+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Default Bed and space ideas for a tiny room

This is DD's room ('scuse the mess). As you can see space is an issue. At some point she is going to have to graduate into a standard single bed but if we put a proper bed in her room it would take about 1/3 of the actual room space. Has anyone seen any fantastic children's bed ideas for small spaces? I googled recently and all I could see were these fantastically massive bedrooms with palatial style beds.

Laurel's Room.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What about those loft beds with storage and desk underneath?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (22-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes a loft bed and some shelving if you can in the wall.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (22-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Or a Murphy's bed that folds down when needed? Totally under-rated in my view!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulahoop For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (22-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Instead of a loft bed which are quite high what about a captains bed. They are slightly raised to fit drawers underneath

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (22-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everyone I know that's had a loft bed doesn't like them because they get hot and stuffy up there.

Get a single bed that has a decent amount of space underneath. Put drawers/roller tubs/boxes etc underneath to store toys/craft/etc.

Use a cube bookshelf for other storage if you need it. They have less dead space then other shelves like the one you have in there. My kids use their cube shelves half for books, half have crates in there for small toys.

Do you have built-ins? If so can you fit the clothes drawers inside the built-in? Or buy smaller drawers that do fit in a built-in.

Get rid the of bean bag.

Also with all the tubs/crates etc that I've mentioned, measure your space and shop around so that you buy the size that uses the most possible room in your shelves/underbed space.

I have 3 kids in one room. I'm an expert at making the most of small spaces!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (22-09-2014),smallpotatoes  (23-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was going to also suggest a loft bed, but how old is you dd? If she's just moving out of a toddler bed she might be too young? I have seen some great beds slightly higher than normal with large drawers underneath, and I agree with a cube bookcase with fabric boxes, you could get a tall skinny one or stack a couple. You could even put one on top of the chest of drawers to the right to store additional clothes or bed linen etc. My kids have 16 cube one with half open shelves for books and large toys and half fabric boxes for soft toys and small bibs and bob's. You could also maximise space in the normal shelving unit on the left by getting $2 shop small plastic tubs to fit inside the shelves.
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 23-09-2014 at 05:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We moved DD from a toddler bed to a low loft bed when she was 3. Space underneath hides all the toys has a cupboard that's pulls into a desk if needed and put the tall boy at the end of the bed.
    It's not that high, has a 2 rung ladder and I can make the bed without having to climb up. Both kids love the space under although 20mo DS hits his head walking in everytime before bending to crawl (gives a idea how low it is).
    her room seems quite spacious now.
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.sheknows.com/videos/artic...r-small-spaces

I know a family who has the ikea low line bunk bed...the child sleeps on the top and then her play space is underneath...she loves it! They take up less space than a traditional loft bed. My kids have an ikea low line bunk bed, but we use it as bunks, however the child up top does not complain about hot and stuffy up there. They actually love it!

And then get a teddy storage from ikea (they have a couple of different styles...but basically the mesh things you can hang from the roof) to save more floor space and voila

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love that low lie loft bed I didn't know that was a thing! Totally cute how they can play under I would have loved that as a kid! Still more room but not a dangerous hight for little kids