+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hospitality babysitting work/life balance

As the topic suggests I am looking for advice from any hubbers in the industry.

I have been in pubs as a DM for years but I can't stand being a manager anymore and just want some bar/gaming shifts. My question is.. How do you manage to get babysitting? Do you have a set roster? Do you do the dreaded 4pm changeover when partner gets home from work and work nights after looking after bub all day? Do you only get day shifts and put bub in child care? I need to get back to work but hospo is all I know! I don't see how it can work? Ahhh

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess it's not just hospitality either.. Any kind of shift work.. How do you manage? Thanks everyone x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I worked nights when my oldest was a baby. I used to go to work after DH got home. It sounds awful but it wasnt that bad.

I now have 3 children and am looking at going back to working in a bar, I am really excited to work nights and get out of the house.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went back when my ppl ran out wed,thurs,fri,sat nights just in public bar and hated every second of it. I was so tired after looking after bub all day, I was always angry because I had to close on weekends it was dreadful never saw my partner. So I quit and have been a SAHM since august (it's already doing my head in haha) just don't know what to look for. Are you going to do weekend closes? Do you ever feel like your missing out? I get so angry when people come to the bar and I don't wanna be there hahaha think I'm just sooo over hospo! Another thing too is that my partner is stuffed after work and has an extremely physical job and can't be dealing with her at night when he leaves for work at 4am. It just wasn't working for us!

Will you be doing restaurant bar and finish when the restaurant closes or full on close like at 12am+? Your a superwoman looking after 3 then going to work all night soon! Wowsers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just do 2-3 evening shifts at my work a week, 6pm-9pm, so leave home and swap with DH at 5.30pm. It's not much hours, but enough for a bit of cash and change of pace, with minimal disruption on my home life.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Piyamj For This Useful Post:

XmasDayBub  (23-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    When I did ut when my DS1 was a baby, it was out of financial necessity, looking back I have no idea how I got through it, I was working 5 nights a week, 7pm -2am (nightfill not bar work) and dealing with DS1 all day, and my DH was a panel beater and left at 4:30am for work so totally understand the exhaustion and struggling for it to work etc... I think the only reason I want to do it now is because I absolutely love working in a bar, the obly reason I quit a couple of years before having kids was because I moved to Brisbane with DH.

Could you look for a job in a small Sports club or RSL where the closing time is earlier?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

XmasDayBub  (23-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess that does sound better doing restaurant bar or public that closes early. I think it was the long 2am gaming closes that stuffed me as I was up at 5am to bubs and just couldn't manage. That's a great idea just need to find somewhere that doesn't require you to do lunch shift as well in a split shift. !!! Thanks guys..

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's very true.. It's def not the most organised or flexible job and def not compassionate when it comes to kids. They think your too unreliable. Just don't know what to do now that I have bubs it's so different so much to ponder and work out what the right thing to do is for bub, $$$ and my partner (and my sanity/ exhaustion levels!) It's doing my head in!!!