+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How to soothe an overtired newborn?

My DS is 4 weeks old and has never been a day sleeper. From day dot he has been quite alert.
    The last two weeks he has been settling and sleeping better at night, which is fabulous however he won't sleep very well of a day.
    He will catnap on me for 15 minutes at a time, once or twice and I can get maybe 30 minutes using our sling. I don't mind holding him for some naps but I can't hold him all day. By early afternoon he's an overtired, overstimulated grumpy mess.
    I've tried getting him to sleep in my arms and on the boob and transferring.
    I've tried patting his butt and shhhhing when he grizzles and picking him up as soon as he's too upset and it starts to be a cry.
    I've tried co-sleeping with him next to me.
    I've tried him in the bassinet, the pram, the car seat and the rocker.
    I always make sure he has a full belly and a clean butt and put him down when he is calm.
    I believe in fourth trimester and don't like him to cry, and attend to him as soon as he grizzles but two of the very rare day sleeps he has had have been when he cried himself there. Once in the car when I couldn't pull over and once in the pram after I'd been trying to comfort him for ages and had to put him down and walk away for a while. I went to the toilet and he was asleep before I finished going. I hate letting him cry and I feel sick inside when he does it.

What can I do to help him when he is so over tired and over stimulated? Some days by the afternoon even me holding him is just too much for him!
    Is this a normal amount if sleep for a baby his age?

Thanks
    Reviews
    At his age I would hate to leave him to cry too. My bub didn't have your problem but I am expecting my 2nd and have bought both a wrap and sling so that I don't have to neglect either child (as much as possible anyway) if your bub doesn't want to sleep I figure one of these options might be a good idea for you until better sleeping patterns start forming?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If he is over stimulated maybe a quiet darkened room might help to calm him? We used to sit in the bedroom with the curtains closed and a TV on for quiet background noise and rock / pat our ds to sleep in our arms. Looking for the early tired signs really worked for us to help make sure he wasn't getting overtired. It really is true that sleep promotes sleep

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    If he feeds straight before sleep time, could you possibly feed him in a quiet room to help him chill out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by #Mama View Post
    I've tried getting him to sleep in my arms and on the boob and transferring.
    I've tried co-sleeping with him next to me.
    Can you combine these and feed lying on your side until he falls asleep then slowly de-boob, back away and get off the bed without disturbing him?
    I find this is pretty effective at getting DS into a deeper sleep during the day.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

bedlover  (19-09-2014)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    My suggestion would be to try a combination of a quiet, dimly lit bedroom, swaddling and boobing.

I had a very demanding DD, she would often only sleep 2 x 15 minute naps during the day and had to be held 24/7. To get her to sleep I had to resign myself to doing the above and not moving for the duration of the sleep. If I did try to sneak off when she was asleep she would give me just enough time to make a cup of tea but not enough time to drink it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could try a bath and/or massage. Singing always helped my bub too. I would sing loudish so he could hear me and then I would get quieter so he had to stop crying to be able to hear me.

Can I just mention one other thing that stands out to me from your post?.... It sounds like you have tried everything to encourage these day sleeps but perhaps this is part of the problem. Bub is now confused with what you are asking him to do. Have a good think about what you are happy to do to help bub sleep and what you think he will like and then stick with it for at least a few days or a week. So feeding OR patting OR pram OR whatever. He might cry but he won't be crying alone- you will be there reminding him that this is what you do when you want him to have a sleep.
    Good luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd was very much the same in her first 4-6weeks. One day I had to let her cry while I attended to an hysterical toddler. She cried/grizzled for no longer than 5mins and she was out. I actually felt horrible and just wanted to pick her up and squeeze her! Instead I enjoyed a HOT coffee!!

What I found worked for us was building a regular feed, play, sleep routine (my dd has only fallen asleep on the boob a handful of times so I always feed once she wakes).
    A regular nap/sleep routine. As soon as I see a tired sign I scoop her up, change her nappy, rock in the glider for a few minutes, wrap (stopped wrapping around 5ish months), tuck in with her snuggly (she likes to rub her face against the silk backing), say sleep tight my precious girl, stroke her forehead a few times and walk out. Very rarely did I have to resettle (I say did because she has recently started crawling and pulling herself to stand so i'm in and out at the moment!)
    A tight wrap for those really unsettled, over stimulated moments.
    The one thing that has helped us the most though has been our white noise apps!! When I've been unable to use the app for whatever reason we close up the bathroom and turn the shower on. It has saved us a number of times!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also a firm believer in the "fourth trimester" here and keeping stimulation of a newborn to a minimum.

Some things I've read recently...
    http://breastfeedingqueries.wordpres...with-the-wind/
    Scroll down to the part that is titled: "Help for the Overstimulated Baby and Mother"

and
    http://www.babydoc.com.au/faq/colic-...baby-to-sleep/

Our bubs is 7 weeks and I've been using a sling and recently a buckle-up mei tai to carry her while doing things around the house like hanging out the washing, doing the dishes, cooking, putting things away, etc and the motion and closeness is very settling.

Also, a friend loaned me the Dunstan baby language DVD and this has helped me distinguish between her cries for a feed, her cries for discomfort, and her cries for when she just wants to sleep.
    Last edited by debsch; 19-09-2014 at 21:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub settles quickly if I play a white noise app on my iPhone quite loudly near her bassinet.

Look up Harvey Karp on youtube, he has good settling tips.