+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Random idea/thought but...I was terrified - like borderline hysterical - at night for years and years. It was at its worst when mum went to bed and the house fell silent. Even now I find the noise of others so comforting and makes me feel safe.

So, would something like being a little less noisy in the evening or leaving a tv on in the lounge so she thinks someone is still up help? Poor little poppet, that night time fear of nothing is so awful :-(
    Yes I totally agree with this. I was the same too. A radio might be an option too?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you have a dog or cat? An animal sleeping on the floor of the bedroom is very likely to make a scared child feel like they are not alone and therefore safer.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My kids went through this and I used to go in and 'get mad' at the monster under the bed and the monster was too scared of me he'd run away!!! My kids also had a night light, music and/or a pet sleep with them too. It was always a short lived problem here

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    *Sigh*

It's taken over an hour tonight to get to go to sleep because she's scared.
    We got the big plush tiger from the play room and told her that tigey would look after her. Initially she was really pleased but she still wanted someone to stay with her. It's taken about 7 rounds of her night time light show thingy. I've spent time next to her on the bean bag holding her hand and gone away for blocks of 2 minutes at a time (and that takes some convincing). When I came back the first time she told me that she was scared to tigey's eyes so I turned tigey away from her (he's sitting at the end of her bed and its eyes are just black circles, nothing sinister. It's even holding a heart). The thing is that I can see she's terrified. It's not that she thinks there's monsters in the cupboard, she's terrified of the dark and the shadows and the unknown.

Unfortunately her room is tiny (about 2.7 x 3.5 metres) and no room for a mattress on the floor. (Wait for a new thread from me on how to make space in a tiny room.) We are trying to hold out for a proper single bed because it would take up so much room. There also isn't any room in our bedroom for a mattress on the floor and DD wouldn't accept that anyway.

DH slept on the couch last night.

ETA: No pets unfortunately.
    ETA2: She is now asleep cuddling 3 teddies and a giant dora doll.
    Last edited by Busy-Bee; 22-09-2014 at 20:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by acerbaby View Post
    I really, really don't mean this to come across as having a go at anyone's advice but I'm just curious because I know I may be dealing with this issue myself soon! Just in terms of sprays and teddies etc to make the monsters go away or offer protection, does that not play into the idea that there is something there to be scared of?
    DD1 had a dream catcher when she as having bad dreams but it freaked her out as she then became convinced the that bad dreams stayed in her bedroom. It was awful for her actually. But fears are very real for kids so you have to help them work through them. DD1 is now 9 and still needs our dog with her to go to sleep at night.

OP we have always had to stay with all our kids until they fall asleep until they get to about 5. Really quite annoying at times but just how they are. We also have dogs which are now used to help with the kids going to sleep.
    Last edited by Sonja; 22-09-2014 at 21:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What about the radio on a talkback station? You know, I have always been afraid of the dark - it's more the silence and what I think I can hear. When DH is away I leave the radio on (even though the kids are here and the dog) and I leave the window open as even hearing the neighbours is comforting. I know it's frustrating but you will find something that works eventually. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    One of the other things we did was played story CDs. She would go to sleep listening to Kate Winslet reading the Faraway Tree. She loved that for a while (we had to stop it once she refused to go to sleep until the cd had finished).

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    After some technical hiccups we sorted out putting the speakers in her room and downloaded a Winne the Pooh audio book. It worked a treat!! She was fast asleep in about 15 minutes without a single protest.

The night is still young though and poor DH has spent the few nights on the couch.