+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Recommend me a baby sling

Hi, I'm seeking baby sling recommendations.

I'm looking for a sling that I can easily place baby (from newborn) into while already wearing the sling. I want to be able to wear baby in the sling during school drop offs/pick ups, while out and about at after school activities and for quick trips to the shops to save me from having to pull out the pram.

I have searched the internet and so far my favourite is the Huggababy baby sling. But others I have also looked into are the Mini Monkey (doesn't appear you can place baby in while already wearing) and the Bubba Moe slings.

Does anyone have an experience with these three swings or can possibly recommend me something I may not have considered?

I have previously used a Baby Bjorn baby carrier which I borrowed from my sister, but wasn't a big fan as I found it uncomfortable to wear and hard to use.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bubba moe aren't great because it's hard to use with a nb safely. For your needs, I'd recommend a ring sling- fast, easy, will last years and suitable from birth

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

trustno1  (22-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely a ring sling, you can have bub upright and adjust the material nice and tight and be completely hands free. You could also use a stretchy wrap for the newborn stage, they aren't as quick to put on as a ring sling, but you can pre-tie it before you leave the house and just pop bub in when you get where you're going. I have found ring slings to be great for shorter wears, but nothing beats a stretchy for a newborn if you're wearing bub for more than an hour or so.

I had a mini monkey with Ds1 (before I knew anything about wraps and slings) and hated it, you can only have bub in a cradle position, which isn't ideal for a newborn, and you can essentially only adjust the height of the sling, you can't adjust the material around bub to get a secure carry, so a always had one hand on bub to stop him bouncing when I walked and i always found he was in a weird bent banana position.
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 23-09-2014 at 06:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I third a ring sling. I love mine. DD is 4 weeks old and it's my favourite carrier so far, and I have an ergo, stretchy wrap, linen wrap, mei tei and more! My ring sling is a wrap converted to a ring sling from an online store called gold dust baby. The sleep store also have a good range.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Subbing

I was going to start a thread with this very question , Nemmy.
    Most slings need baby lying flat to out on safely, not ideal at the side of the road with two other children in tow. My younger one is a runner too so I think the pram will be needed for him unfortunately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    I use a little frog ring sling. We have just upgraded from 100% cotton to a cotton-linen blend. They are easy to use and have bub in an upright position. When older you can carry on your hip for those sticky beaks who like to look out

Best suggestion is to try find your local babywearing group on Facebook. They are likely to have sling meets were you can go and try lots of different types to see what works best for you :-)

♥ me & my little boy ♥

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep a ring sling little frog is a great starting point, they're nice and soft so don't require breaking in.
    Things like a bubbamoe aren't ideal for a small baby because you can't follow TICKS guidelines http://www.schoolofbabywearing.com/Images/TICKS.pdf

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    Subbing

I was going to start a thread with this very question , Nemmy.
    Most slings need baby lying flat to out on safely, not ideal at the side of the road with two other children in tow. My younger one is a runner too so I think the pram will be needed for him unfortunately.
    I don't understand what you mean by baby lying flat? I just pop my ring sling on, pick up dd (onto my shoulder) and then feet first into the sling and position her, then tighten sling and we are good to go. It's easy and much quicker than a hug a bub or linen wrap.

If you are worried about kids running off, can you just put baby into the sling/carrier first before you get older kids out of their car seats? I use my pram a fair bit so not knocking them whatsoever but it's much more time consuming getting a pram out of the car than popping a sling on!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah in all mine (RS, SSC and woven) I pretty much just put DD in from my shoulder, unless doing a back carry and even then she starts on my hip?
    Unless you were trying to put the sling on with bub lying down? Which you should never do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with pp, ring sling is probably the best "optimal" for for your needs, I love mine