+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My MIL was against BLW, I remember one day DS was chewing a hunk of capsicum and MIL said `Isn't your Mummy mean to make you eat that yucky thing'. I reminded her that she had her kids 30 years ago and there is new research now. I offered to loan her my Gill Rapley book to read so we could then discuss it after she was informed. She declined the book (and did not say anything after that)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no choice but to do BLW because my DS refuses the spoon now.

my ILs dont know that I do BLW because I havent seen them since last time when DS still took the spoon. That being said, I could not give a damn what they would think, it's my baby and if they ever tell me what to do I will not be afraid to tell them to butt out. Mama bear has claws out. At least now DS is opening his mouth and trying some food albeit he doesnt eat much the BLW way.

with my own parents, I just told them that he refused the spoon. A week later when they asked about it i told them he still refused the spoon, I spoke to the doctor about it and they told me to BLW. So an authority figure can work ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you.. So many replies

I especially like the idea of telling them all to "google" it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    Smile and nod whilst your handing over a banana or pork chop
    This!!!!!
    You don need to justify anything - most people that are negative about BLW honestly just don't know anything about it - everyone on DH,s side of the family were shocked DS didn't have purées because that's all they knew but after seeing him eat the first time they quickly realised how great it was and are now the biggest BLW advocates and we are now up to 7 BLW babies in the family since DS

if they are really interested give them the book to read which explains everything

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I don't know why BLW needs a name and a lot of books about it. We did BLW with DD1 and DD2 without knowing what it was even called. I just called it feeding. I think sometimes that's why older generations find modern ways a bit funny all the reading we do these days when they just by and large got on with it.

OP I never told anyone what we were doing when we were feeding the kids as babies. I just fed them.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Ask them how people fed babies 150 years ago. If they say purée, tell them they're wrong. Blw was the norm for hundreds of years until quite recently in history. Now big companies have done a wonderful job of convincing everyone that purée is the norm.

I had a lot of resistance when I started it over 5 years ago. My sister thought I was crazy- meanwhile my 6 month old boys would eat anything and everything while her 1 year old still wouldn't eat lumps. My mum tool it upon herself to read the book and was converted. (My sister subsequently blw'd her second and third and now regrets ever doing purée )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I find it crazy that family members express opinions on things like this. I mean... you're feeding the kid... what's the big deal?

Agree with others, you don't need to justify it. If ignoring comments doesn't stop them, then I'd just clearly state "I know that you mashed foods, that's not what we're doing. I don't want to hear any more about how to feed my child".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    My MIL was against BLW, I remember one day DS was chewing a hunk of capsicum and MIL said `Isn't your Mummy mean to make you eat that yucky )
    I HATE HATE HATE when people (mostly my mum!) talks to my son but is really having a dig at me!!!! Oh sorry but this is such a sore spot for me. You have my sympathy.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe the older generation isn't so much concerned with the STYLE of feeding, more so confused by the whole 'I do BLW' terminology. Before BLW was popular, I knew infant feeding as purees and finger foods. Perhaps this is what they are more familiar with, so instead of saying 'I do BLW', I'd just say more like, 'She prefers finger foods/ I prefer to give more finger foods than puree', etc. TBH I personally dislike the labelling and language around 'I do BLW', but I feel that way around many parenting issues - such as 'I babywear' (where as I just put my baby in a carrier), I am an AP, etc. So maybe they feel similarly to me, it's the language around it more than the feeding concept itself?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

monkey&&me  (18-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Parents/in-laws whinge about pretty much everything that you do differently to them. Spending time with them always causes smoke to come out of my ears...