+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Baby led weaning - where to start?

Can anyone give me some advice on where to start with BLW?

Do I need to cook all veggies? I'm a bit confused. Do I start with family meals straight away? Like spag Bol with onions and everything? Any info would be great. DS#1 is a terrible eater and I don't want to have the same happen with DS#2.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Just slightly alter your family meals in the beginning because baby will still be working on his fine motor skills. Spaghetti can be changed to pasta shapes, and yes- onion garlic and all. Babies love flavour! Watch our for packaged Bol sauce as it has a high salt content. Make your own using passata etc.

Great first foods- avocado, steamed veggies in chip like shapes to give bub a chance to have the food in his fist with some still sticking out for him to try. Soft veg like cucumber is excellent, especially in summer and wonderful for soothing sore gums, too.

You can try using a mesh feeder for slippery foods like peaches or mango.

Avoid bread in the beginning because of it spongey texture- toast it instead.

Dips like hummus (my phone says it is spelt that way- I disagree?) are wonderful and tasty and easy to make if you have a food processor.

The book by Rapley and Murcott was really helpful to me when I started doing this with my boys, and even though I've lost it now I still know enough to confidently blw with my dd. they even have a recipe book out now too. Try your local library if you don't want to buy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

moosey  (17-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just gave my kids food off my plate. So dd1s first meal was garlic prawn fettacine and dd2 chicken and mushroom risotto.

I don't add salt to my food and cook from scratch usually so that's not an issue. I didn't do the separate foods every three days.

Eta. My kids ate what we did from our laps or high chairs.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

debsch  (17-09-2014),moosey  (17-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    First foods for my two BLW kids were
    Roasted pumpkin, sweet potato and carrot.
    Thick cut cucumber sticks with skin on - on their own and dipped in plain Greek yoghurt or hommus.
    Scrambled egg.
    Pasta.
    Avocado toast fingers.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

moosey  (17-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally following this post :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I started with steamed broccoli , roasted sweet potato ( cut into thick chip like size and use a crinkle cutter so it's easy to hold) cucumber sticks dipped in goats yogurt and avocado - that was the first day - it took him about a week to "get" that he had to bite ( or gum) chew then swallow so by week 2 I started giving him everything !

Fish I flaked into little pieces, chicken was poached in strips, lamb cutlets ( easy to hold!) I made my version of chicken and veggie nuggets , egg pancakes for breakfast, he loved long spaghetti with smashed peas and ricotta ( very messy but fun !) I put garlic and ginger in everything, as well as fresh herbs - just held off on salt and don't overload their tummies with too much wheat - by 9 months he was an eating machine - as pp said try read the book and I found any restaurant or cafe you can find healthy BLW style food so taking him out was really fun !

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

moosey  (17-09-2014),someonesomewhere  (17-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I started with steamed broccoli , roasted sweet potato ( cut into thick chip like size and use a crinkle cutter so it's easy to hold) cucumber sticks dipped in goats yogurt and avocado - that was the first day - it took him about a week to "get" that he had to bite ( or gum) chew then swallow so by week 2 I started giving him everything !

Fish I flaked into little pieces, chicken was poached in strips, lamb cutlets ( easy to hold!) I made my version of chicken and veggie nuggets , egg pancakes for breakfast, he loved long spaghetti with smashed peas and ricotta ( very messy but fun !) I put garlic and ginger in everything, as well as fresh herbs - just held off on salt and don't overload their tummies with too much wheat - by 9 months he was an eating machine - as pp said try read the book and I found any restaurant or cafe you can find healthy BLW style food so taking him out was really fun !
    Thanks so much! Do you think I should hold off on bread? We usually eat the whole meal grain loaf from bakers delight and I was thinking of giving him some toast with avocado.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following this post too.. My little man isn't on foods yet but I'll be taking the blw path. I did with my eldest son but it was ages ago lol. My baby isn't quite ready just yet I don't think. Plus he's only 22 weeks..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I just gave my kids food off my plate. So dd1s first meal was garlic prawn fettacine and dd2 chicken and mushroom risotto.

I don't add salt to my food and cook from scratch usually so that's not an issue. I didn't do the separate foods every three days.

Eta. My kids ate what we did from our laps or high chairs.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.
    DITTO.
    Have them eat/try what they can from your own plate with bubs on your lap. It's good for so many reasons, one being that you don't have to prepare two separate meals every time. We also cut out salt and sugar from our diet (I lost weight when bubs started solids because of this!) - put the salt shaker on the table for hubby to add to food after cooking.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

moosey  (17-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moosey View Post
    Thanks so much! Do you think I should hold off on bread? We usually eat the whole meal grain loaf from bakers delight and I was thinking of giving him some toast with avocado.
    Let him try it but I'd give him rice cakes (100% brown rice) with avo or cream cheese or nut butters daily whereas toast every other day

I alternated between 4 different breakfasts : toast with avo or almond butter, cereal ( puffed quinoa with formula and pear on a loaded spoon) , egg pancakes ( 1 egg mixed with herbs and tomato cut into fingers) or banana pancakes ( also cut into fingers) and rice cakes are a great snack or lunch

The key is variety - even if you don't eat it - let them try it - I don't eat olives but Ds could eat them all day ! Variety is not only best for their health but "I "believe if they are used to trying a lot of different foods it can make them less fussy - oh and start putting green in everything. ! I have always put fresh herbs on pizzas or baby spinach in sandwiches or broccoli in pasta sauce so DS thinks its normal - I've seen kids have melt downs cause shallots were sprinkled over their food at restaurants !

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

moosey  (17-09-2014)