+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    From a scientific point of view, is it bad if I go over by 60 calories.
    Ds1&2 just had fruit salad and I didn't want to waste the last bit.
    Also I still want to eat what I've planned for dinner (I've also reduced the amount!)
    You'd be fine with that. It isn't meant to be totally restrictive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    1. It could be fluid retention for that time of the month?
    2. Bottom line calories in+colories out (exercise) = weight gain/loss. If you are putting on weight look at what you are eating on your binge days and look at how active you have been (with restricting calories to 500 on certain days you will be lucky to have enough energy to f@rt let alone exercise effectively).
    3. Also restricting your calories so drastically is going to fu@k with your metabolism (your body goes into starvation mode, reserving fat stores, making it more difficult to lose weight) etc.

Sorry ladies I think this is an unhealthy fad that isn't sustainable.
    It's 2 days a week FFS. We still do eat on those days. If you look into "starvation mode" you may find that that is a load of cr@p. I think you should really do some research before bagging something you haven't tried. If it's not for you then fine but you don't have to bring everybody down with your negativity.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (01-10-2014),jade24  (01-10-2014),LaDiDah  (01-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    1. It could be fluid retention for that time of the month?
    2. Bottom line calories in+colories out (exercise) = weight gain/loss. If you are putting on weight look at what you are eating on your binge days and look at how active you have been (with restricting calories to 500 on certain days you will be lucky to have enough energy to f@rt let alone exercise effectively).
    3. Also restricting your calories so drastically is going to fu@k with your metabolism (your body goes into starvation mode, reserving fat stores, making it more difficult to lose weight) etc.

Sorry ladies I think this is an unhealthy fad that isn't sustainable.
    1. They're not called binge days - because that's far from what we do during non-fasting days. On the contrary, I'm more likely to want to eat better because of the good work from the day before - since starting 5:2 I've successfully eaten between 1200-1600 calories on non-fasting days and have completely cut all the crap from my diet.

2. On fasting days we can have up to 500 calories and rather than starving I feel amazing and have tonnes of energy. I may get a little hungry mid-afternoon but it's nothing dramatic. Most people can manage three small meals a day with 500 calories, it's hardly 'starving yourself'.

3. Sorry, but we didn't ask for your opinion

ETA: I actually feel 5:2 is a lot more sustainable long-term than the Michelle Bridges 12wbt I signed up to last year or Weight Watchers which I joined a few years ago and it suits my lifestyle perfectly.
    Last edited by jade24; 01-10-2014 at 16:08.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jade24 For This Useful Post:

Emeralddolly84  (02-10-2014),Louy  (01-10-2014),WiseOldOwl  (01-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @VicPark

Will Intermittent Fasting Slow Down My Metabolism?

There are false claims out there saying that, fasting or even skipping a meal can slow down your metabolism, and will even advice you to eat several small meals a day. If you eat normally when you are not fasting, your body will not need any adjustments during the fasting periods, thus your metabolism will remain at its fat burning peak.

There is a difference between dieting and intermittent fasting. Dieting involves going for long periods of time without food, or depriving our bodies enough nutrients. Unfortunately, going for long periods without food can significantly reduce your metabolism. This is called the starvation response or the starvation mode; because our bodies adapt to the amount of energy we burn and the calories that we eat.

Thus, in as little of three days of a calorie controlled diet, your metabolism will adjust and even stop burning fat, significantly slowing down the fat burning process. This does not happen with intermittent fasting. This is because the less frequent eating in intermittent fasting does not decrease ones metabolism unless you have continually fasted for many days. In fact, fasting for less than two to three days can have the opposite effect of increasing your metabolism.

**There's also the benefits of the body 'recovering' on fast days, reducing the risk of certain diet related diseases.

I don't binge on junk during feast days, I eat a very healthy diet of fruits, vegetables, muesli, nuts, seeds, whole grains and natural yoghurt.
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 01-10-2014 at 17:00.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

jade24  (01-10-2014),RenovatorMum  (02-10-2014),WiseOldOwl  (01-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi girls I am going to join you! I've been reading along and today is my 2nd fast day. I fasted on Tuesday and didn't find it too bad.
    I've got about 15kg to lose but my first goal is 7kg.
    I've been doing exercise 3-4 times a week along with strength training so I hope I'm on right track.
    My main problem is finding suitable recipes for meals on my fast days. I've got a veggie spiral thingo and it's great but I struggle in how to serve it. So boring on it's own!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RenovatorMum View Post
    Hi girls I am going to join you! I've been reading along and today is my 2nd fast day. I fasted on Tuesday and didn't find it too bad.
    I've been doing exercise 3-4 times a week along with strength training so I hope I'm on right track.
    My main problem is finding suitable recipes for meals on my fast days. I've got a veggie spiral thingo and it's great but I struggle in how to serve it. So boring on it's own!
    Hi! I'm on a fasting day today too - fingers crossed it's a good one for both of us

I found a great website the other day for 5:2 meals, I'll see if I can find the link and send it to you later.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jade24 For This Useful Post:

RenovatorMum  (02-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RenovatorMum View Post

Yes, fast days are boring at times!
    I usually have an omelette (1 fried egg, nothing else) with a tiny bit of dill, 6 fried grape tomatoes (with salt) and lettuce salad with a dash of balsamic vinegar.
    I use a dash of olive oil in the frying (I've counted those calories)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Soups are good.
    Search fast diet and 5:2 diet recipes

14. The Following User Says Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Or recipes under 300 Cals etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I make DH a yummy cauliflower bake with bacon and cheese for his fast day lunch. 350 kcal a portion.

At night he usually has a soup and a yoghurt.