+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Bond girl I recently weaned DD3 at night. I just couldn't keep it up. She wasn't feeding all night but when I did feed her wouldn't resettle for hours. I would be up with her for 3 or 4 hours at a stretch and it was killing me.

DH and I went hard core. He slept in her room for 5 night and resettled her. Yes that meant sometimes she grizzled for hours. It was hard and I felt awful but each night she got better

Within a week she slept 7 to 7. Now she generally does 630 to 630. I don't know myself. It's great and the best part is she is much happier.

You've done a long stint and been very patient. Would your DH step up now?
    I did a very similar thing with my DD at 12 months except I was single so I was the one doing the settling. It only took her 3 nights to sleep 7-7 and now at 3 (just turned 3), she still sleeps right through and is a dream to put to bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Following as I currently have a very frequent night waker (8 months) and I know I need tips to cut him back!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing as well. Ds3 is 9mth old and cosleeps simply coz I'm too exhausted to wake up.

Funnily enough he settles better for dh than me so I just have to convince dh to help out for a few nights and then hopefully he will sleep well. Happy to wake up once, but not every 2hrs, that just kills me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Piyamj, no I didn't need to do the whole Jay Gordon thing as the night I started she slept until 2am before waking which was so much better than usual. And that just continued so seems the improvement mainly happened naturally. I did continue to do the plan he recommends for first three nights though which is feed but don't allow her to fall asleep on the boob. So when she wakes I still just do that. There was some crying at first which was hard but I just cuddled her until she fell asleep. She is very easy to get back to sleep now and normally only wakes once between 2-4 am. I tend to stay with her on the mattress on her bedroom floor from that time as it's easier. And then she's awake for the dates around 5am, can be later. She was sleeping until 6-6:30 before this so the earlier mornings are hard but you can't have it all! In general I'm getting more sleep than before, so it's great. Will try to totally night wean in a couple of months or more but not pushing it at the moment as just so glad with the improvement already.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (20-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    By the way, to those interested the Jay Gordon approach isn't recommended under 12 months in case they really need the milk and it's not just comfort. But you know your bubs and just doing the short feed not allowing them to fall asleep feeding might really help.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (20-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Unfortunately the only thing that worked for us was just going hardcore too. Initially DH resettled each time, but then that stopped working (DS would just scream as soon as he was put down) and we just had to let him cry because literally nothing else worked (he would wake up and scream as soon as he was put down and wouldn't stand for patting/rocking/laying next to him - he only wanted to be held standing up). Took three nights of us just not going in and now he sleeps 7-6.30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl View Post
    By the way, to those interested the Jay Gordon approach isn't recommended under 12 months in case they really need the milk and it's not just comfort. But you know your bubs and just doing the short feed not allowing them to fall asleep feeding might really help.
    Yes, I'm hesitant to not feed him in case he truly is hungry but right now he's waking every couple of hours and demanding me rather than happy to take the dummy. It'd be good to get him down to just two wakings! Even three!
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 19-10-2014 at 19:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Yes, I'm hesitant to not feed him in case he truly is hungry but right now he's waking every couple of hours and demanding me rather than happy to take the dummy. It'd be good to get him down to just two wakings! Even three!
    I know exactly how you feel. Having had 13 months of constant waking for feeds I'm over the moon with one waking. Might just be a clingy phase, hope it ends soon! Good he has a dummy to suck on usually. Tried so much with my DD to get her to take one. Boobs get so sore! If he's refusing dummy he may well be hungry like you said. I reckon unlatching before he's fully asleep is the way to go, not putting him down just cuddling instead :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hi Bond girl- we've spoken about this before, so DS is nearly one and the wakings are insane right. We almost successfully night weaned twice with just DH resettling at night but both times he's given up too soon because of whatever work commitment. Must be rough not getting much sleep for four nights...

Anyways, was just wondering if you had a link for jay Gordon's method?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, He has a website explaining the method. I googled Dr Jay Gordon night weaning and was able to find it pretty quickly. It's like a blog on his website or something. Let me know if you can't find it and when I have a chance I'll look for you :-)