+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Best way to keep the cost down IMO is to have a small/no bridal party and a small guest list.
    Weddings can be so much fun to plan if you focus on the real reasons for getting a married and don't let the stress and outside expectations creep in.
    X

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (22-09-2014),TheGooch  (04-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you have handy friends it's great. Someone starting out it photography. Someone that makes great cakes etc. buy your dress second hand. I tried to sell mine (cost $2200 and can't even get $500 for it!)
    Look into decorating a venue having caters and providing own alcohol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Simple- small wedding $60-$100 head plus alcohol adds up quick
    Are you in the city? That's insane! Our reception was just under $40 per head for entree & main (we used cake as dessert) and that was one of the more expensive venues.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    Are you in the city? That's insane! Our reception was just under $40 per head for entree & main (we used cake as dessert) and that was one of the more expensive venues.
    Whaaaat?! Where? I live in a smallish country town, and the absolute best price I have been given is $50 a head. And that's the local golf club- it's nice, but not outstanding if you get my drift. We are 2+ hours from the city.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] Nomsie View Post
    Whaaaat?! Where? I live in a smallish country town, and the absolute best price I have been given is $50 a head. And that's the local golf club- it's nice, but not outstanding if you get my drift. We are 2+ hours from the city.
    This was almost 2 years ago, but the prices haven't increased much. I'm in a large coastal town.
    The most expensive venue that we enquired about was $48 pp, for 2 courses. The local golf club was only $32 pp.

ETA that even came with a dedicated functions coordinator that helped set up and pack up. It also included linen hire.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    This was almost 2 years ago, but the prices haven't increased much. I'm in a large coastal town.
    The most expensive venue that we enquired about was $48 pp, for 2 courses. The local golf club was only $32 pp.

ETA that even came with a dedicated functions coordinator that helped set up and pack up. It also included linen hire.

That feeling you get when you find out you are being completely ripped off...!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't consider 10k 'cheap' for a wedding. It can be done for 1-3k BUT you will be limited in choices and you will need to keep it small and casual.

Eg. Second hand/make your own dress, bridal party buy their own dresses/pants and shirts, arrange your own flowers bought from the market, make your own cake, friend to do the photography, spit roast in someone's backyard with simple decorations, use a friend's nice car, make your own invites, place cards etc.

If you theme it really well (eg. Country shindig or vintage garden party) it can work quite well and all the budget choices will make sense within the theme.

I had a fairly low budget first wedding. There was so much I compromised on to keep costs down. MIL insisted on a fancy sit down meal and paid for that part to ensure we did it that way. That in turn flowed on in to the way everything else could be done, really limited our numbers etc.

My second wedding I decided if I was going to do it again I was going to make it perfect. It was around 16k and I don't regret a cent. I still cut costs on lots of things (made the cake, invites, bridal hairpieces and jewellery, table decorations, beach ceremony) plus found my dream dress for half price. There were things I would not compromise on though.

It's a once in a lifetime thing (or should be) so think about what you really want and if you would prefer to wait a few years to do it differently or if you want to do it sooner on a budget.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    $16k is still cheap in regards to the average wedding these days though.. isn't it hovering somewhere near the $30k mark? How people manage to pay for that I will never know!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I couldnt help but smile at this thread. Our wedding was $85pp for 110 people. My BIL was $125/head in country Victoria with about 90ppl. My brothers wedding last year was 105ppl at $100pp. My best friend is getting married in noosa next month @$140pp with 86 guests.

Then add the dress, church, bridal party wear, flowers etc.

Then add

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the replies. Its good to see that im not alone with 'budget weddings'. When we do decide to get married all i need to do is figure out who will be invited. It wont be very big even if we did have a lot of money to spend.
    I dont think ill have brides maids or anything either. Ive got all the decorating stuff down, the colours, the flowers etc. Of cpurse DP doesnt really approve of purple and peach/orange but he is nice enough to let me have complete control over almost everything. But i think its because he is lazy and has an excuse to to do nothing The only thing he will not allow is the wearing of a bowtie.. Disappointing!! Theyre so cute! Haha

Sent from my GT-N7105 using The Bub Hub mobile app