+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week

Default Job interview and obviously pregnant.

Does anyone have any tips on job interviews when obviously pregnant? I have one today at 1pm for the position of manager.

I really want this job and i will only be taking up to 6 weeks off work when the baby is born and my partner is taking PPL and being a stay at home dad. So it is not like they are only hiring me for a few weeks.

Has anyone successfully got a job when heavily pregnant?
    Last edited by Maxwell's Silver Hammer; 18-09-2014 at 14:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I haven't been in this position but just wanted to wish you luck on your interview xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck maybe just go through the interview process and then at the end when they say anything else just say you'll need 6 weeks off at xyz date

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't been in the situation, but if it were me I'd address it straight up, because otherwise the interviewer may be distracted by it the whole interview!

I would tell them that you're the working parent and your partner is the stay at home parent, and that you'll need up to 6 weeks off at this approx date, and that you have no expectations of any leave entitlements from them as they wouldn't be accrued yet (I assume this is the case and you'll be seeking government PPL?).

If I was the interviewer I'd feel relieved to know all of that and would then be able to get on with assessing you on your merit.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (18-09-2014),KitiK  (18-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by GM01 View Post
    I haven't been in the situation, but if it were me I'd address it straight up, because otherwise the interviewer may be distracted by it the whole interview!

I would tell them that you're the working parent and your partner is the stay at home parent, and that you'll need up to 6 weeks off at this approx date, and that you have no expectations of any leave entitlements from them as they wouldn't be accrued yet (I assume this is the case and you'll be seeking government PPL?).

If I was the interviewer I'd feel relieved to know all of that and would then be able to get on with assessing you on your merit.
    No my partner is taking PPL and i am self funding my few weeks off until medically fit to work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tastychicken View Post
    No my partner is taking PPL and i am self funding my few weeks off until medically fit to work.
    You'll still be eligible for 2 weeks partner leave from the gov if your partner is taking the PPL as primary carer..

But that's a little aside the point, because it's irrelevant to the interview

Goodluck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I am due in January so after the Christmas period is finished. I think i was the only applicant for manager that can work the supply chain with forklift and other licenses at night time. I think it looks like an awesome place to work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck today!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was just in exactly this situation except I'm not showing yet. I told them pretty much up front, was the best thing I did. I got offered the job, $40k increase in salary and now feel no stress about being pregnant. My partner is taking the parental leave and once you explain that they seem mostly fine. My interviewers did say that not everything goes to plan but of that's my current plan they are happy with that. Good luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, I started my current job whilst I was half way through my pregnancy. However, I was very fortunate to get the job because my boss likes to employ people who are referred to him personally, and my dad (who my boss has a lot of respect for) happened to be the person who recommended me

My boss wasn't phased that I was pregnant. I only took 5 months off before returning to work and the guy that did my job before came back and covered my role until I returned.

Sounds like you've got it all worked out, good luck!