by Purple Lily; 22-10-2014 at 19:29.

  15. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    628
    Thanks
    249
    Thanked
    221
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Purple Lily ,
    I'm on paroxetine for anxiety and it took me 1-2 weeks to get over that nausea's feeling and have an appetite again so hang in there with that! It will go away I promise. I also felt a bit worse before I felt better, I was told it takes 2 weeks to build up the a therapeutic level which it did for me (probably just over two) so again just hang in there if you can. As you probably already know, don't just stop taking them because of these things
    Do you have any techniques for coping with your anxiety whilst you get through this settle period?
    Please don't feel like a failure, I had a terrible time after my fourth and felt completely overwhelmed all the time. It was the anxiety/PND though, once I was better I have not had that extremely overwhelmed feeling again, I mean sure I've felt like I had a lot to do or what not but nothing like before. Before I just couldn't see how I was ever going to get through, I couldn't imagine that life was ever going to get any easier (which of course it did). Anyway, I just wanted you to know that you are not alone feeling like you do, I'm glad there is a light at the end of the tunnel for you now though

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to TableDancer For This Useful Post:

    Purple Lily  (25-10-2014)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Depression and meds
    By CountryGirl77 in forum Issues with Family Members
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23-09-2014, 16:54
  2. Pcos meds
    By Mellie29 in forum Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 31-05-2014, 18:42
  3. Ttc with anxiety and on meds
    By kim85 in forum General depression and blues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-01-2014, 16:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pebblebee
Parents spend hours looking for things they need NOW. The keys, the remote, darling daughter's treasured teddy. Stop wasting precious time looking & start finding with Bub Hub reviewed Pebblebee Smart Tag. Simply attach a Pebblebee and find it fast.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
ProSwim
ProSwim runs learn to swim classes for babies, children and adults. Our indoor centre in Plympton Park has lessons all year round, including school holidays. We also offer outdoor programs during the summer months (Oct-Mar) at Rostrevor college.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!