+ Reply to Thread
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15

Default Constantly hungry?!

It's day 3 of school holidays, and my 6-in-less-than-a-month boys are constantly at me about bring hungry!

I can't afford to keep feeding them at the rate they want! I've told them if they would usually be in the classroom they're not getting fed, as they wouldn't normally be eating but they just keep asking and whinging!
    I've tried distraction, and the ask and told method. They. Just. Keep. Coming. Back. For. More!

I don't think it's a growth spurt, I genuinely think they mostly do it because of boredom. But even in the middle of an activity they will stop and ask for food. So it can't all be boredom, right?

I need ideas on either how to get them to stop eating so much (unlikely) or healthy snacks that can be pulled out of the fridge and eaten (because I can't spend all day just getting them food, either!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can you pack their lunches like you would for school?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (22-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Make the same lunch box up as you would for school & make a pretend 'recess' & 'lunch time' then they can get it themselves... Even get them to help pack it in the morning... My sisters with older ones still pack lunches on holidays as it's easier than standing in the kitchen all day!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AmyEL For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (22-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not sure if this will help or not, but my sister had the same trouble with her kids, so what she started doing was of a morning, fill up a huge dip tray - one of those with a round bit for a dip in the middle and then sections coming off that - with carrot, cucumber, red capsicum and snow peas, olives, some dried fruit, crackers and nuts and a healthy dip. Depending on their tastes of course...

She would put that in the middle of their play area and they could snack all day as much as they wanted and didn't have to keep asking. As well as some pieces of whole fruit - but if you chop that up it goes bad quickly and attracts the fruit flies, whereas the veggies, olives and dried fruits don't so much and will last the day. It's pretty cost effective too :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Oooh I like the platter idea, thanks!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Summer  (22-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Make them have a cup of water every time they eat, and give them some protein with every meal.
    Eg - Breakfast - oats with almonds and fresh fruit and a glass of water.
    Morning tea - hummus (or another dip that uses beans/legumes for the protein) with vegie sticks and a glass of water.
    Lunch - Chicken/ham/roast beef salad wrap with avocado and a glass of water.
    Afternoon tea - yoghurt, a piece of fruit, a boiled egg and a glass of water.
    Dinner - usual dinner meal plus a glass of water.

I have a ridiculously fast metabolism and find I'm hungry all the time, but if I am eating protein with every meal and having a decent amount of good fats I find I eat a lot less.
    But thirst can often feel like hunger too so make sure they are drinking enough.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (22-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    They're probably not drinking enough, thanks for the tip!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine have 5 set meals a day. I've done it that way since my 3rd child was born, as I was so overwhelmed with constantly fetching food for each child when they asked plus feeding the baby. So they are used to it now, so if they say "I'm hungry" then I'll just tell them well it's not morning tea time yet, I'll get it soon etc.

I also have to explain to my children a lot that 'not being stuffed full' does NOT equal 'being hungry'. This happens especially at morning/arvo tea, I have to explain it's a SNACK, not a full meal and they're not expected to be stuffed full. Similarly for eg half an hour after lunch and they say they're hungry, and I look at them like "WTF?" lol, and again explain that they can't possibly be hungry, they'd still have lunch digesting in their tummies. So often I think there is some confusion about the definition of actually being hungry.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (22-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My SIL used to always do this at our place (she does it at home and gets fed), but pretty quickly caught onto the idea that there were set times for eating and she wasn't going to starve in between. We've never wavered, and she gave up trying.

We do breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea & dinner. Kids can eat as much as they want for the meals - limited amount for the snack - and if they're hungry in between then they can wait until the next set time.

Of course, not all kids will stop bugging you with that. Especially as you're their mum (somehow other adults seem to have more sway in some things!). Some fantastic suggestions from others though, re the lunchboxes & platter.

Good luck!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (22-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Nomsie, my boys are 6 and 8 and knowing how hungry they are when they get home from school, I realise I need to use weekends and holidays to up their good food intake- the only thing I have found that works is increasing the protein- it seems to sit with them longer and gives them good energy. Cereal and toast is a waste of time in our place as they burn it up while they are eating it. Same with chopped fruit/salad, they could literally eat that non-stop all day. So, brekky is eggs, baked beans, tuna, grilled chicken, sausages. In the hols, I cook a batch of sausages or chicken, a big pot of mashed potato, and they eat that sort of thing for lunch, or fish, baked veg. I try and cook it on weekends so it can last the first few days of holidays as I don't have much prep time for food during the week. It gives me at least 2 hours between meals lol. They eat heaps more than myself or even my husband and it is constant! Cutting out processed snacks has helped too. Good luck with it x ps: subbing for tips also.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (22-09-2014)