+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Stuttering in almost 3 year old.

My dd3 will be 3 in a month and she has always been a very good talker.Fluent and very well spoken with pronunciation. However I have noticed lately she's stuttering at the beginning of some sentences. Now I'm not sure if it's because her brain is working quicker than her mouth can or if there's an issue. I'm thinking of taking her to a speech therapist to see what they think. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with their young one? And if so did they outgrow it or did speech therapy work?. Thanks

Sent from my GT-N7105 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi - many children go through periods of disfluency as their language develops. It depends how severe it is. Many children outgrow it. The problem is you can't predict those that will outgrow it and those that won't. I would definitely recommend seeing someone for an assessment so you won't have any regrets. They may say it is not too bad or they may recommend therapy. Stuttering is much easier to treat in children when they are young. In saying that if if has just started, a couple of months of wait and see won't hurt. But you could still get on a waiting list for public services or book a private assessment for a couple of months time now and cancel if it is no longer needed. If you are going private, find someone who is trained and up to date with the latest evidence for stuttering assessment and treatment. Good on you for thinking proactively. Sounds like you have a clever little talker who has a lot to say! Good luck.
    Last edited by wait4u; 19-09-2014 at 12:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD2 went through this when she was about 2.5 yrs old. I found it happened when she was kearning new words and speaking in longer sentences. Like you said, I think her brain knew what to say but she couldn't get it out quick enough, resulting in a stutter. My DD grew out of it within a few months.

Like a pp said, it is still a good idea to get her on a waiting list for a speech therapist just in case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just had a thread about this a few weeks ago. My 3.5 year old just started stuttering all of a sudden and really couldn't spit out any words. It didn't last long and went as quick as it came. I hope it's just a brain can't keep up thing. I didn't stress, just listens to him and let him take his time and give him my undivided attention when talking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds1 developed quite a significant stutter around 2.5. I asked the same q on bubhub and found it was quite common. I tried not to draw attention to it and didn't finish his sentences and it disappeared completely after a couple of months. I probably would have started looking into speech therapy had it gone on for more than 3 or 4 months.
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 19-09-2014 at 05:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS did this for about a year. Everytime he started stuttering i would just say 'stop, breathe, now talk' and it would usually work.

We did go to speech therapy or anything. Hes nearly 4 yo now and doesnt stutter any more.

It was just his brain working faster then his mouth.