+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What's this world come too

This scares me. How safe are we here in OZ??

http://mobile.news.com.au/national/a...-1227062204389

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't be freaked out, it is better that potential issues are being nipped in the bud straight away. The idea is that if people see something suss or know of something, to pass on the info to authorities so that it can be followed up. A few raids and increased security measures means that the info is taken seriously, which is a good thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I'm trying to avoid the news because of stuff like this. Scares me too much to think about the possibilities and I don't want to up my anxiety anymore!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Although its scary, this is a good thing. Better to get them now before anything really bad happens.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Its all sensationalism news. G20 is coming up, so they need to make it look like they're preventing any possible threats against the world leaders. There's bins being removed from train stations and all sorts of business going on by the government for this G20 thing.

The people they've just raided are people suspected of being involved with ISIS - and wanting to go overseas to fight with them. Absolutely nothing about possible terror threats in Australia.

Don't let them scare you.
    There were a group mentioned in this article who were processed after being suspected of planning for things to take place in Aust.

The warnings are above and beyond just G20. You will find that some that get processed are linked to bigger groups, however there will be some NQR individuals who try and jump on the bandwagon.... Hence the warnings, as authorities cannot hear and see everything, there is a reliance on information from community minded citizens... Not just government acquired intelligence.

Still no need to be freaked out though.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Que Sera For This Useful Post:

Crazyfamily  (19-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't discredit intelligence agencies but unfortunately they can't stop everything, otherwise ( in recent times) London, Boston, Bali and sep 11 would not have happened.
    Let's not forget nutters like Oklahoma

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    I'm not denying that there probably wasn't some dodgy things going on, but news.com.au reporting has always been sensationalism reporting so they are always going to exaggerate and scare the bejesus out of people.
    They are provided with media releases from the government agencies involved. It was consistent with the media releases in this instance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You know, we need to step back and look at the proportion of violent crime in Australia that is terrorism, compared to armed burglary, domestic violence, Friday/Saturday night assaults. I wouldn't feel safe catching a train alone in Melbourne at 10pm on a Friday night. I know what I'm more scared of.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Piyamj For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (19-09-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (19-09-2014),Stiflers Mom  (24-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is scary but that is what these extremists are aiming for. They want us to be terrified and then they win. The plans that have been reported are horrific, but now we have become involved by joining the US again we need to expect retaliation. So glad the authorities intercepted that call but that may not stop others so we all need to be more aware.