+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Baby cant feed without shields

I have finally managed to feed my ds without using the nipple shields. But now ive had to go back to them because when I didnt use them ds choked & coughed all the way through the feed. Sometimes this coughing led to spews & other times it led to trapped wind in which case he'd spend half the feed spewing & half the feed screaming in pain.

Then he was basically spewing all day between feeds as well & only wanted to be upright - yesterday he barely slept & I had to carry him around most of the day.

By yesterday evening he was so exhausted & distressed that he wouldnt stop crying, wouldnt feed & wouldnt go to sleep. Eventually we gave him panadol & he settled down.

This doesnt happen when feeding with the shields.

So what can I do? I dont know if I can keep using the shields because they rub blisters onto my nipples & its agony. Ds chokes on the next size up shields. But now I dont think I can feed without them either.

I dont want to feed lying down (which is what the aba told me to try) because I cant feed lying down when im out of the house - & whatever position I use needs to be one I can use anywhere, not just at home.

Expressing a little before the feed also wont work cause I just cannot hand express. So ill have to pump & by the time im done ds will be screaming the place down so then I wont be able to get him attached properly anyway. I also cant feel my letdown so I have no clue how long to pump for.

Is there anything else I can do?

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you express so you can have EBM to feed him when out so you can feed lying down at home? It really is such a good/easy way to feed once you get the hang of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure, ive never got the hang of finding time to express & not increase my supply too much etc. Also whenever ive given ds expressed milk in the past he just wanted more & more & more until I ran out & then had to give him formula as well.

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, if you meet with a LC they may be able to show you different positions to feed, because they can actually see/touch, it would be more beneficial than the ABA I think. Once I got onto a good LC it made a big difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    I agree ↑↑

Have you employed a private LC? With all the struggles you have had you are doing an amazing job. An LC will sit with you while you feed and help with techniques and positioning. You could also see if they have someone through the child health nurse you can see.

Look up The Milk Meg in facebook. I think she is in the same state as you

♥ me & my little boy ♥

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why don't you try feeding lying down? You don't have to use the same position for every feed. But at least if it works it'll give you a bit of a break for some of the feeds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely recommend a LC.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you can do some feeding laying down, it might allow him to get more used to the non-shield feeding and then you can progress back to sitting up.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    So it sounds like you have a massive oversupply, something I experienced early on with my boys.

Things I tried that I felt worked- keeping a cold pad in your bra can slow down milk production. Even cabbage leaves from the fridge, but don't keep them in too long.

Posture feeding- try it even for every second feed. Even try a football hold if you haven't yet.

The ABA have a mini booklet about oversupply and how to handle it- in 08 it was only $5, so I can't imagine it being too expensive now. Look it up on their website.

Pump before the feed. Yes, he will scream. He will also be fine with waiting a minute or two. Have the pump set up and ready to go. If you feed on demand as soon as he starts to fuss, pump. I used to just dump mine straight into the kitchen sink, because it was only the foremilk anyway. If he gets too upset while you're pumping, change the environment. Take him outside into the sunlight, walk and bounce him or strip him off a bit to calm him down. Yes, young babies can really turn it on at times, but you will find there will be a secret one or two ways to calm him down- if you are unsure what it is you just haven't discovered it yet.

When you're in the warm shower, hand express some off a bit. Not too much, as you don't want to encourage supply, but I always found it nice to take the edge off. My boobs hurt and my milk production was at a maximum for weeks and weeks.

Watch your diet, and avoid known foods that aid production, such as oats or yeast.

Find an LC. Did you give birth in a public hospital? Where I live there was an LC service free of charge through the hospital. Those women are magic. Magic, I tell you! I went there in tears one day, she told me to put the boys on the breast, she watched me for five minutes and knew right away what the problem was.

Does your little one make gulping noises when drinking? If he does, you will need to slow him down. Every time he starts to gulp, break the seal, sit him up and burp him. Then try again. You literally have to do it every time. Every. Single. Time. It's a PITA, but it could explain all the gas and uncomfortable-ness.

Let me know how you go.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (23-09-2014),Ra Ra Superstar  (23-09-2014),Taiyed  (23-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Nomsie has some awesome suggestions.

I also have a really fast letdown, DS2 chokes and splutters etc. the LC told me to try and lean back when feeding and to try different positions. Unfortunately that didn't make any difference to me.

When feeding I have found that if I sandwich my breast for the first couple of minutes, the flow slows a bit. I only do it until his sucking slows down. Then I let go to make sure the milk drains properly. It has cut down the amount of gulping and choking. Might be worth a try?